Steelhead decline? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Sponsor

Steelhead decline?

Here's an article I found about a decline in the winter run steelhead.

Mike Chamberlain, owner of Ted's Sport Center in Lynnwood, decided to take a little field trip over the weekend to see for himself whether or not this winter steelhead season is as bad as everyone is saying.
"So I started up the line, about noon, driving the Snohomish/Skykomish, up to the North Fork Stilly, the Sauk and then down the Skagit," Chamberlain said. "I talked to bank fishermen and boaters taking out at several access ramps, and you know how many total fish I saw? One, caught by a guide on the Skagit."

Chamberlain said a state Department of Fish and Wildlife enforcement officer stopped in the shop last week, and the two of them tossed around the idea that this is the worst winter hatchery steelhead season the pair of them had ever seen.

Chamberlain said there were reports recently of small bunches of fish in several of the southwest rivers - Wynoochee, Satsop, Humptulips - but not many.

Bob Gooding at Olympic Sporting Goods in Forks said the relatively - and he stressed the word "relatively" - good fishing on a handful of the rivers on the Olympic Peninsula was pulling horrendous pressure from around the state.

"We've got every steelheader in Western Washington over here," he said, "and I can understand that, based on what other areas have to offer this season."

Gooding characterized the action in his area as "not great, but fishable."

"If a 10 is the top of the scale, and if, most seasons, we're fishing here at a 7 or 8, this winter it's been probably a 4 or 5," he said. "But even that beats the 1 or 2 on most of the other streams around."

Gooding said the Hoh probably has been the most consistent producer, followed by the Bogachiel. Rain the middle of this week could be the catalyst needed to bring fish into the Sol Duc, he added. The Sol Duc is a well-known "late" river that usually turns on by the end of January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Unhappy Yeeow~

Thanks Will - that sure explains a lot!

I sure hope the natives have a better showing or there will be no more Puget Sound rivers left open to fish in the spring!

Fingers crossed,

DS
Old 01-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Sponsor

A different article that disagree's?

Just found another article that says it really not as bad as people are saying. Click Here for the article
Old 01-23-2003, 02:52 PM

Time to head to Oregon, its warm and fresh chrome are in the rivers per this article and my other on river sources.

PM Out
Old 01-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Now, if you'd trade in some of those frequent flyer miles ..

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Time to head to Oregon, its warm and fresh chrome are in the rivers per this article and my other on river sources.

PM Out
you could hit the Charity Spey Clinic AND be here at the peak of our winter run season. A "win-win!"

Bob, Nate, Dave, Steve, Way, Joan and Fred
Old 01-23-2003, 08:14 PM
removed_by_request

We have the fish, conditions were not too favorable for them to make their fall run.

Besides who would want to sit in 50d weather when you can enjoy all this fresh Canadian sub zero air we are getting.:hehe:
Old 01-24-2003, 01:44 PM

News paper article

I'm kinda suprised that you found the article as it was written in a local news paper here in our little corner of Washington State. The Everett Herald. Now Wayne Kruse is known nation wide. Not to bad for a small town news paper.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Sponsor

Google News is a wonderful tool where you can find information from every newspaper no matter how small the town. Very Cool!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:23 PM

I love Google been using it since 1998.

PM Out
Old 01-24-2003, 03:18 PM
removed_by_request

Al Gore invented it.

I was using it when it had 1 g.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.