Supinski's book - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 09:18 AM

Supinski's book

Just treated myself to "Steelhead Dreams" and the passage on steelhead feeding really caught my attention. I would not have thought that steelhead would take so few baitfish. It made me realize that I better increase the nymph count in my flybox.

I've heard and read mixed reviews on Matt's book yet I've found the first quarter of the book that I've read so far to be packed with useable info. I'm a bit surprised why some people dump on this book. Maybe because it challenges some assumptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2002, 10:00 AM
removed_by_request

I think more people dump on him than his book.

Might have to do with attitude my friend.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:39 AM

The book has a lot of technical information on how to fish the great lakes steelhead on the fly but does not single out specific rivers or locations thank god. I learned new things and I have been fishing here for 22 years and reading everything available.

Nymphs rule, join the clan. If you want to do traditional wet or spey fly swinging that can work at times but overall to touch fish consistently it is nymphs low and slow IMHO.

I hope to meet Matt in person at the upcoming Mid west fly show in January, I have only trade a couple of emails with him to date.

Thinking of booking a steelie trip with him though for my youngest boy and me this spring.

PM Out
Old 12-23-2002, 11:06 AM
removed_by_request

Met him at the show 2 years ago, he drew a crowd.

Saw him chuck and duck the Mo' with a spey out fit he was pretty adept at slinging the lead.

If you are thinking about heading up there check out Glenn B. and his crew, PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by mjyp; 12-23-2002 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:26 AM

I'm currently reading "Dreams" myself and really enjoying it. Supinski challenges a lot of myths about GL steel behavior, which I really enjoy. I bought the book because I was looking for some straight answers about the history, health and behavior of GL chrome and have found honest, no BS opinions in his writing. Regardless of your thoughts on this fishery, this book is very well done

Great pics too!

Happy Holidays to all!

Big Dave
Old 12-23-2002, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
. . . Supinski challenges a lot of myths about GL steel behavior, which I really enjoy. . . .
Big Dave
That's what I'm finding and it's causing me to do a rethink on how I approach these fish. Might even turn me into a nymphermaniac, though never a C&Der. I'll use worms before that.

:hehe:
Old 12-23-2002, 01:24 PM
removed_by_request

Nymph's and caddis are candy to our Steelhead. Imagine the amount of bugs they hit in the stream as fry/smolts.

I even got one once on a pink plastic worm under a float. Look out Roland...
Old 12-23-2002, 01:29 PM

You'd think I'd be a friggin' expert by now

given the years I've been fishing for 8" smolts with a two or three weight. If I've got Matt right, I just have to think of my GL steelie as an overgrown smolt.

I can manage that. :hehe:
Old 12-23-2002, 05:36 PM

Oh they love nymphs I went through the purist wet fly and spey fly stuff 10 -13 years ago, after fishing through the same runs which I had got got skunked on with them, I went back through with the hexs, stones, and caddis. The light went on in my brain. They like these better then anything else and I am out here at least to touch a fish occassionally. I am not out here to watch beautiuls wets and speys drift beautifully down the river drift after drift with out any touches and get snagged in log jams all day.

Believe me there will still be days with nymphs you will be skunked, so it is still quite a challenge with nymphs.

If you looked in my fly walletts now you will not see many wets or speys, a few just in case I decide to swing them.

Its a good book and photography is very good, just glad he did not give away any of my favorite spots :hehe:

Go out buy some emu featers, filo plume feathers, gray, olive, and tan maribou and tie up some motion with out movement nymphs you may be surprised on your results.

PM OUT

P.S. Peter, worms ? you know I hardly ever see anybody using worms for steelhead in Michigan, wigglers, wax worms, and spawn seem to be the live bait they use down here now. Not that I ever look at though.

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 12-23-2002 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:18 PM
removed_by_request

That Matt is a real genius figuring out these fish eat nymphs/caddis/rock worms.

The PM wiggler (nymph type fly) was around way before he got the idea to popularize nymphs. Also a guy named Teeney saw the nymph light way before Matt. All he did is pass on knowledge he has picked up from other fisherman. His book is ok, but the Linesman/Neveda book and the one by the Kuistch(SP?) bros is equally as good.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:07 PM

FYI - While the Kustich writings are good, he is really despised for his over publicizing the local tribs in NY! It's to the point where you can't even find a parking space, and the license plates are from Rocky Mtn. states, California and even Alaska!

BobK
Old 12-23-2002, 08:05 PM
removed_by_request

Mr Matt has done his share of publisizing rivers in lower Mi. the Dowagiac for one. that was an underfished river until his Fly Fish America article on it. Presto instant parking lot. He has done this to other rivers, but the Dog really comes to mind, for I fished that system before he figured out fish were there.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:24 PM

You forgot Ontario (that's why I always go in my friend's van - the one with the NY plates.)
Old 12-23-2002, 09:41 PM

MJYP

I fished the Dog in early 1980s before there were steelhead and salmon there. Just browns back then and some small mouths but nice and quiet. It was not a secret to the old timers in South Bend who were trout fisherman. They showed me it when I lived there from 79-86. Also fished its upper stretches for browns some nice areas back in the michigan farm lands.

The Linsenman/Nevala book I did not find that good. It was OK no great enlightenements technically but disclosed more GL rivers to be fished. Probably upset some locals I am sure disclosing these new rivers.

It is true the use of nymphs goes back into the early 70s. Dave Richey writes of them in his book GLs Steelheading for Everybody which was released in 1976. The first steelhead I landed in 1981 was on a Spring Wiggler. So nymphs for GL steelhead go back almost 30 years. I did not learn to much new on nymphs from the MS book, but did in other technical areas of GL steelheading.

The R. Kusitch book did not do to much for me. Talked more about the eastern great lake tribs which Bob K and his colleagues are now upset about.

A good cheap book is the paper back " Fly Fishing for salmon and steelhead of the great lakes - Kenn Filkins. LT $ 20 Borders has it in Schaumburg and Oak Brook has some good technical information.

Overall I think the MS Steelhead Dreams book is the best available at this time on GL steelhead.

One other surprising book is Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout - Jed Davis. It has some excellent technical information on PNW and michigan steelhead behavior and how to fish them etc. Jed is a michigan native who I met accidentally in 1981 at the Deer Lick run, we fished together and he told me he was moving to Oregon in 91, so this was one of his last times fishing you know what river. Did not who he was until the book came out in 1985. Not sure what he is doing now he started a tackle company in Oregon.

Bobk,

Sorry to hear about all of the out staters as that book and other magazine articles onthe eastern GL tribs is how I came to know over the last 5 years of the good fishing there. We also have lots of out of state plates in Michigan and Wisconsin rivers.

Wonder who may be writing the next book on GLs steelheading.

I have many of the PNW steelheading books also suchs as T. Coombs , L. Waller, B. Arnold, etc...

PM Out
Old 12-23-2002, 10:41 PM
removed_by_request

Read the Jed Davis book many years ago, used to buy my spinner parts from him.

The linesman book give it a new look, from the eyes of the guide. Which was interesting. I have been lucky to meet many of those in the book. I found their rivers insights and antics to prove them to be real peopel.

As to MS never impressed me much, i think I sent an e-mail explaining why. He has done a lot to exploit the fishery we love.

Fished the Dog below the old dam in the mid 80's Skamania used to run up there in nice pods. After MS's articla the 1.5 mile piece of water was clogged with drift boats. Saw some joker try to run a jet sled up there.

You and I have fished many of the same spots, most of them not so famous. All you need is a good map and legs to discover them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.