NEW SNOWPACK #'s - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 10:48 PM

NEW SNOWPACK #'s

Good evening,
The good news is, we have been having plenty of rain!. The bad news is, we are now at 25% of averag snowpack Snow was measured today at 37", last year at this time we had well over 150+". We lost 31% of our existing '02,'03 snowpack in January. So far, it is looking like the worst snowpack conditions since '81 for the N. Oregon Cascades.
4 inch rainfalls were recorded in the Coast range at Lee's camp, and in the Cascade foothills at Brightwood in the last 24 hours.
Deerhawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2003, 08:29 AM

Just the opposite here in New England this year. Higher elevations (where many of the good trout streams happen to be) are well over 150" and it has remained bitterly cold. Great for skiing but I doubt the majority of the freestone rivers in western MA will be fishable until mid-may due to water temps and clarity.

Please note I AM NOT COMPLAINING :hehe:

Anything is better than the drought conditions that caused our freestoners to run dry and the fish to go belly-up last summer.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:23 AM

For drought info check out the USGS Drought watch web site.

I have to agreee with Dave on last summers impact in MA on a number of the streams I fish. Last fall I saw warmwater fish in places I never had see them before. Dave remember the late flows aren't all bad. The streams will be less crowded when the flows settle down.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:34 AM

John, you are right. A lot of people drive out to the Westie only to find a torrent of chocolate milk and never come back. All the better for us

The only problem is when there's this much snowpack - it takes forever to for the water to warm up and the fish and bugs to get active. I'm impatient but agree: much better to have cold water all summer than instant gratification. Hopefully it will be like a couple of years ago when the fishing remained hot until mid-august.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:52 PM

Talking Swap?

Want some snow? How about some of ours?

Here in the Northeast, we are on track to break all snowfall records. Over 100" so far this season, and Feb and March are our greatest snowfall months. (The record is 160")

Rochester and Syracuse are running neck-in-neck on this "dubious" distinction, and Buffalo is well behind.

Sure is better than this Fall, when we were suffering from drought. Now all we have to hope for is no serious flooding.

The Tug Hill section of NY (headwaters of the Salmon) is running about double that number - one town had well over 50" in a day!

Yesterday, we had the first day in Jan. without measureable snow. Temps have been hovering around zero for the last couple of weeks, but we are scheduled to have a few days where it warms up into the thirties - I'll have to get out on the streams for steel.

Don't wish for too much - your wish may be granted!

BobK
Old 01-31-2003, 02:57 PM

Southern Oregon is (so far) "ok" on it's snow pack but

we're at the point of cutting it pretty thin if the warm weather continues. Understand another major storm is about to go over the top of us this weekend and the freezing levels going to fall.

Fingers crossed!
fae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.