Oh No! - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 AM

Oh No!

I am sure that this is some kind of bandwidth saving measure, but having the fly pictures as a new link from the recipe can't be the only option.
The best thing about the fly archives was the pictures.
I would rather have a link to the recipe. Are there any other options? I think this will hurt participation. Am I the only one who liked it better the old way?
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Eddie -

The issue is bandwidth. We have consistently exceeded the many gigabytes of allotment every month, and until we upgrade to the dedicated server we will not see an increase in capacity.

The point of all this fund raising is to pay for the Boston Shows, the Seattle show, and end up with enough to do the upgrade in February.

If we can collect earlier we can begin the process of moving everything over but for obvious reasons we do not want to pay the setup fees and higher monthly costs until we are ready to avoid paying more than one double month.

I think Sean has come up with a very effective stop-gap measure to get us through the current period. Let's hope we do well at the shows so we can not only get images going again but VIDEOS too.

Sean -

I know this means even more work for you but if there was a way to display only the most recent image and leave the older images as links, this would prevent the re-display everything problem that has been killing us for BW.

To write the conditional logic into the board source code might be more than we can handle right now with the shows and everything else coming up, so don't bother if there are other priorities.

It's only about a month to go so if you can't get to it, don't spend any time on that. We'll be asking for enough from you when the server upgrade occurs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2003, 11:58 AM
LBFF Mojo

Is clicking on a link really that bad? The pictures are still there but are not loading automatically like they were before. We are/were spending about 5 megabytes of bandwidth on each picture due to auto loading them. That is a ton of bandwidth sucked up for just one picture. Displaying text is low impact but pics are a whole different story.

The main problem with the way we have the fly archives set up is when threads develop around the fly post. So everytime you go to look at the thread the picture is loaded over and over again when it probably does not need to be. Especially with the tendancy threads have to get off subject after a few posts.

This will go away soon when we get our fly pattern database off the ground. No longer will fly pics show up in the thread. What will happen is someone will post a new fly to the archive and that will generate a post to thre coresponding board saying " So and so just submit a new fly check it out *here* and use this thread to discuss the new pattern" . So in essence it will be kinda like we have it set now. The good thing about the new fly tying database is folks will be able to upload a series of pics of the fly to show the tying steps (if they wish) and will be forced to provide recipies and materials which is a problem we have we the current setup.

Who knows...with the new server I may be able to cobble together some different ways to deal with our bandwidth troubles. For now this is the easiest and quickest way to get our usage down. We are currently 129% over a month which aint good. We can/should spend the members contributions in a sane manner rather than having anyone on the internet who checks out a page cost us money. I am working on some ways to disallow guests to view the images which I will implement on the new server. Possibly just doing that will create enough breathing room to allow members to see images.

For now I hope looking at images via a link is not that terrible of a thing to ask of the members. Plus how many times do you really need to see Juro and Kush playing with feather boas

-sean
Old 01-13-2003, 12:15 PM

Hey c'mon... I'll have you know there was a time when I was younger and in better shape that flyfishing women would swoon over a man and his feather boa :hehe:

Speychick, how 'bout some help here!
Old 01-13-2003, 12:43 PM

Possible solution???? Webshots web site.

Joan uses this for all her electronic photo's to the world. The 'site holder' would have to move the pictures over (no clue on how that would work) but everyone can access with a 'click' of a mouse.

And the good news: if it's 'doable,' is it's 'free.' Free is a good number.

fae
Old 01-13-2003, 01:47 PM

My point is't to critisise the good work, and of course money shouldn't be waisted. You gotta do what you gotta do, but yeah, it sucks to have to go to a sepparate link. A recipe is not sexy enough to get people to pull the trigger. The more buttons to push, the more people give up befor they get there. I like Juro's idea as a stop gap measure, but like all the other forums, the pictures should go with the text.
I like your idea about withholding images from non-members. This could be a way to encourage membership, but I would hate for people to get turned off and go away.
How much needs to be raised for a dedicated server?
Thanks for the good work, Eddie
Old 01-13-2003, 02:22 PM

Eddie -

Whatever is left over after the Seattle show will decide the level of hosting we can afford for 2003; it depends on what we end up with.

Your participation in the recent auctions goes a long way! Thanks man, we appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.