Muskegon River Reg Changes - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2003, 02:54 PM
removed_by_request

No real way to get around it, just keep in your mind that all the yelllow rod toting Opies paid for the right to eat every thing they catch.

I fully expect the pollutants in these fish to take a toll on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2003, 12:37 PM

Hey Hal,
Yes, I'm still around. And yes, I have been angling. It's been pretty slow due to the cold snap. (I think) Yesterday was the warmest it's been in a while, but, still not too much activity. We would have cannonballed if it wasn't for my buddy saving the day with a beasty 12"er.:hehe:
Still good to get out and throw a line. I can't stand cabin fever. You can only tie so many flies and catch up on gear maintinence for so long before you just gotta go fish.
I read the GR Press article too. I thought it was well written and a good account of the situation. Especially the "Anything less would be scientifically laughable." part.
I have said it before and MJ has said it too. The only thing that we can do is educate people on the benefits of a quality fishery. What is really disturbing is at the meeting the MDNR said they were thinking about opening up the brown season at the end of october so people could harvest the lake runs and eat em.

John
Old 02-03-2003, 01:02 PM

John,

What ! Thats very disturbing about opening the trout season beyond the Sept 30th state wide closure just for lake run browns.

Where can I send an email of protest to ?

PM Out
Old 02-03-2003, 01:57 PM
removed_by_request

Those Lake run pigs are loaded with bad stuff. They will take their toll on any one fool enough to eat them.

Perhaps a compromise would be in oreder, let them keep 1 or 2 fish a day no more no less. It is a far side better than 5.

I was suprised by the amout of Mi. and Ind. guys who keep and eat them. Never would have figured it was that many.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:01 PM

Rick Oneil is the Muskegon River Biologist for the MDNR. I would direct your comments to him. They dropped it in as kind of a side note at the beginning of the meeting and everyone was kinda like "Huh?" "Did he just say that?"

I think their next move is to make eveyone fish with cane poles and corn. We got us a real good trout pond up here in Michigan!!! All the 10" trout it'll take to fill yer belly!
Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM

I have not eaten a great lakes fish since 1984.

Pm Out
Old 02-03-2003, 06:39 PM
removed_by_request

The only two great lakes (Lake Michigan) fish I have ever eaten and would today is smelt and perch. Both very tasty fare especially chased with a good brew or two.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:14 PM

Stream resident trout are OK, but I am too lazy to keep, clean, and cook them, etc.. So they all go back.

PM Out
Old 02-04-2003, 03:32 AM
removed_by_request

Nothing tops a perch or walleye.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:55 AM

How many MO steelhead smolts will be killed by the increased bait flingers ? How depressing.

PM Out
Old 02-04-2003, 11:01 AM
removed_by_request

Probably not as many compared to the bloody commorants.

You have to figure PNW fish get preyed upon by otters, eagles, and seals not to mention bigger fish. The also get commercially fished(we don't have that issue) so it may all even out.

Not much to do about it, wish it would change but people pay for that right. Perhaps a barbless hook reg. may help.

This just gets into more and more regulations which are useless if not enforced.

Best option educate them and you will have a smarter and more concerned fisherman.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:23 PM

I posed the smolt question to the MDNR. The response I got is that the smolts are gone when they hit 8". Here is what I found interesting. They didn't argue the point that the river produces smolts....naturally. So we have a population of naturally reproducing steelhead in the Mo now eh? They didn't deny it in a letter that I have. Too warm for trout....but, not too warm for Juevenille steelhead? Hmmm.....

MJ's is right too. Those poor souls get POUNDED by commorants at the mouths. Heck you should see all the Eagles and Osprey on the Mo. How about the biggest smolt killer though......Mommy and Daddy!

LR
Old 02-04-2003, 04:06 PM

I had always thought the MO had wild steelhead. Wild smolts stay in the river two years at least so the bait flingers will have their day with deep gutted fish. Makes me sick to think about it further.

PM Out
Old 02-04-2003, 06:16 PM
removed_by_request

The same thing happens in the PM, Big and little Man, Betsie etc.

It happens, one plus is that it has been happening for a long time. Guess what? We still have good returns of fish to enjoy.

Fish that survive to adult hood are special fish, strong and wary. It's all part of the learning curve.

I don't hold nothing against bait guys, they paid for the right to fish the way they know how. Downside they kill most fish young, old, and inbetween.

Getting ticked off at them promotes the elitist fly fisher attitude. If thats what Fly fishing is about instead of sharing, then we all missed the point.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:15 AM

Lipripper or any one else

Whats the latest on this issue ?

PM Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.