Farmington River - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 11:41 AM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
Farmington River

i know that there are plenty of you guys out there that have fished the farmington and i want to know what you think about it. and what flies you use and techniques you prefer to fish there. i only get to fish it in the summer when i am visiting my grandparents.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
brookie! where?

i prefer to use PMD's in the summer royal wulffs work great for the brookies in the faster current. wooly buggers work well and any traditional dry fly works

Old 01-28-2003, 05:13 AM

Talking

Depends on what time of the year. Check the local flyshops for information. As a rule the elkhair caddis size 16 will work. The key to this river is presentation. The fish see a lot of flies. The less drag the better. FishHawk
Old 01-28-2003, 07:30 AM

Smile Don't forget nymphs!

Try nymph fishing with a strike indicator, as well. Some nymphs that work virtually everywhere are hare's ear, prince nymph, pheasant tail, and peacock herl body, brown soft hackle that I tie. I prefer beadhead variations of these.
Just adjust the indicator on the leader 1 1/2 to 2 times the depth of the water, and fish as drag-free as possible, mending the line as you would with a dry fly. When the indicator goes down, lift up on the rod, and stand by for action. (yes, you do get occasional snags, but you have to, to catch fish consistently.)
Too many snags, shorten up on the distance from fly to indicator a little.
Easy? Well, yes. Does it work? As a matter of fact, yes. When fish aren't rising to dry flies, use this technique.

BobK
Old 01-28-2003, 08:50 AM

Missed this thread earlier. A couple of things that have worked for me on the Farmington are: fishing above or below the TMA's and fishing pocket water in fast stretches. The spots above or below the TMA's get a less pressure from fly fisherman than in the TMA's. So the fish are less likely to know your fly is a fake.
Fishing the pocket water covers up a multitude of angler sins. The noise of the river drowns out any noise from poor wading and the fast water makes a fish to think fast if it is to eat. Put your fly on the seams between fast & slow water around rocks. If you pursue this approach you will need a wading staff and felt sole boots at a minimum to be safe wading. A life preserver is a usefull adition. I've taken some unplanned swims in the Farmington and that water feels cold no matter what season.
There are some good shops near the river, they can give you good advice on what flys to use.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:42 PM
brookie! where?

there's this one spot that i love but i won't tell you where it is. there is a man made structure that makes a large pool for the fingerling trout just ahead of it is a 3' riffle i have caught many trophy size trout is this riffle . the current isn't fast the surface is very rough like little mountain peaks and the trout can't see the flies too well so they aren't as picky. just down stream of that spot there is a nice pool created by some large rock where the big boys hang out really close to a beaver dam. get hung up alot but the fish are big.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.