New Ford Explorer for Fly Fishermen - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

New Ford Explorer for Fly Fishermen

I didn't believe it until I saw the auto-show footage, click here for the Ford Explorer Sportsman.

Here is the promo:

This tricked-out Explorer is designed to fulfill fly anglers' dreams of finding calm and unspoiled waters of the perfect wilderness fishing location. Based on the 2002 Explorer powered by a 240-horsepower, 4.6-liter V8, the Sportsman is for a back-to-nature fly-fishing trip.

Outfitted with Scott fly-fishing rods, the Sportsman is finished in a low-gloss, satin metallic green with satin-finished front and rear chrome skid plates that provide durability for trips to lakes, rivers, streams, and the woodlands in between. A custom integrated hood and grille have also been added.

The running boards, which deploy when the doors are opened, also serve as additional storage for fishing rods and other gear.

One of the more prominent features on the Sportsman is its fully detachable roof rack. It extends forward and folds down so that fishing rods, nets and other items can be loaded from the side of the vehicle. Modular attachments are positioned on the rooftop to carry additional equipment such as bikes, tents, or whatever the trip calls for. In a fixed position, the roof rack arms swing outward to form a basket for carrying fly-fishing equipment. The bottom of the basket is trimmed with Bloodwood slats. Also on the Sportsman are 17-inch custom wheels, halogen headlights and LED rear lighting.

Inside the Sportsman, the seat inserts and lower trim panels are wrapped in medium, pebble-woven leather. The upper doortrim panels, instrument panel, and front and rear floormats are finished in Bloodwood. Leather-covered door handles and a Bloodwood steering wheel with alloy accents finish the look. The dash has a GPS screen controlled by an on-board mouse, which allows input only when the vehicle is in "park." The seatbacks also have detachable carry packs that deploy out to function as workbenches for fly tying. These benches are removable to allow the angler to tie flys on site.

Our lobbying power is beginning to amaze me.:hehe:
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pretty neat... although the livewell is a bit out of touch for the fly angler (typically). I guess it would make a great beer cooler. :hehe:

What I REALLY want from Detroit is a hybrid SUV that allows for (1) city commuting in hybrid electric mode offering extreme efficiency and mileage in the 40 mph class while (2) allowing for a flip of the switch to go full gas mode in deep sand, snow and rough terrain on the weekends.

The rest is just fluff although I do appreciate Ford's gesture toward flyfishermen and it does have a nice outdoorsy look. I wouldn't mind having one for sure.

thanks for the scoop Mark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2003, 07:36 AM

Read last night in a news article there are approximately
4 million fly fisherman in the U.S. Any body think that is accurate ?

Love that color schme "low gloss satin metallic green" would go well with my camoflauged hats and dark green vest.

PM Out
Old 01-25-2003, 08:47 AM
removed_by_request

I just ordered my new wheels, Volvo xc 90 AWD SUV.

Pretty sweet ride, plenty of pep, and able to tackle any 2 track.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:06 AM

i'll stick with my non-endorsed ride

IFS already drives me nuts off road; I don't want to add IRS to the mix. Tackles any two-track and then some.

on my way to check out some new water
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" color="#3B5280">will flyfish for food</font>
Old 01-27-2003, 09:24 AM

Too Much

Beautiful vehicle but a little over the top for me. Those leather seats don't look like they'd take to a pair of wet waders all that well :hehe: The benches and rack are a good idea but this rig is really more appealing to the kind of person who identifies with the sport but doensn't really spend all that much time on the water.

My .02
Old 01-27-2003, 10:22 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Am I the only one trying to figure out how a livewell made it into a supposed, " Fly fishing sport utility?"

Overheard somewhere near Dearborn:

Engineer one, “ But fly fishermen don’t use live bait!”

Engineer two, “ But we just spent six months and $ 1,200,00 developing the first sport utility fly fishing live-baitwell.”

Head of design team,” Are we absolutely certain that live bait fisherman don’t use fly fishing sport utility vehicles?”

Head of marketing, " Current research indicates that live bait fisherman drive 23-year old full size pickup trucks."

Engineer one,” We could conduct a new study.”

Head of design team,” How long would it take and how much would it cost?”

Engineer one, “ Three months and $ 400,000.”

Head of design team,” Too long, we need to get this thing to market before Honda scoops us on it.”

Engineer two, “ Maybe the fly fishermen will switch over to live bait once they see the usefulness of the live well.”

Head of marketing,” Great idea-we will work that into the print campaign!”

Head of design team, “ New business: Where do we stand on implementation of the eel slime-proof leatherette fly fishing interior?”
_____________________________-

Do I smell a candidate for next year's Striblue list?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:38 AM

Jay, that's too funny. Probably not far from the truth either.

I'll stick with my old Jeep, 230k and still kicking.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:31 PM

Hey, that live well would be great for a built in cooler for cold refreshments.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:37 PM

Engineer two, “ Maybe the fly fishermen will switch over to live bait once they see the usefulness of the live well.”
:hehe: Not bloody likely!

Keep in mind. These ideas stemmed from a Michigan (fishing?) Mentality. I can only say that cause I live here. I'm a current owner of an Explorer and 100k miles later all I can say is I think they have a couple other issues to sort out before they put live wells into their SUVs. Now if the back folded out into a tying station...then they might be onto something.

LR
Old 01-27-2003, 01:30 PM
LBFF Mojo

I do like the running board fly rod storage system though. That is pretty cool and much better than my system of ductape and string on my roof rack.

Just wish ford and others would start working on the fuel economy. Hybrid engines = good.

-sean
Old 01-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We are on the same page with that Sean. Scaleable, hybrid truck engines with an on-demand override capability would be huge.

I hope the hybrid trend blossoms into a new generation of dual-mode vehicles: ultra-efficiency for commuting, full power for work and play.

How about a gyroscopic self-leveling fold-away rotary vise on the steering wheel for tying at highway speeds?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Hey Juro/Sean,

Not exactly what you're talking about, but on the right track!

www.hybridford.com

Look familiar??

Nick
Old 01-27-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
How about a gyroscopic self-leveling fold-away rotary vise on the steering wheel for tying at highway speeds?
I can see a future Darwin award candidates accident report saying "lost control while driving after glueing thumbs together with zap a gap"
Old 01-27-2003, 05:58 PM
LBFF Mojo

Quote:
www.hybridford.com
Ah man. Wonder how hard it would be to retrofit my 2002

To bad the towing capacity is so low....

-sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.