Good Stuff You Saw At The Marlboro Show? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 01:11 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Good Stuff You Saw At The Marlboro Show?

1. Striblue's flies. Shoulda' kept them under your hat until they were complete, what with all those thieving fly tier-types wandering around there...

2. T & T Helix rods. Nice. Imagine a sweet salt water 6-weight for those baby stripers?

3. Temple Forks 12'6" 8/9-weight two hander. This is now a production rod with a retail price of $ 299. Typical TFO value for dollar, unbelievably lightweight and well-finished. I don't know squat about spey casting, but it made short work overhead casting a full WF10I. Flexes a little more deeply than I would like for overhead casting, but the best low dollar two-hander I have seen yet. Note to self: Acquisition reccomended.

4. Rio T-14. Throw away your LC-13 and call your Rio dealer now! When you see this stuff, you will never suffer those leadcore heads again. About eleven bucks for 30'.

5. Rio Clouser lines. How can you not buy a line made specifically for clousers?

Most dissapointing: Long-awaited new reel from giant fly rod manufacturer. Ugh! Finish worthy of Pflueger, yet priced like a quality reel.

Conspicuously absent: Orvis, Loomis.

Avoid at all costs even if they are giving it away: The Clam Chowder & the hot dogs.

Great seeing everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 01:18 PM
President of CAC

Jay, nice seeing you and speaking with you...now stay away from that Pate tarpon Reel...you already have the 'NEW" top line reel with that Austrailiam bueaty. .... and to think...you ordered another. too.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Thanks for the reminder John, I knew I was forgetting something. Saw a dealer selling brand new Pate DD RH Marlin for $ 348. If somebody wants to scoop that up, e-mail me for the details: masssalt@yahoo.com

Good tuna reel if you are the knuckle-bruiser type.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Fluff

Sorry we didn't get to connect Jay. Guessing you were there Saturday? We made a quick pass by the booth on our way out.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Pencil me in.....

More Good Stuff

1. Striblue's Flies
2. Scott 8'8" 8 wt. for salt
3. Saturday Dinner

absent

St Croix
Old 01-19-2003, 09:12 PM

I was studiously avoiding looking at rods & reels focussing on incidentals. My big find was the pastel colored maribou that I've been looking for since last fall @ Bears Den.

I'll toss in another vote for Striblues flies. John, how do you find the time for tying?

Finally it was good to stop by the booth and talk for a while finally putting faces to people I've been corresponding with.

Last edited by John Desjardins; 01-19-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:50 AM

Talking

The famous Crabapple crab.
The Sage XP sweet rod but I had to overline to load the rod. Seems that the line recommended and tested would not load the rod for me.

NJ flyshop display which is next to Popvich home waters. Great saltwater materials.

Winston Ibis great fit an finish a little soft wonder if it was the line.
Wanted to test T&T rods but ran out of time.

Longhorns for after the show takedown with Juro and the gang.

FishHawk
Old 01-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Flats Rat

I was impressed with Bears Den products also - their custom dyeing produces some very interesting variations on the usual color themes. It was also nice to be able to say thanks for their sponsorship.

Jay, I'm glad you got to try the Temple Fork double hander. I'm looking forward to wetting a line with mine - probably March down Joizey way

I;m surprised nobody mentioned Elkhorn yet - seems like almost everyone at the show picked one up. Fantastic deal on what looks to be a very good product. I didn't get a chance to cast one but the 10wt which Slinger brought by the stand felt like a serious casting tool.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.