Nantucket 7/19 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2001, 08:51 PM
Recent Member

Nantucket 7/19

It's been a very hard week out here once again with the wind changing direction every other day and the water temps changing almost daily, but there are still fish here to be caught, you just have to find them. My parents were down Monday and Tuesday to do a little fishing. To avoid possible bad weather we took them out Monday afternoon, late, where we saw a few stripers on the flats off Tuckernuck. As we headed over to Muskeget to poke around a little we came across some Bonito popping along one of the edges, we didn't land any but we did see them. Tuesday morning we headed out before the rain washed us out and landed 2 or 3 blues out along the North shore. I had a couple of spin charters this week, all of which we took blues off the beach out at Great Point. The water has warmed up a little out here so stripers seem to have moved offshore just a little, a little tough for long rodders from the beach but early mornings and late afternoon or nights seem to be the best time to target stripers from shore.
From the boats, bonito are starting to heat up along the Bonito Bar and just outside of the Smith's point opening. One of the boats landed 6 of them the other day and our big boat landed 3 or 4 using pencil poppers the next day. The boats can get into some really big blues down along the south shore or off 'Sconset. There have been alternating schools of blues and stripers out along Great Point rip with huge numbers of birds feeding over them.
As you may know by now, I use a charteuse clouser most of the time but epoxy sand eel patterns have been really productive and I will be starting to tie up some smaller white deceivers and epoxy patterns in hope that the bonito will be moving in close to shore in the very near future. Pray for sun and can someone turn off that fan that's blowing out there right now...
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2001, 07:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
shane (07-19-2001 08:51 p.m.):
... As we headed over to Muskeget to poke around a little we came across some Bonito popping along one of the edges... From the boats, bonito are starting to heat up along the Bonito Bar and just outside of the Smith's point opening. One of the boats landed 6 of them the other day and our big boat landed 3 or 4 using pencil poppers the next day....
Shane, not to ignore the rest of your great report but this time of year a certain word 'pops' out above the rest!

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2001, 11:03 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Shane... my family and I will be going over there for a day next week... no fishing for me... just Mitchells books and I will check out the Tackle shops... do you know of any others besides Cross rip and the one near the town where the boats are docked
Old 07-20-2001, 12:14 PM
BB5 Survivor

John,

Cross Rip *is* the one in town near where the boats
are moored (Easy Street for those of you playing along
at home....).

Fisher's is farther out of town off of Cliff Road or you can
go the back way past Woodbury Lane...

--jared
Old 07-20-2001, 07:05 PM
Recent Member

Now Jared, you may have forgotten that other shop down by the A&P known as Barry Thursten's, even though they carry that stuff with the O word, in all fairness it is another shop. Have fun John and in all likely hood I'll be down at Crossrip when you come in, stop and say hey...
Jared, when the H are you getting down here, it's supposed to be a great weekend and there was a rumor of your boat being here wasn't there?
Old 07-20-2001, 07:08 PM
President of CAC

Great.. I will look for you and will be looking for a Cross rip flats shirt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.