Nor Vice - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 10:20 AM

Nor Vice

We have all seen Norm work his magic at the shows. Anyone out there buy one? How do you like it? What's good/bad? I have always wondered how it would work for someone else.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Recent Member

Eddie,
I currently own a renzetti, dyna king, old regal, and my norvise.
I have to say the norvise is very easy to use. All the tricks you see in the video are straight forward and a snap to replicate. Dubbing, palmering, and ribbing are the real advantages. The rotation of the vise gives you a constant tension and increased accuracy when applying materials. Just make sure that the shank is perfectly inline with the top of the jaws!!!!!
The only down side of the vise is that it isn't very easily opened when removing the hook to change positions. Nothing is perfect and it is a minor hitch in an otherwise well designed tool. Vises are like fly rods. Very personal choice that can only be determined by the tier and the tier alone. As a user of the Nor Vise, I am extremely satisfied and would give it a "two thumbs up" for anyone who wants to maximize their time at the vise.
I still use my renzetti for any trout flies under #18. I think the angled jaws make it easier to work with smaller flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2003, 12:08 PM

By the time you get to Nor Vice, you already have a couple. It is nice to have options.
Once you've used the Regal, evey other vice seems like a pain in the neck.
What jaws and options do you have? What are the hook ranges that worked well. Is it hard to learn the new tricks, and unlearn some old ones? Thanks for your reply, Eddie
Old 01-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Recent Member

Eddie,
The tricks are easy. No joke.......I would say spinning the hackel is about as hard as learning to tie a post for a para adams. You mess up once, rewatch the video. You get it right and never forget. I upgraded to the saltwater jaws. I have the renzetti so.....small flies already had a home. I also opted for the norvise table and thread post ($60). Time is my most valuable commodity and I just don't have time to make the darn thing. For 60 beans...it's nice and I am happy.
I didn't get the auto bobbin. I tie with mono quite often and couldn't see spooling that bobbin with a drill and not ending up with a catastrophic birds nest.
The fly I posted was tied on a 4/0 dai-ichi. I use gammi octopus and uki 4/0 and 5/0 and the sc16 (3/0 only). So...it can handle the big stuff. I like the carbon/stainless hooks and they are generally wider in diameter than your run of the mill ss.
Last night I tied up a bunch of gorrel's shrimp pattern size 8 for a trip to Belize that is right around the corner. It did fine. I even tried doing a paraloop midge size 18. It worked but I think it was a little rough on the hook.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:03 PM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Eddie

I have to echo One more Cast...I have had a Nor-Vise for some 8 years now and rarely tie on my Regal anymore...I too have the dubbing table and thread post. With it you can make some of the most incredible dubbing brushes by trapping fur ( I prefer seal) between two strands of copper wire. If you are going to be at the Seattle show. I have donated a series of 9 flies, they are called the Psuedo Spey. Originated by Alec Jackson, another proponent of the Nor Vise. The rear half of the body is spun silk and silver wire, with the front half of the body being a seals fur dubbing brush. I will try to post a picture for all to see..I try to post it here as well as the Seattle show to show what can be done with the vise.

I tie every year at the Castlegar fly fishing symposium, using the Nor-Vise and it quite literally is standing room only around the vise. People just cannot believe what it is capable of.

As for the bobbin I had Norm Norlander ( inventor of the vise ) send me up a spool arbor for winding thread onto the spools. No problem....I wouldn't tie with any other bobbin if I can get away with it.

I would love to make one of the Spey claves soon and do a demo for the members...You really have to see it to believe it

Go out an buy the vise, bobbin and dubbing table. It comes with the Video and as One More Cast said....if you dont get it right the first time ...jsut rewatch the video.

Norm is first rate in service to. He refit my older vise to take the new tube attachment....Free....his customer service is second to none.( the benefit of a smaller business)

Best regards...jake

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:17 PM

Location: The West Kootenays mighty Columbia, Dean, and one day the Thompson
Pics Have been posted

Eddie and One More cast...have a look under the General section then go to Seattle show thread to see the Psuedo Spey flies tied using the Nor Vise

regards.....Paul ( a.ka. Jake)

Tight Lines and Screaming Reels!!!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:51 PM
JD

Get a hold of the Alec Jackson video. Alec does some interesting things with the Nor Vice.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Recent Member

Smile

Eddie
I have a Norvise that is for sale comes with carring case bobbin,video and a bobbin rest, it has neverbeen used.

If you are interested email me at finfun@naisp.net

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.