Florida Bound in 2003 - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2003, 09:28 PM
Marine Scientist

CapT

Is there anything in-shore I'm likely to run into that will require a 10 wt.? For instance, will the 10-wt. tackle tarpon that head into that area, or am I better off with a heavier rod, such as an 11-wt.? Just thinking about shark, big jacks, and so on. I was under the impression that Cobia like to hang around vertical structure in fairly deep water, likely to be relatively far off-shore much of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2003, 08:24 AM

rod weights

A 10wt is always rigged up in my boat just for cobia. The only time I give a client a 10wt for tarpon is if he/she simply can't reach the fish with a 12. My philosphy is that they'd rather hook up and lose the fish by being under-gunned than not hook up at all.

So, it's 8wt for everyday snook, redfish, etc; 9wt for jacks, or windy days chasing bones in the Keys (nearly every day, unless you get into a lee by fishing Big Pine Key or further west); 10wt for cobia, sharks, 'cuda or kingfish; 12wt for tarpon.

Check out the Temple Fork Outfitters 4-piece saltwater rods. I use them on my boat, and you can buy all of the abovementioned rods for a total of $780. They cast GREAT, and have a lifetime warranty.

CapT
Old 02-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Marine Scientist

Well...

... made it back from the Keys a few days earlier than I had anticipated. The wind was something to contend with, that's for certain: 15-20 knots nearly all week, which made it next to impossible to get any sort of decent casting accomplished. I managed to catch a few fish, though, mostly jacks and snappers, with the odd cuda here and there. Saw an enormous bone tailing on a flat near the drop-off of Shark Channel outside the mouth; it must have been a doozy of a fish, because the water depth in that area was around 12" and the upper lobe of his caudal fin was a good 4" out of the water. Unfortunately, I was out with three other guys and there was no way I could have safely gotten a cast out to that fish with the wind blowing so hard. The permit were in the flats, churning the bottom pretty thoroughly, but didn't hook any. Hopefully I'll get back down there in the next couple of months and have better success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.