1st Forumn Member Encounter - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2003, 03:51 PM

1st Forumn Member Encounter

Well after 14 months, 2213 posts I met my first forumn member int he flesh today at the Midwest FFF Show here in Chicago.

Smolt (Charles),

I enjoyed meeting you today and discussing the various exhibits and information sessions. Envy your atlantic salmon experience since that has only been one of my objectives. But getting relocated to midwest in 1979 had me forget them for great lakes steelhead and salmonids. Hope you enjoyed the day. Matt Supinski gave a nice overview on the Great lakes fisheries and impacted a lot of knowledge in that one hour. Also sat in on Carp fly fishing semimar that was very interesting. Have to do some more of that this year.

Charles, if you can get Mr. Teeny down further on that Chile trout fishing trip in March let me know. We talked to Jim a couple of differenet times at the show. Very nice man. That big andramous brown fishing sounded fantastic, what was that he said 10-20 fish a day at 10-20 lbs.

Charles lets keep in touch and see if we can get you out for some steelhead fishing this spring.

Hal

PM Out

P.S. Please let Mr. F. Evans know I am a normal lucid person also

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2003, 10:25 PM

I can now vouch for the fact that PMFLYFISHER (Hal) is, not only a normal lucid person, he is a person with whom it is a pleasure to spend the day. He is not only all the above, he is a very patient man, having endured many of my old fishing stories with a noticeable whimper. Meeting him and sifting through the various exhibits at the Midwest Fly Fishing Show made my excursion to the show far more fun than it would have otherwise been.

PM, after you left, near the end of the show, Tim Rajeff gave a casting demonstration. Aside from the fact that his prowess with a fly rod is nothing short of awe-inspiring, when he finished he made himself available for questions. I asked him about spey casting and was rewarded with a personal lesson on spey casting with an 8-foot 4-weight trout rod. As you know, I do not know how to spey cast -- having bought my two-handed outfit "on the come", so to speak. That notwithstanding, within five minutes I was actually executing reasonable single spey casts with that little rod. If anyone ever gets the chance to take a lesson fron Tim Rajeff, do not pass up the opportunity.

I will definitely keep in touch and do look forward to wetting a line with you this upcoming season.

CK
Old 01-11-2003, 11:09 PM

P.S. Please let Mr. F. Evans know I am a normal lucid person also

My mind runs amuck on at all the possssssibilities of what it took to get that posted to the board

Smolt must have a background he'd strongly prefer remain 'hidden.'

Smolt, please PM me off line and give me THE REAL SCOOP!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:30 AM
President of CAC

That first encounter must have been somewhat frightning for you guys......sounds like you both handled it well.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:21 AM

Whats scary is we probably have more reliable cyber friends, we can trust, than our supposed "friends" from normal face to face encounters these days.

Scary thought isn't it ?

Charles you will see that basic spey casting as T. Rajeff showed you is not rocket science, perhaps advanced spey casting is for long distance accurate casting. But that is not what is needed here in the great lakes rivers

Talked to one of the Sage reps from the PNW and he agreed, spey advantages are more for mending and drift control, presentation, than distance casting.

Charles let me know what you get that Chile trip down to. I think they had a number of openings yet to fill and will negotiate price.

BTW, I enjoyed the maine and canada atlantic salmon stories.

I loved that new Sage light spey rod we looked at.

Lets keep in touch.

PM Out
Old 01-12-2003, 11:59 AM
President of CAC

Hal..That's a true statement.... I was thinking history, and all the talk of Clubs, etc. In the early days of Golf Club formation..when land was cheap by the way, those early clubs were formed with that concept actually. Obviously, Time was at a premium and those who did not have to work the land, since we were mostly agrarian then were able to devote the time to "leasure". But leasure in those days was basiclly hunting and fishing. Social apects for family were basically non existant. If you wanted a fancy dinner, you went to a hotel... resturants were non existant. This Cyber stuff has started to help take the bite out of more formal orgainizations. The guys who I have met over the short years of the formation of FFF are closer to me than some of my other contact ,that's for sure.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:15 PM

Whats scary is we probably have more reliable cyber friends, we can trust, than our s

Scary thought .... but very true. Have at least 10 or 12 folks on the board (Hal included) that I correspond with on a very regular basis. In many cases, their e mails are the major points of light in an otherwise 'interesting day.'

fae
Old 01-12-2003, 12:23 PM

What kind of world will these new technologies create for my kids and grand kids ?

Just this summer I took two of my boys to the top of Harney Peak (2 hour up hill trek through wilderness) in the SD - Black Elk Wilderness. Spectacular views of Badlands, cathedral spires, black hills, montana, etc..

We were on the top 5 minutes and they said lets go back we can see these same pictures with a 5 minute search on the internet.

Go figure !

PM Out
Old 01-12-2003, 12:44 PM
President of CAC

I remember our first TV.. 3 Channels... then all the neigbors came over a couple years later for ..yes..the first remote control we bought.. Late 5o's I think...it was the space age.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:56 PM

Yep remember the 3 channels, now we are bored with the probably close to 100 channels we get through our cable TV stations.

Whats next being able to sit at home and cyber fish your favorite locations through digital imaging etc.....

Just like the golf course imaging systems they have now of various courses.

Hey maybe thats a good idea no one can every fish all the great places in the world.

I would like to digitally fly fish, Kola, Kamchatka, Kispiox, Bulkley, North Umpqua, Skagit, Matapedia, Miramachi, Cascapedia, just for steelhead and atlantic salmon for starters.

Saltwater would be a separate list.

PM Out
Old 01-13-2003, 10:50 AM

P.S.

". . . he is a very patient man, having endured many of my old fishing stories with a noticeable whimper."[/B]

This should have read "without". I guess it was my unconscious embarrassment at how much I talked showing.

CK
Old 01-13-2003, 11:19 AM

P.S.

Next time Charles (Smolt) you will hear about all of my trout, steelhead, and pacific salmon fly fishing tales.

Believe me I have some memorable and price less ones.

PM Out
Old 01-13-2003, 05:19 PM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
You guys talking about the 3 channel tv reminds me of how young i actually am 16. i have not met anybody yet either but i might this summer when i head to CT for some FF.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.