One small contribution to the site - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2001, 11:07 AM

One small contribution to the site

Inspired by Chris's initiative on the decals, I would like to offer to help out with the site workload a bit by taking the "hat logistics" off Juro's plate. Juro, if you send me any info you think would help get me started, I'll take the ball and run with it.

Granted, this just a small contribution that won't free up enormous amounts of your time, but it's a start!

Thanks, Juro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2001, 11:21 AM

Thanks Bill, this kind of help goes a long way.

Roop
Old 07-24-2001, 12:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Juro,

I too have been thinking about ways to help.

Most recently, I've been brainstorming ways to generate more $$$. With ads, increased membership, donations, etc...

I'll email you a few ideas once I get a chance to format my notes so they'll make sense to someone other than me.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bill -

Your offer couldn't come at a better time - we're just about out of them. The Doogue's have also offered to help in this area, so you'll have help. I will type up the details of what I learned during the first round. The cost will be down to the hats themselves, no design / embroidery tape set-up fees which were a large part (over 25% if I recall) of the first round costs.

They can exclude parts of the original pattern and change colors, but any additions or other changes will require a new tape to be cut. The stitching can be re-used for anything - shirts, etc.

Jeff -

That's an area we could really use some help. Mark Doogue has been working on some really cool ideas as well, which I really appreciate. As we learn how to spread out the workload the returns will be better for everyone... definitely more timely than waiting on me, I'm afraid.

Maybe it would also help if I made a list of the duties that the site calls for and open it up for anyone interested in taking a role (volunteer basis of course).

People have already made huge contributions of good will and useful information to the community and that's as good as gold. With some of the workload spread out the unfortunate delay factor might be eliminated as well.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 07-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Juro,

I think that it would be great if you made up a list of duties that need to be completed in order to keep the site running. I would be more than willing to take a few action items upon my shoulders.

I was also wondering if anybody would be interested in some fleece pullovers with the forum logo on the chest (perhaps with a little Doogue artwork thrown in as a potential bonus). Back when I was in school (in NH, where I live now) I knew of a place that did good quality embroidery work on the cheap. Any interest?

I am also interested in writing up an article detailing how I fished Alaska on the cheap. If forum members dream of salmon choked rivers and non-stop fly action, but fear that they cannot afford the trip to AK, then they would benefit from the details of my experiences (READ: remote US Forest Service Cabins for $20-25/day).

What do I need to do in order to get you an article? What format do you prefer?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-25-2001, 10:24 PM

Thanks, I will work on the list. The impact of people's involvement will be HUGE.

Article text:
For articles, I prefer either raw text (.txt) unless it's formatted into the finished product in which case html is the best. See below.

Photos:
Photos are fine, I can scan them. If you have jpegs, the images should be of reasonable byte size, say under 50k each, which I usually play with to try to get under 25k before publishing.

Slides:
Slides are tough but one of the things I would like to finance with our funds is a new scanner that scans slides as well as photos. Costco has one for $299 with a multiple slide scanning adapter included in the package. It's not a slim flatbed like some of the $99 models but it comes with a slide scanner. High-end slide scanners run over $1000, way out of the Forum's budget.

HTML:
I typically use tables to keep the width of the article within 550 pixels wide. I set the table to center justified and split rows to get images and text next to each other. Font is verdana hgt 10 pts (8pts for the small text) and 12 pts for titles, etc.

That's about it... of course if you send me a .txt file and some photos I can do the rest. I just thought I would include the rest of the details in case you were interested.

BTW - Netscape comes with a free editor (composer). The build-your-own tools tend to build very complicated tables that I end up having to tear apart, so I would prefer plain text over self-service site builder tools.

I use frontpage for those who might also have access to it.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
Maybe a side bar or a topic header like the flytalk-expertise-destinations etc. at the top of the site page might be an option. You could list the different items you want delegate allowing any members interested to peruse them and choose what might be something they could take on. When one is taken the list could be modified. A dialog with you could assure your goals are met. The FFF Member decals I metioned I could have done for next to nothing and they could be sold on a site page reserved FFF goodies for sale. Also, maybe some alerts could inform the membership of needs of the club. I think we would all like to know if there is a critical need to see that this doesn't go away.
Chris
Old 07-26-2001, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
[quote]juro (07-25-2001 11:24 p.m.):
Slides are tough but one of the things I would like to finance with our funds is a new scanner that scans slides as well as photos. Costco has one for $299 with a multiple slide scanning adapter included in the package
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Juro, not sure exactly what you're looking for, but if purchasing a low-end (just for web) scanner, you might consider a flatbed like the Epson1240U Photo scanner. Comes with transparency adapter and film holders so you can scan flat file/3-D, slides, 35mm, 120 (up to 6x9), and 4x5. The flatbed (for prints) is stellar for the price. Scanning software is not great, but suffices. As with all these low end scanners, the weakest link will always be color negatives. If semi-proficient with Photoshop; however, it's workable. Positive transparencies...better. B&W...better yet. For the price, its a pretty darn good scanner...simple (USB) and fast too. As you've indicated, to get a good dedicated 35mm scanner you'll jump straight up to $1000 (entry). 120 and you're talking $4500.

Price: $220-$270
Old 07-26-2001, 07:33 PM

I have been using a Mustek brand $49 scanner that I bought for our home computer a couple years ago, which seems to do the trick for photos but the ribbon cable occasionally catches in the scanning mechanism and I have to take it apart. It does not handle slides.

I don't think I would ever need negatives (?) but I do get slides and can't do much with them. I was lucky enough to get Steve Moore to scan the last batch, Bob Mertens the batch before, etc - but I think eventually it would be nice to have a decent scanner considering the amount of image scanning I do and the current inability to scan slides.

There are a millions of things we could use but a decent scanner is pretty fundamental for a website operation. I like the price of the Epson, in fact I think that was what Steve had. I also like the fact that I can pick up the Costco one without shipping delay or cost. A retailer search for Epson Photo SE indicated Merrimack NH (no tax) and Cambridge MA as closest per my zip code, we'd need to call for stock as well.

Just looked into the current account balance and if there are no objections from contributing members then I will choose one of these lower priced scanners so I can get an article from a very special guest published in a timely manner.

Voice any objections here or by email.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:15 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Juro,

If you want me to pick up the scanner in Merrimack, NH then I will charge it myself and we can square up later.

Let me know.

Mike
Old 07-26-2001, 09:21 PM

It would save sales tax, thanks that's a great option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.