Lee Wulff - Trivia - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 10:41 PM

Smile Long vs. short rods...

I remember these arguements continuing through the 50s and 60s. Lots of emotion about "sporting" attributes of short, light rods. Long arguments, too, sometimes lasting hours.

Let's be truthful - assuming the same "action" (bend characteristics), a longer rod gives the fish more leverage to fight against his opponent (us). I would hazard a guess that's what "sport" is about.

In fact, carry the short rod to its ultimate conclusion, and you end up with a handline - and who wants to do that?

They all have a place. For fishing small, brush choked streams - even overhead - a small rod wins hands down.

For a larger stream, and room to back cast, the longer rod wins out. It mends better, too!

On large rivers, especially with no room to back cast, the spey wins the contest.

Just some personal observations.

BobK
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2003, 04:02 PM

L. Wulff - Trivia # 4

FYI: I fished with a 7 foot trout rod 6 weight for the first 19 years of my fly fishing journey. That was for stream trout back east. Last 23 years have been 9-13 footers in the great lakes. I don't think I need to go any longer than 13 foot, after all look what Lee did on the Dee with that small trout rod.

L. Wulff Trivia - 4

"On the Moise River in Quebec in 1964 a small group of us who were guests of Alain and Marc Prefontaine formed the Sixteen/Twenty club. To be eligible for membership an angler had to catch a salmon of over twenty pounds on a # 16 fly, something that had never been done before. The basic problem I saw was to create a fly on that tiny hook that would be big enough to attract a big salmon. To do it I crammed the shank with bivisible hackles, and for good measure, added a long snoot of bucktail to give it a maximum bulk. As it turned out it also gave the fly a flip-flop action on the surface when retrieved as a skater. Alain Prefontaine caught a twenty and a half pound salmon that first evening and the fly became the Prefontaine.

Since that time I have caught a great many salmon on that fly, the largest a twenty seven pounder. That pattern is one of my favorites, one of the most effective. The salmon make dramatic rises when they come for that fly, usually coming at least part of the way out of the water in their surge to catch it. In 1985 on the Restigouche, I caught a ten pound salmon on a Prefontaine tied on a # 28 hook for another first in angling."

What a master angler and creative genius Lee was, do you know how small a size 28 hook is !!

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2003, 06:09 PM
removed_by_request

I always felt that a lot of these writers(especially LW) had the me, I syndrome.

Liked Zane and RHB, guess it has to do with their style more than anything else.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:35 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
Re: Lee Wulff - Trivia

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher

Growing up fishing the Catskill rivers we always had our simple gray nymphs, and they worked.

I am sure they will also work today.

PM Out
i'm sure they would but with all the presure the fish get today it is getting harder to "match the hatch"

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 02-04-2003, 08:25 PM

L. Wulff - Trivia 5

L. Wulff on changing salmon flies.
Source: Salmon on a Fly - 1976

"The fly options are many, but I believe the angler who has the widest capability of covering the widest number of fly categories in the right sizes, both wet and dry, and the judgement to use them well is the most deadly fisherman of all"

More justification for tying and having more flys.

"Some the categories for salmon wet flys are: 1- standard, 2- hair fly, 3- low water, 4- muddler, 5 - tube fly, and 6 - nymph. I like to change categories then sizes, and finally patterns within the categories"

Another wet fly category is streamers.

Another on river variable for us to think about, fly changing strategy. The complexity never ends, god I love this sport.

PM Out
Old 02-18-2003, 06:00 AM
removed_by_request

Time has passed Lee Wuld by.

His scoffing at the long rod was a big mistake. he completely missed the ball on the long rod revolution in North America.

It always seemed to me he was more into showing people up instead of learning. His catching big salmon on a small rod is a prime example. What a way to waste a fish.

Give me RHB or Norman McClean anyday.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:31 AM

Hal and SDHflyfisher...

SDH... I think you are overcomplicating flyfishing. All too often, with everyone trying to "match the Hatch", the simple, old flies do the trick - try "a plain gray nymph" when things get tough.

Hal - I usually start fishing by spending time "watching the water", then, depending on the activity I see, I put on a favored pattern. If the fish aren't hitting, and no one else is getting either, I stick with it while the other guys are busily changing patterns. Suddenly, I start catching fish (while few others are caught). Not one after the other, but enough to keep me interested. I think this occurs because I keep my fly in the water, in plain sight of the fish, fishing it. The rest of the guys are wasting fishing time, changing flies and improving their knot-tying skills.

If someone else is having luck, and I'm not, I politely inquire what they're using. Then, I change to that fly (or a pattern resembling it) and catch fish.

Of course, when a hatch arises, I figure what it is, then tie on a fly to match, or maybe change from a nymph to a streamer if I observe trout activity chasing minnows.

What I am saying is this: Use what you see the fish doing. Observation is a hell of a lot better than conjecture!

BobK
Old 02-18-2003, 08:41 AM

Bobk

I cannot divulge my tactics on a public world wide fly fishing forumn such as this. You will have to come fishing with me some day and then you will have to try and keep up with me. Which many others have failed to do over the 43 years of fly fishing career. They were fly fishing "wannabes" who could not endure the complex challenges, physical and mental pain, and of course the greatest test of all fly fisherman, failure.

Give me a "Few good men flyfishers" the hard core types, you know what I am talking about.

PM Out

P.S. The only ones on the forumn that may be able to keep up with me are Juro and Striblue from the adjectives I have seen used to describe their fly fishing style. But that is only hearsay evidence, no direct experience yet on that.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 02-18-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:43 AM

Fishin' tactics

"When I was young and foolish", I used to get up well before dawn, climb cliffs that were thought "unscaleable" by others, bounce off trees in the dark, and put up with physical pain and abuse myself to get "back in" to the secret places, so I could catch more fish than anyone else.

As we get older, we don't get any smarter, regardless of what old wives' tales tell us. We still do dumb things at times. But I think we just learn that the REAL objective of fishin' is to JUST HAVE FUN! And that is the secret! I think we appreciate the fish we catch more - and numbers don't have a thing to do with it. (But I, for one, do catch "more than my share" of fish", as the other fisherman tell me every time out.)

I think that by taking a more relaxed attitude, we take the time to be more observant, and also to enjoy the beauty of our surroundings. I also think that "instinct" and "that feeling" have an awful lot to do with our successes, from fly selection, and method, to water to fish, and how to fish it. Some also call it "experience", but the "hunches" are more "instinctive", at least for me. (Think about that next time you pull out your back, or sprain an ankle!)

I guess my feeling is that if you are more a part of nature, you tend to be more successful. Or maybe these are the ramblings of an "old man".

:hehe:

BobK
Old 02-18-2003, 12:46 PM
removed_by_request

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher

P.S. The only ones on the forumn that may be able to keep up with me are Juro and Striblue from the adjectives I have seen used to describe their fly fishing style. But that is only hearsay evidence, no direct experience yet on that.
Aren't you the guy who asked for heaters at out Clave at the end of April?

And complains about how he can't do what he used to because of being 55?

Totally confusing references. Or a contradiction of terms.

Last edited by mjyp; 02-18-2003 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:20 PM

mjyp - I hope that is directed to Hal!

I'm the guy who was in Yellowstone for the season opener (Memorial Day weekend) last year, with a bunch of guys less than half my age, camped out in tents at Madison campground (in the Park) when it got into the 20s and snowed at night - every night we were there. No complaints here - we had FUN, threw snowballs at each other, and caught lots of fish! Yeah, we did sit close to the fire and imbibe some spirits at night, but it was a good bunch of guys, and we had fun.

Funny how a big caddis hatch looks in a snowstorm!

PS - I wish I was still 55! That's a long time ago!

BobK
Old 02-18-2003, 03:53 PM
removed_by_request

What do you think. Look at the message again.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:54 AM

MJYP

I was just kidding about the heaters of course.

Yes I have slowed down at 55 a little bit I only run 2-3 miles a day now instead of 4-5 miles, and lift less weight than 10 years ago. But I know I am still fit enough to take on the younger fellows in a hard winters steelheading day, or even 4-5 in a row like I did last spring.

PM Out

P.S. I have lots more L. Wulff trivia coming been doing some more research.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:23 AM

L. Wulff - Trivia 6

Source: Rod and Reel - The Journal of American Angling
Number Ten September/October - 1980
Lee Wulff

When Should You Keep and Kill a Trout ?

Quote:
We have no kill waters spreading all over the country. They please so many trout fisherman that there is no chance they will ever be abolished. They offer the maximum number of fish to fish for, and they provide fishing for the maximum number of people. No kill waters are crowded. Take home waters, as we know them now, are not. Good management calls for best trout waters to be basically no-kill. Perhaps, though, we can take some of these fine fine waters, and in rotation, allow some trophy fish to be taken from them. After several years of no kill, if fish of more than a certain size (which would vary with particular streams) could be kept during the one season, damage to the stocks would not be great. Those trophy trout by that time would have been caught and released quite a few times and would be smart enough to be real trophies/ After all the season of trophy taking , the water could revert to no-kill for another five years.

One thing is certain with our ever -expanding population, we can never have enough wild trout to satisfy the desires of those who want fish to keep and eat. Only through hatcheries can we reach this goal.

When do I, personally, keep trout ? If I fish on private water and my host says "Lee, keep your trout. We'll have them for breakfast," of course I keep them. If I'm fishing wilderness water where there is little angling pressure, I'll keep fish to eat, but they'll be the smaller fish of my catch, not the big, best breeders. The rest of my fish go back as a gift to other anglers.

Note, Lee Wulff was one of the primary people responsible for the establishment of no kill trout fishing on the NYS Catskill - Beaverkill and Willowemuc rivers in 1965 or 1966. I know because I fished those rivers from the early 1960s through 1979, when living back east. Sections of them remain no kill to this day artificial lures only. Still great fishing as Bob K can attest, but probably not as good as I remember in the early 1960s. Ten -20 fish days were common.

I beleive the Beaverkill and Willowemuc rivers were the first in american to have no kill artificial only sections installed on them.

L. Wulff was also the conservation leader for the protection of the North American Atlantic Salmon for many years. With out his efforts starting in the 1940s through the day he died in 1991 who knows what state our Atlantic Salmon may be in and they are shaky ground even with all of the present conservation efforts started by L. Wulff.

IMHO L. Wulff is the father of trout and salmon conservation philosophies in North America. I think that is the one thing he would want to be remembered for above all others.

PM Out
Old 02-19-2003, 03:30 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
PM you're older than my old man

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.