My day at the show - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Secret:Time on the water

My day at the show

Well I was up before dawn on Saturday morning; the thermometer was reading a balmy 4 deg. here in Milford. I was not looking forward to going out into the deep freeze but my responsibility to the cause beckoned me into the Arctic chill. I was on the way to the show by 0600 and I arrived in the Marlboro area around 0745, I would have been earlier but I made a wrong turn in Albuquerque and had to drive around in circles for 15 min. before I remembered where I should really be.........DUH! What is even more embarrassing is I did the same damn thing last year............Double DUHHHHH! I met Adrian at the Starbucks at the appointed time and we waited for Juro, he finally drove up and then immediately drove off without even coming into the store????? I gave him a really bad time when we finally went over to the show The booth was setup nicely and Juro was somewhat task saturated so I did my best to assist in getting things organized and running smoothly. I sat in on the first tying seminar with my friend Capt. Ray, this was a real informative session and Capt. Ray was his normal entertaining self. If you guy's have not had a chance to spend a day fishing with Capt. Ray I would highly recommend you book a day fishing with him. He is extremely knowledgeable and very insightful as to many of the subtle nuances of light tackle saltwater fishing, and he is always very amusing to be around aside from being a down right awesome human being. He is the real deal..........No fluff!!! It was very enjoyable to meet many of the members I have only previously corresponded with online. Mr. Grey I have to say is one of a kind and I am extremely happy to have had the chance to meet and talk with him, Pete you definitely are a great guy and I will try to come up this season and bivouac (sp) at the CAC. I appreciate the offer more than you will ever know. Mark, Sean, Chris, John, Bill Hines, Art B.,Quentin, it was very enjoyable to meet and talk with all of you and spend the day shooting the fishing bull with you all. I look forward to future meetings with all of the Forum members and I must say that we have the best most down to earth fishing website around........IMHO! No premadonas ALLOWED!!!!! You are all very passionate, knowledgeable, and giving people and that is what really drew me to this site from the beginning, let's all try and strive to keep it this way for the foreseeable future. The membership here is by far a cut above the rest of the crowd and that goes for everyone! Next time around Juro I think we should 1. Get a little larger booth space ( I know this involves more capitol expenditure) but it would definitely be worth it in the final analysis. 2. Start the planning much earlier than you did this year to enable you to delegate some more of the responsibility to other willing volunteers. This would free you up to do some more of what you would rather be doing, and what you are really good at. I thought that our booth was definitely the most interactive of any of the booths at the show and I feel like the people at the show appreciated that, and would like to see even more of that type of thing. Folks want to get out of the house at this time of the year but once they get to the show they also want to do things that are more interactive like the sit down tying sessions we were having. Maybe we could make an effort to film more of the activities of the Forum Members and use that at the shows next time around. John M. had some awesome flies and it would have been great to have him sitting and tying some of those unbelievable crustacean patterns he was displaying. Also I seemed to notice there are still alot of guy's out there that don't really have a good grasp of some of the more fundamental aspects of our sport i.e. Rigging, Knots, Leader Construction, etc. that would be another nice thing to have a seminar on or have someone sitting at the booth just tying up leaders and rigs used in our sport for people to watch and learn.
I just can't get over the level of talent that alot of the members here have, I was truly impressed and somewhat awestruck. I give all of you a very hearty 2 thumbs up for all your effort and hard work to put this together, and Juro you get a special KUDO award for extending yourself and your pocket to make this come to fruition. Your personal sacrifice to the cause is not to be diminished in any way, your passion and love for the site you created is extremely evident and without your leadership from the start it would have been nearly impossible to have pulled this off. Well thanks again everyone I enjoyed myself immensely on Saturday and appreciate being included in the process, it was absolutely my pleasure to do what little I could to make things a little smoother and would not hesitate to do it again. I hope everything goes as smoothly on this last day as it did yesterday and I will look forward to seeing many of you again out on the water as well as here.

Tightlines All,
Michael Mayo

Last edited by Striper; 01-19-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 11:42 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Mike...

Nice to finally meet you!!!
I didn't recognize you at first...you weren't holding up a honkin' BIG fish!
Your kind comments were right on the mark...the Forum is a great place to meet quality folks who share their passion and expertise! An interesting, contegeous, and addictive synergy!

ps
CAC=ChathamAnglersClub
YAC=YarmouthAnglersClub
...You're welcome at BOTH, to be sure!

Last edited by Penguin; 01-19-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:20 PM
President of CAC

Mike ...what Penguin said... hope to see more of you this year in Chatham... or the next show in March.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:17 PM
Fly chucker

Mike- Great to finally meet you. Like the others said, you just didn't look the same without a big fish in your grip.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
had a great time at the show. glad i could make it after all. just when i wonder how the forum could possibly be any better, i meet someone new. and this weekend was no exception.

humbled/inspired by juro's passion and dedication, as always.

and thanks to those of our sponsors who showed up in force (todd, art, ray, harry etc.); your support is invaluable. heck, harry drove all that way up from the cape to tie one rats ass. against md orders to boot. what a guy.

to all you new recruits (and there are a lot of you; i handed out more than 120 business cards), i look forward to your posts, and more importantly, i look forward to seeing you out on the water!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Flats Rat

I figured that by the time I got home this evening, one or two folks would have already posted their thoughts. It was amazing to see the results of so many individual contributions come together in a really successful endevour.

Great to meet up with old friends and meet new faces. A final tally of credit card receipts shows I got out relatively unscathed this time - good job I didn't see that Double Handed rod on the Elkhorn booth - but there's still Saltwater Edge and Wilmington
Old 01-20-2003, 08:00 AM

O.K. enough of the mutual admiration society where and when in March is the show you are referring to?? Would that be the Wilmington Show or is that the Saltwater Edge get together where I saw Juro last year??? I am betting that it is the Saltwater Edge thingie. When I got home I was thinking while authoring my original post how I was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet the "King" AKA:Striblu, then I read the posts this morning and it all came together and I realized that I had met Mr. Striblu after all. John I apologize for not putting 2 + 2 together, it was very nice to meet you and talk with you at length, your words of encouragement regarding the job market were much needed and appreciated and as I stated previously your flies are truly works of art that I myself would have difficulty actually fishing. I am sure they are deadly in the water but they also make beautiful adornments for display at home. I think I may have to commission a personal shadow box for my home since I was not lucky enough to WIN one in the raffles. Once again a pleasure to meet all .........new and old faces.

Tightlines,
Mike Mayo
Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 AM
Flats Rat

Thumbs up

Mike

The cool thing about these shows is we get to do multiple dips

Saltwater Edge is Feb 8th in Newport RI and Wilmington is sometime in March. Last year we combined the Wilmington day with our Annual casting clave at a nearby sports hall. It looks like this year will be a repeat. The casting clave is great fun - you get to try out each others rods, experienced casters get to help out complete beginers and the past two years, Todd Murphy has been present as Guest Instructor - and he is very good. Also, last year we had a rep from Powell along with a range of rods to test cast.

See you there!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:42 AM

Adrian,
Thanks for the heads up my friend. I will definitely make a note of the Wilmington date and casting clave this is one I will not miss again. Sean called me from the show yesterday as I requested with information about the Elkhorn rod, he told me the rod alone without the reel was $110.00 and I almost had him get me one. I went to their website and the rod alone costs $195.00 so the show deal wasn't a bad one at that.

Tightlines,
Mike M.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:28 AM

A Canadian Clipper blew in lowering the temperature to -4 degrees when I picked up Art Burton on Saturday morning for our drive to Marlborough. The 30 minute ride gave both of us a change to catch up on current events. Since Art has moved, it has become increasing difficult to compare notes. Once only a block away, it was easy for an impromptu visit or fishing trip. Such is not the case now. Will try to remedy the situation this summer, Art.

Around the Fly Fishing Forum was a buzz of activity. You'd swear that someone was giving free stuff away. Mike Mayo, Dble Haul, Juro, Quentin, and others were assisting the booth during the morning ties. As the day past fresh troops were brought in. It was truly a collaborate of help and friendship.

I enjoyed the day seeing the energy generated by so many tiers, helpful personal, and new individuals viewing the forum.
Hopeful this will continue knowing we have a site to share it with throughout the year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.