Michigan - Flyfishing Centenarian - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2003, 08:42 PM

Michigan - Flyfishing Centenarian

What a wonderful story, and her favorite michigan trout river is also one of mine.

Still flyfishing at 100 years old, amazing, I am worried about making it to 70.

PM Out

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/flyfishing/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2003, 09:09 PM

Talking Quit worrying!

Hal - worrying about "making it to XX years" is only a sure way not to get there. Relax, enjoy every day and challenge to the fullest, and you will have more pure enjoyment packed into your lifetime.... more, in fact, than many 100 year olds ever had.
Always try to avoid or minimize stressful situations as you get older (BTW, how are the dogs behaving?).....just joking!
Make sure you DO the things you like, rather than dream or just talk about them.

I knew 30 year-old "old men" - it was a mental attitude. Couldn't get off their fanny. I also know guys in their 80s still going strong - can't do everything like they could in their 20s, but still having fun, and doing their best to keep at it.

Also, grandchildren are a great way to keep young at heart - mine keep me hopping, and they consider me a "buddy".

BobK
Old 01-08-2003, 08:34 AM

Bobk

The dogs have awoken me the last two nights at 3 AM to go out other than that they are doing fine. Two weeks today they have been with us.

Worry and stress, the problem is I have a high stress corporate job with new complex projects and deadlines, plus now we are going through a world wide reorganization, actually more divisions are being added to our North American operation, which means more work for me, with no additional staff, etc.....

But I guess things could be more stressful if I was out of a job or a family member had health or other major problems, all of which I have experienced already in my life. I am 55 now.

Guess also I better get some more Vitamins with my GNC Gold card also!

Hal

P.S. Let me know when that TU proposal shows up if ever ?

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 01-08-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:29 PM

Talking Handling stress

Hal - yeah - I had one of those hi-stress jobs as well. It even (minimally) started to affect my health. I forced myself and trained myself to TOTALLY leave the stresses behind me at work when I left my office and closed the door. I started sleeping like a baby, and my health returned to normal.

In fact, that was a turning point. I then picked up on the philosophy I carry with me today, and it helped me keep things in perspective.

Once, a corporate executive said to me, "That was a hard decision, Bob, and you made the right one without working up a sweat. How did you do it?" I then recounted some experiences during the Korean war as an 18 year old kid where life was at stake - and then he agreed with me that the "hard" decision really wasn't that bad.

You just have to keep things in perspective.

Now, for the Great Lakes proposal and status....

1. I have a draft copy of the GLU proposal. If you want, send me your e-mail address, and I will forward it to you.

2. I have a request in to the individual who coordinates these things at TU; haven't heard back yet.

In the meantime, we are having a meeting in Rochester at RIT (a college) on 1/14 with the state conservation organization - they will present their (5 year) outlook and be looking for comment. I plan on attending if we don't have a severe snowstorm. Will keep you posted.

BobK
Old 01-08-2003, 02:56 PM

Bobk

Thanks every couple of years they give me the new 800 pound gorilla projects. I feel more coming with everything that is going on right now.

Send it to eckhal@attbi.com

No about the 18 year old military stess and decision making, USAF 4 years working the fighters and transports, as avionics technician lots of time critical stress ful work. But was a kid and did not know better.

Thanks

Hal

PM Out
Old 01-08-2003, 03:52 PM

Hey Bob,
I still have that guy's address who responded to my inquiry if you want it let me know. It took them a couple weeks to get back to me too.

John
Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 AM

Anyone see 60 minutes last night ?

They had a segment on people working full time into their 80s and even 90s. They got bored with being retired full time.

Perhaps I can FF into my 80s at least. :hehe:

PM Out
Old 01-13-2003, 01:13 PM
removed_by_request

Saw it, start taking HGH now. Also invest in a driftboat. Makes stream travel easier.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:17 PM

DB and a jet sled I will need.

Maybe I can retire and become a GL steelhead guide into my 80s ?

PM Out
Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 PM
removed_by_request

Jet boat may be too fast for an old guy, practice on some video games first. Invest in lots of HGH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.