14ft. Great White!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2001, 07:56 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

14ft. Great White!!!

Had a report on the 6:00 news tonight that a charter boats customers lost two stripers to a 14ft. Great White just off of Chatham. After following and taking two nice fish away from the paying customers it began to circle the boat, finally, slowly, it sank into the murky depths........

I'm sure Pungos look a lot like a seal to Jaws........

Makes you think twice about standing up to your waist in water at night along the light, huh?

"You're gonna need a bigger boat...."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2001, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to jborkowski
Wonder if Jaws could be enticed with a deep eel. Definately going to need heavier tippet.

What d'ya figure, 7ft leader or 9?
Old 07-22-2001, 08:26 PM
President of CAC

I'll find this bird for ya...but it's not goin to be easy....Not like goin down the pond for blue gill or tommy cod, big fish...swallow you whole... a little sinkin , a little tenderizing... and down you go... But I value my neck alot more than 3 thousand bucks chief... I'll find him for 3, but I'll catch em and kill em for 10... Now you got to make up your minds and anti up...bring your businesses back on a paying basis... otherwise you'll be on welfare all winter.. I don't want any mates ,there are too many captains on this island..... 10 thousand bucks for me alone chief.... for that you get the head ,the tail..... the whole damn thing.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:46 PM

What are ya, some kind of half-ass astronaut? Heh, heh, heh. Take that you latch it secure. ? Jesus-H Christ. When I was a boy, every little squirt wanted to be a harpooner or a sword fisherman. Whatta ya got here. Portable shower or a monkey cage?

Anti-shark cage.

Anti-shark cage? You go inside the cage? Cage goes in the water? You go in the water? Shark's in the water, our shark. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:59 PM

If you are paddling your tri-balance and you hear this MUSIC it's probably nothing to worry about.

Here is one of my favorite lines.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:02 AM

Hey Cheify, if she likes you going out she'll love ya coming in.

Fairwell and ado to you fair spanish ladies. Fairwell and ado to you ladies of spain. for weve recieved orders for to sail back to boston never to se you fair ladies again.
Old 07-23-2001, 06:31 AM

From Boston.com

14-foot shark 'bump' gives the Cape shivers

By Diana Raschke, Globe Correspondent, 7/23/2001

n 10 years of ushering groups of anglers out to the seas off Chatham, Joseph Fitzback has acquired some strong sea legs. But even he had trouble standing Saturday when he says a 14-foot great white shark bounced his 20-foot boat like a bobber while it snacked on fresh-caught stripers.

Fitzback, who runs Top Rod Custom Charters and Tackle Shop in Chatham, sounded nonchalant about his encounter with the species that Steven Spielberg made famous when he filmed the movie ''Jaws'' on Martha's Vineyard in 1974.

''I've been fishing in this area over 10 years,'' Fitzback said. ''I spent all those years not seeing one.''

Fitzback had taken five fishermen from New Jersey out to look for striped bass. Suddenly, ''this big black thing'' surfaced near two fish the men were reeling in, about 20 yards away from the boat, he said.

The shark snatched one of the stripers off the line, leaving only the head of the bass. Then the dark form passed beneath the boat, snagged the other fish, and slammed twice against the craft, Fitzback said.

The jostling was hard enough to knock the captain off balance and make him concerned about losing a few customers overboard.

Then the visitor retreated and circled. At first, Fitzback thought it was a pilot whale, but he said he had seen great whites in waters off Hawaii and South America and identified this one by its aggressive behavior and distinctive broad shoulders.

He told his passengers to sit low in the boat, then motored slowly away, gaining speed as he distanced the craft from the shark.

Fitzback called the Coast Guard, which broadcast the unconfirmed sighting Saturday and has since then fielded several calls from concerned civilians.

Officials are taking the sighting seriously, urging caution and stepping up patrols after Fitzback's reported close encounter about a mile off Chatham's South Beach.

The harbor's two patrol boats are concentrating on South Beach, where officials will shoot the shark if they see it. The area is popular with swimmers, boaters, and seal watchers, although it is somewhat remote and has no lifeguards.

Great whites usually swim south of Martha's Vineyard, but Chatham harbor master Stuart Smith said that particularly warm waters and the large seal population could have drawn one to Cape Cod. He said he could not recall a shark attack since he began work in Chatham in 1988, but Smith advised beachgoers to be alert and not to swim with the seals.

''I would think that as long as the water remains warm and as long as there is a food source, which there is, it would have no reason to leave,'' Smith said.

By 3 a.m. yesterday, Fitzback was back out in his boat again.

''What's the chance of seeing one two days in a row?'' he said. ''It's like the lottery. You win, of course you're going to play again.''

And he was a bit more sanguine than a swimmer might be about the experience: ''It was the end of a good fishing trip,'' Fitzback said. ''The last two were given to the shark god, I guess.''
Old 07-23-2001, 06:48 PM

Well...In an attempt to get closer to the EDGE, I have painted the bottom of my formerly teal Pungo a fine slick blue/black harbour seal shade of Great White lunch.
It's been nice knowing you!
Anyone care to start a where/when lottery?
A great fund raiser!
Well...I didn't really but the summer is young!

I didn't see the usual number of seals on the outside this past weekend...I wonder if they heard the news and split?
Old 07-23-2001, 07:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Chances must be pretty slim of encountering, but then again one is more than enough. It wouldn't hurt to excersize caution, others have reported seeing very large sharky beasts recently in the area as well.

"Don't swim with the seals" sounds like good advice to me!
Old 07-23-2001, 08:22 PM

[quote]juro (07-23-2001 08:24 p.m.):
It wouldn't hurt to excersize caution, others have reported seeing very large sharky beasts recently in the area as well.

Other than fishing from shore and trying not to bleed profusely while wading...what can you do really?

I suppose there's always the Crocodile Hunter approach. YANK HIS TAIL!!!!
Old 07-23-2001, 10:09 PM

You certainly don't need to bleed profusely. Not even a small amount. Just a few drops'll do ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.