Fly Fishing Pet Peeves - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2003, 12:40 AM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Exclamation Fly Fishing Pet Peeves

What is your biggest pet peeves regarding fly fishing?

Mine are...

1. People in conoes cutting in front of your cast...
2. Wind knotts...
3. Back cast "SNAGS" on narrow streams...

Do you have any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2003, 06:11 AM

Only two really:

Boaters (guides or not) who move into 'your hole' and anchor their boats. Secondly would be 'campers.' Fly or gear guy who 'picks a rock' and camps on it.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:41 AM

Wink Sounds familiar..

Fred, the same here, only difference is we call them "Homesteaders" rather than campers.

Cohocola, I'm sure over the years alot of little things have been bothersome but the only one that relly stands out in my mind is being "Low Holed". With the crowding that has been occuring in recent years I have developed a rating scale that slides depending on the circumstances. I will try and remain civil and express my view on the state of the pool and the order in which I beleive it should be fished. If I receive a negative response I figure where the slide is setting on the scale and take appropriate action. I do not go fishing to engage in fighting or for that matter even debating. However if left untreated a small wound can become infected and spread. So if it looks like the offending angler is not Psychotic I have been known to reel in my line and walk down to where he or she is fishing and wade right in and start downstream of them. It doesn't take very many applications of this for someone to see that crime doesn't pay.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wink

Full time work hours. Weekend duties. Cold weather. Not enough flyfishing... NOT ENOUGH...
Old 01-11-2003, 11:50 AM
brookie! where?

Send a message via AIM to SDHflyfisher Send a message via MSN to SDHflyfisher
School and bad weather

http://www.danica.com/flytier/shansen/shansen.htm
Old 01-11-2003, 01:30 PM

Thumbs down Fly Fishing Pet Peeves

Fred & Moonlight,
You two have captured the source of my greatest irritation. These clowns that will jump in and then park their lazy asses right in front of you while you're swinging a fly down and across through a riffle or glide just kill me.

The worst case I dealt with so far was an idiot that was so clueless he moved in between me and the end of my fly that was on the dangle and then started nymphing. I sarcasticly suggested that maybe I should just give him my two-hander so he could fish my frickin' water for me only to hear a, "huh, what's your problem."

This sort of clueless behavior is something new that nymphers seem to have brought to the Klamath, and I wish that all go back to fishing bait with bobbers.

My apologies to any gentlemen nymphers out there. JB
Old 01-11-2003, 01:53 PM
_

Here are a few of my pet peeves, in no particular order:

1. People who, through ignorance or inconsideration, place themselves in the area where my backcast is going . . . and stay there!

2. Baitfishermen who begin fishing upcurrent from where I'm already fishing and allow their line(s) to drift across in front of me, or sometimes behind me if I'm on a jetty, so that their line(s) interfere with my ability to cast or fish.

3. Waterskiers, jetskiers and other boaters who enjoy "tearing up the water" in the area where I'm trying to fish.

Q
Old 01-11-2003, 02:41 PM

All of the above plus my constantly unraveling leader spools, at least it seem like there is one that always coming undone at an inopportune time.

PM Out
Old 01-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Pullin' Thread

Fred, Moonlight, and Speynut,

I agree totally with you on this!
Old 01-12-2003, 05:05 PM

News Article

Quite a few years ago, the local newspaper's "Outdoor Editor" was complaining about a campsite on the Beaverkill. He was working his way up to it to fish "his" favorite stretch in the campsite.

When he got there, he was VERY upset to find a guy paddling around in a rubber tube, escaping from the hot weather.

His complaint in the newspaper article was vehement. He complained about the campsite, the cars, tents, and ESPECIALLY the SOB who was paddling in the rubber tube.

I thought about it, and guess what - the guy in the tube had just as much right to be there as he did. Probably some poor NY City slob, who was having his first encounter with nature, and ENJOYING himself.

So, we have to be very careful about this.

On the other hand, it's too bad we don't have to take a required course in "Fishing Etiquette" before we can buy a fishing license - then MAYBE some of the other fishermen would be a little more thoughtful.

BobK
Old 01-13-2003, 05:08 AM

Guides who put their sports in your spot so that they get fish for their clients. Happened to me on the Big Horn

Guides who are too tired from staying up all night and are not at the top of their game on the day that you booked them.

The regulars who guard the Corner Pool at the Hoosie and make fun of others when they fish their pool.

Guides who cut in front of you when albies are busting.
The cost of flylines.

FishHawk
Old 01-13-2003, 05:55 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like some guides just have no class. I've hiked into remote stretches of river in the rainforest and have had guides anchor driftboats right in my casting angle, worse yet hang some fresh roe and start hooking native steelhead which by the way were bonked and put into the cooler (legally, just my personal angst), forcing me to poke around a little and leave with a cast or two to show for miles of walking.

But being a seasonal shore guide on the flats myself as well as an avid recreational angler it's a two way street as is everything in life, and some guides insist on proper ettiquette while others (perhaps unknowingly) disrupt the opportunity for them.

When I have people out it blows my mind that some people go all the way out the the Monomoy flats to go stand chest deep in a row in the middle of the advance lane and blind cast for hours, catching nothing and killing the fishing for the entire flat structure ahead of it. Why go to Monomoy to blind cast? It's the worst thing they can do there.

Guide or not, some folks will drop their boat and anchor in three feet of water on the flats right in the sight lane where shore anglers walked two miles over soft sand to reach. Of course the fish all swim around them and no one sees anything as long as they are there.

Maybe it's not guides verses recreational anglers but those who know but don't care, those who don't know any better, and those who get screwed by both of the above.

Some guys aren't even fishing - I've had kayaker's drop down the chute above my pool and start doing eskimo rolls right in the heart of the run!

Just wanted to say it's not whether you're a guide or not but about courtesy and/or knowing what's going on.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:23 AM
The Speyshop' Speybum

NOT ENOUGH

TIME
Old 01-13-2003, 11:50 AM

Spinfishers who don't know how to share the water or worse, make every effort to hang your line off their treble hooks.
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" color="#3B5280">will flyfish for food</font>
Old 01-13-2003, 12:19 PM

Most guides are great gentlemen and women. But guides that run this new idea of fly fishing schools with classes of 6 to 15 people on a river does not sit well with me. The idea of needing to show people every run, every holding spot seems so foolish to me. It's becoming cast like me use what I use and you will have instant sucess, monkey see monkey do. And maybe they will suceed but they have missed out on so much that is beautiful in fly fishing. Fly fishing to me should be on the most part an exploration of ones own ability to learn and enjoy that learning experience about a river, the way they develope as an induvidual and a fly fisherman. Just seems that there are a lot of fly fishermen out there who don't know how to enjoy the slow process that make fly fishing so great. And those folks are missing so much of what fly fishing is about.

The other one that I know will not go over well here is the clave idea. Not against fly fishermen coming together to have a good time. Spey type claves should be held in parks and not on the rivers. Reason? If 10 or 15 people get together and take a place on a river and that effects someone elses even one other persons day on the river then it's no different than above paragraph. I feel we need to walk more softly as fly fishermen. Got to feel bad for the guy that was planing to plunk some bait, gear or even fly fish after a hard week of work at his favorite spot only to have a bunch of guys come down and take over. It has never happened to me but know those who were very disapointed when it did happen to them. We the fly fishermen have become a group mentality more and more as time goes on. Fly fishing has always had a place for friendship and sharing ideas but it used to be done in a much gentler way than is sometimes done today. Just something to think about.

The fish are begining to show in places I'm going fishing for a couple of days, hope you all find time to get out and fish on all the beautiful rivers, ponds and bays in your areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.