Volunteers Needed, also opinions... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Volunteers Needed, also opinions...

It's usually hard to get one of the above, but easy to get the other.

I am thinking we should do the Saltwater Edge fair again in Newport, always just a touch of spring in the air down there and Peter is a great host. Views and volunteers?

The MSBA has invited us again to the facility in Plymouth. V&V?

Seattle, Wilmington are sealed. Casting clave is reserved - but not paid yet.

What do you say about the Newport and Plymouth opportunities to shorten the winter's choke hold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Pencil me in.....

I was planning to attend the Saltwater Edge fair on Feb 8th. I will help out with whatever I can. I can arrive early on that Sat for setup.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:19 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Me too!...

Although such an opportunity requires me to cross over to the DarkSide (of the Canal)...
I will self medicate, practice advanced stress management techniques, and take my chances with the debillitating effects of OffCapeItis...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:38 PM
President of CAC

I maybe able to....will let you know soon...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:42 PM

Depending on what the family has planned for me, I should be able to help with the Plymouth show one of the days. I'm better able to comit as we get closer to the event and MSBA nails down the date. It was at Cordage park last year, right down the street from Rod Builders Workshop (sponsor plug ). Looks like they're trying to get into some vacant retail space at the Independence mall, still right down the street from Smittys.... Here's MSBA's tentative planMSBA Show. They were a great crowd with a good percentage interested in fly fishing.

I've never been to the Newport show. I see on the saltwater edge site that it's on 2/8, a busy weekend for me. I'd like to make the show but most likely just as an attendee.

Reminder: Mall rat season should be in full swing by the end of March. This coincides nicely with the MSBA show. There is no minimum size and the limit is 10 per day per angler. The best flys are the gold card deceiver, car keys clouser, and ever popular body piercing poper. Remember 10's the limit but it's best to practice catch and release.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:07 PM

FEB 8th: Newport RI - Saltwater Edge

In Newport, it's a fun gathering in a large function room in a hotel with tables around the walls for guys like us and tyers at round tables in the middle. No booth setup required. Light volunteer duties, TBD.

Newport is always a great time because spring is that much closer even though it's Feb down there, you can kind of sense the longer days and stronger sun. Not to mention it's a beautiful seacoast town with great pubs and seafood bars. Pete's a great host.

http://saltwateredge.com

March 15-16: Wilmington

This is the weekend before the MSBA show. That might make it a little tough for me, I don't think I can do both days of both shows. I can do one and one though. If we can get enough coverage to split shifts we should be fine.

In Wilmington we should have the booth set up since it's a big flyfishing show. Full show duties, like Marlboro but only two days.

http://www.sportshows.com/Wilmington/wilmmain.htm

MSBA: March 22-23

At MSBA, we could go with a table-only setup with skirts like Newport this year. I'm curious whether they will have partitions or not in a single large room. In any case, we could simplify and focus on neat activities for kids, etc. Rich Soriano volunteered to hold kids fly-tying, which I think is awesome.

http://msba.net/

Definitely have to get Smitty to come hang out with us, maybe show off the rod lathe in action, whatever works for him. Smitty is a good freind of the forum for years.

http://rodbuildersworkshop.com
Old 01-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Flats Rat

I made it to each of those last year and would love to do all three but two week-ends in succession might be a stretch for me too.

I'm a definite for Feb 8th - really enjoyed last year's gathering - will bring tying stuff this year! Hey, thats only one week from this Saturday

Wilmington plus casting clave is two for one and a slam dunk for me for that day.

MSBA was awesome last year. We had our booth set up plus a huge table where Todd Murphy held some very well attended tying classes. Will have to see how things stand closer to the event.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:01 AM

Talking

I can help at Newport. Let me know the time when to show up. FishHawk
Old 01-30-2003, 05:26 AM

It's looking like MSBA is where we will need the most help.

Mark D. - your sign donation is going to be HUGE thru Feb / March especially since we will only be assembling the booth display in Wilmington. As long as we have a wall we will have a proud show of colors thanks to you!

I will chat with you offline about the topic we discussed at the show.

THANKS
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 AM

I'll be ariving at the Newport show about 11am and I will be there for the remainder of the show. The wife and I are dropping off the kids and staying over for the night at the Newport Marriott. She plans to shop at all the stores in Newport (and she can do it too!) during the day and we will enjoy a night on the town. I'll be available for any tasks and am happy to help out anyway I can.
As for the MSBA in Plymouth, I'm in for the 22nd (23rd is the wifes B-day). Let me know what I can do.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Here fishy fishy

I could pitch in for some time at the MSBA show.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:34 PM
Secret:Time on the water

Juro,
I enjoyed very much helping out at the Marlboro Show and was planning on coming to the Newport Show already so I could help out there if need be. Let me know if you need me again at Newport. I am in the throws of looking for work along with renovating the kitchen so I can only make one day of it probably.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
Flats Rat

March 15/16 - Wilmington

..and casting clave the same week-end.

Just thought I'd ping this thread rather than start a new one.

I plan to be at the show both days this year so I can do double duty at the booth.

Last years casting clave was great and I have a new toy to play with this year too
Old 03-04-2003, 02:15 PM
President of CAC

Since the Wilminton show is not far from my home..I plan on being there both days ,all day , so I will speak with juro on responsibilities... I will be there to help set up and take down also.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:44 PM

show: I'll be there to loiter and pretend to look interested

casting 'clave: looking forward to it again - great craic and the only chance I'll have to practive & learn foor my upcoming travels abroad.

both Events: If you need something, just ask. I'm avalable both days.

TMS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.