Annual Fly Tying Awards? - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Marine Scientist

Annual Fly Tying Awards?

Don't know if anyone has brought this up, but...
Has anyone thought about having an "awards ceremony" for some of the spectacular tiers in the forum? Such categories as Most Innovative Tier, Most Prolific Tier, and so on could be included, as well as awards for particular classes of patterns, such as Most Innovative Flatwing, Crab, Shrimp, Salmon Fly, Topwater Fly, etc. Pictures would be submitted by some deadline, and winners could be determined by votes from members; perhaps the winners would each get something like a gift card from a tying materials supplier. Might be interesting. There's so much obvious talent in the forum, what could it hurt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I like it! How about we use it as a way to kick off the new fly pattern archive project, now underway? That way we can vote on each pattern over a period of time, and award the winners periodically.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Marine Scientist

Exactly. I would imagine that such a soft competition might coax even more tiers to come out of the closet and submit samples of their work, increasing the number of patterns archived. Maybe having the competition run during the colder months, when more of us are at home tying and dreaming of calm flats filled with fish, would get a greater participation, since it might be tricky to get people involved when the fish are biting. Just a thought.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:26 PM

Cool I suggest one rule...

Striblue is a judge - otherwise we make a special category...
Old 01-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Marine Scientist

Fine with me, though I think that there should be a panel of judges, an odd number such as three. They, whoever they end up being, would be able to determine which criteria to judge upon. Striblue, how about it?
Old 01-26-2003, 02:55 PM
President of CAC

What ever you guys want to do is fine with me..I just want to be sure to finish the swaps,,,but anything to keep this tying board the best there is. Infact the third and final swap was going to be any fly of originality..no coping from some other tyer.. coping technique is obviously ok.. but it would have to be a fly of originality as to tying and contruction as well.. I want the guys to push the boundaries... This is want it is all about... so maybe we can combine this with the final swap..or any other way you want to do it...I am game.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Marine Scientist

I want to be in on that swap...

... got a mantis shrimp pattern I've been working on that's unlike any I've seen so far. Takes an age to tie, but looks great. I'll see about getting some pics up.
So who's going to orchestrate this competition?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:57 AM
President of CAC

I will not be able to since I need to follow though on the swaps. I will help out anyone who will meister this..but not be the meister.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:22 PM

Lightbulb An idea

If everyone sends in their entries (to a meister TBA) - they can be judged at the casting clave in March...3 to 5 prominent members in attendance can be chosen as judges - the flies laid out and voted upon, then sent back afterwards...

The only "work" would be for he meister to show up (with the flies of course) and mail 'em back out!

Sound like a good idea?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Marine Scientist

Fine with me; who's going to step forward to be the meister? Obviously someone who lives up in the New England area. I'm between Georgia and Florida most of the time, so I'm out of that running.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up

O.K. looking for a MIESTER, someone to collect flies,pattens,pic's,
just let me know, an we can start any time you like. (I won't tie or enter). 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 01-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Marine Scientist

Category proposals

For the actual categories, how about...
Tarpon Patterns
Crab Patterns
Shrimp Patterns
Squid Patterns
Poppers
Subsurface Patterns
Flat Wings
Other Baitfish Patterns with Epoxy
Other Baitfish Patterns without Epoxy
Bluewater Patterns

That's 10 categories, which seems like a bit much to me, but they cover nearly everything likely to be submitted. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions? For instance, we could stipulate that a category must have at least 6 flies have submitted by different tiers in order for that category to remain active in the competition. Also, to help with the costs, how about a $5 entry fee for each fly submitted, which means that the winner takes the kitty. The more entries per category, the greater the competition and the bigger the pot.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:24 PM

Cool I can meister...

I'll collect, number and put 'em on a board and deliver to the casting clave/show - judges will be voting on a number (not a name).

entrants must include the recepie & how-to instructions (for the book project!).

"entry fee" money can go towards 1st, 2nd, 3rd & honorable mention prizes - the rest should got to the board IMHO...I think it could be a self-sufficient project.

Juro/John - can we get an announcement bannner or something to announce the kick-off to all or shoud I just start a sign up thread?
Please email me at tms@brpulusa.com with direction - thanks.

TMS
Old 01-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Marine Scientist

Does that mean that the top three flies out of the entire competition are the only ones that will "win anything"? I realize the importance of funds to the board, but I think that a good way to operate this competition would be to perhaps split the toal entry fees between the board and the winner of each active category. That way, the tier is recognized for tying the best fly among others submitted by a group of his or her peers. In the event that the judges all prefer one type of pattern in particular, this still ensures that ALL categories have winners. Just my $0.02. Juro, John, do you have any input on this?
Old 01-30-2003, 07:30 AM
Marine Scientist

By the way, in the "minimum of 6 entries per category" scenario, that means that at $5 per entry, the winner would receive $15 for winning and the board would get the other $15, in the event of a 50/50 split. If all 10 categories are active, the board gets $150 out of it. Not a lot, but then again not too bad, either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.