Float Tubes - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2003, 04:44 PM
Recent Member

Question Float Tubes

Has anyone ever flipped over (upset) in a belly boat? Have you witnessed anyone else doing that? What did you do? What would you do differently? Curious. First Post Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 05:11 PM

Welcome Billyboat...

I have never heard tell of anyone falling overboard or out of a belly-boat once they were actually in the water. I must admit I and others have had a few false steps from time to time while trying to get into the water though.
Welcome to the board
Old 01-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Recent Member

Smile Float Tubes

Thanks Moonlight, for your input. I am on another forum and finding out that it has and does happen. Most had happy endings, but, one didn't, sadly, with a drowning incident. Have been writing a book for yrs. and getting closer to publishing.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:46 PM

Hate to admit it , but I flipped one. How, it is easy. I was fishing one of the salt ponds here in RI. I had just crossed a small channel, and was working toward dry land, and about up to my thighs. I was walking backwards as the water wasn't shallow enough to take the fins off, and I tripped over a rockand went over backwards.If the water was any deeper, I might have drowned. I had to crawl with my hands to get in shallower water where I could get up, very scary minute.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:25 AM

I came close once.I decided that it was too close for comfort and after my round tube wore out,I went with a differnt design.Bought a Outcast Super Fat Cat last year and will never go back to a round boat again.It's impossible to flip in this tube as you are sitting ON a seat,with most of your body(except below your knees) above the water,instead of harnessed IN a seat.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:57 AM

Thumbs up

Most float tube accidents occur entering and exiting . The primary stability is high but secondary is poor. What you don't want to do is lean over when landing a fish. I am think of getting a pontoon boat instead. Covers more water. I have a kayak which for the salt is the way to go. Fishhawk
Old 01-28-2003, 12:59 PM
JD

float tubes

Get a U-boat type of tube. Makes getting in and out much easier. Put your fins on after getting in the water and sitting down in the tube. Just stay away from that funny looking Water Skeeter tube. Center of gravity is too high on that thing. We had a fellow flip one when he leaned forward to land a fish.

There is a trade off between tubes where you sit down low with your butt in the water and those (including pontoon boats) where you sit higher up with only your legs in the water. Your butt in the water is drag. It makes moving less efficient. At the same time, it acts kind of like a sea anchor, so the wind doesn't blow you around as bad as the guys who are sitting up high out of the water.

Casting is more difficult though from the lower position. The arm rest pockets get in the way when trying to cast using an extended stroke and a double haul. A solution for that is to sit on a cushion about 2 inches thick. This gets you up a little higher for better casting.

If you can get hold of some fairly stiff closed cell foam and cut it to shape, it is possible to eliminate the sag in the seat and also provide a little more floatation at the same time. This way your tube now has a semi-rigid flat bottom and is much easier to paddle around but there is still enough resistance that the wind doesn't blow you around too bad.

A compromise to be sure, but maybe the best of both worlds? Works for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.