Nantucket 7/27 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2001, 10:28 AM
Recent Member

Nantucket 7/27

Another week of wind and bad weather out here, not bad for the fish but most people just don't want to go out and play in this stuff. I had a lot of spinning trips this week so Great Point has been the place to go. There are still fish around, mostly blues and all reachable from the beach but very scattered. Every trip we've done this week we have either seen of caught blues, but it took some patience and driving around to find them every time. The early morning hours have been good on the bay side of Coatue for stipers but they seem to move off around 8:00, just as the sun comes up over the trees out there. Bluefish can be caught almost all day long all around the point, with the rip (if you can get to it through all the other surfcasters) being really good. Yesterday we could see fish anywhere from our feet out to 200' or so, just after the thunderstorms rolled through. This morning surfcasters were taking fish on every cast for a while and then they moved off a little bit, where thousands of birds were pounding the water over them.
We couldn't get the fish to hit anything yesterday, even though I tried every lure in my box to get them, possibly due to the great number of naturals in the water. For the last 2 days we have seen raining bait everywhere that we stopped along with scattered birds working the water. I've started using the epoxy sand eel patterns in hope that the bonito might come in shore for those of us stuck on the beach and it seems to work for the blues and stripers too. I've also started using olive and white clousers when all else failed and that created some interest when nothing else was working.
The boats, when they have been able to go out have been doing really well just off shore. If you want blues, travel along the south shore. On the incoming tide, the Bonito Bar has started getting pretty active. Sight casting for stripers up on the flats has been going pretty well, with some incredible days out there this week. There have also been some unconfirmed reports of Spanish Mackeral running out along Great Point but I haven't seen that yet myself, unless that was what look my clouser this morning before I switched to wire tippet. For those who want a little more, there have been some bluefin tuna caught out off Chatham but watch out for sharks, there have been some big boys reported out there.
As a side note, if you happen to catch a fish with a castmaster and 75' of line dragging behind it, that's mine. There are also a hand full of blues out there dragging around my clousers, feel free to keep those if you find them...
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2001, 07:33 PM
President of CAC

Another detailed report... thanks Shane. I was not able to make it down this week but have the the third week of August off and will definitly be down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2001, 08:46 PM
Recent Member

I look forward to meeting you, and can I recomend bringing the Albie gear? They should be showing up right about then....
Old 07-27-2001, 09:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Shane, I'd like to join you and John in August. The tunoid fever should be running fast and furious by then.
Old 07-30-2001, 08:02 AM
BB5 Survivor

Shane --

see ya on Sunday....

-jared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.