Next Rip Trip - July 28th (SAT) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2001, 05:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Next Rip Trip - July 28th (SAT)

I propose the next trip to the rip for Sat, July 28th. I've attached a link to the current pre-paid priority list... HERE... but even if you are not on that list you could still get on the boat. This is just the list of paid waiting list people. If they do not elect to use their seating priority there will be open seats.

Reply here and you will be put on the list in the order you reply.

Thanks,
Juro

If you prepaid and don't see your name, sorry! Just let me know and I will correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2001, 07:07 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

I'll be grinding through 36 holes of a 54 hole golf tournament in New York that Saturday. I wish I could make it but my other passion must take precedent that weekend.

Hmmm.........any wagers on the greater of the two totals, my total putts for the 36 holes on Saturday vs. the total number of Rip Trip fish landed?
Old 07-19-2001, 07:35 PM
Craig

Count me in!
Old 07-19-2001, 07:54 PM
Flats Rat

I too will be chasing the little white ball that week-end. In fact I'm planning on giving my (now) second passion some air time during the month of August. September will see me back on the water with a vengeance! I may be making a trip back accross the pond that month too and there's this remote sandbar about a two mile walk out on an awasesome surf beach which ..........hmmmmm ;-)
Old 07-19-2001, 08:10 PM

Juro

I would like to go on Sat. I will be in Maine all next week until Friday. I won't have computer access until I get home. If for some reason I can't make it I will cover the cost with my fee if no one can fill my spot at the last minute. 8)
Old 07-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

No golf for me so count me in if I fit on the list.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:28 PM

Juro, when you first listed the rip trips I prepaid, and the first trip I was listed #11 whats happening? or is it like the hat?
Old 07-19-2001, 09:49 PM

Art -

I apologize, you must have paid by check (?). I just took a few moments during the work day (which I am still working on at this moment) to extract a spreadsheet from the paypal account and put together a list.

I knew there might be an issue with it, that's why I included the subnote in the above post. I do apologize. Let me go back to the previous roster and merge the two lists. I somehow remembered Bardy (who also sent a check). None of the checks have been cashed, they are at home on my desk in a file.

I recently attended a website management seminar, where they named the 'best practice' for a production site to be a minimum of 3 people, and optimally 10 people (various roles listed). I thought... man I am screwed!

Art, with utmost sincerity I have nothing but appreciation for your participation and any lack of my ability to get things done is not intentional. I have in fact put together a number of parcels that need to be shipped out and yours is particularly remiss on my part. That day I called to speak with you I was already feeling guilty about my responsiveness (or lack thereof). I thought I gave a hat to Ray at the tying clave last winter to give you but I now realize that it must have been for somebody else Ray was visiting that day.

I think this raises a grim reality for the future of the forum - it must evolve into a more distributed effort or there will be no hats, trip organization, etc - just a site like millions out there. I hope this is not the outcome, but the challenge will be real and probably get more real as time goes on.

I should get out of work in about 20 minutes, and need to be back in early for a mgmt report due in the morning. I'll get it taken care of and cut back on the commitments I make in the future.

Please accept my apologies, freind.
Old 07-19-2001, 09:57 PM

Just searched all the prepays and couldn't find your name in the paypal account. I found your info on the form to express your interest and get you on the mail list, but as stated in multiple posts I made recently that's a general sign up for spots not taken by prepaid folks and the priority goes to prepaid ryders. I am sure you sent a check so consider yourself in the prepaid list, if you are interested in the 28th consider yourself on the roster.

Should I add your name to the interested rip trippers? Just let me know and you're on.

regards,
Juro
Old 07-20-2001, 04:36 AM

I'm in can't wait to go. Will start tying like mad for the trip. Have a fund raising idea for the winter months. Why not put together a CD of saltwater tips and techniques to sell on line.
FishHawk
Old 07-20-2001, 05:45 AM

Juro, I sent my check on 6/22/01 check no 328. I would like to, but I wanted to go when you are. Seeing as I have never eyeballed you.
I still think this is a great bunch of guys, and you are to be commended for running the board by yourself, that means a lot of time and commitment. In the past I have sent e-mail without an answer. I have trouble answering my 3 or 4 pieces of e-mail, never mind 20 or 50 pieces a day. Thanks for letting this old man to post, I have met many guys that I would like to call "friend." RI south shore has not been that great with the shorefront restrictions "Piping Plovers" Been catching schoolies only in Quonochotaug Pond. Shrimp flies work as well as "Ray's Flies"
Old 07-20-2001, 06:17 AM

Thanks Art, I'm stopping by the post office today. I am also very anxious to meet you in person although that Rhodyfest a few years back was a close call!

Nick - I'll bring one of each color I've got left this weekend.

TomD - I'll put same in a box in my truck for the next time we meet.

Bardy - yours will go in the mail today as well.

I think those are the only outstanding chapeauz, please hit me up if I am wrong (squeaky wheels are OK with me!).

Looking forward to fishing with you guys again,

Juro
Old 07-20-2001, 07:03 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Art,

I am not saying that you are attacking Juro, especially given your praise for him in your last post. I really do believe that you have a legitimate gripe concerning the Rip Trip and the hat. You are entitled to your spot on the Rip Trip as well as your hat. That being said, your valid comments have motivated me to share some observations that I have made while contributing to this forum.

Personally, I find Juro's dedication to the site both honorable and amazing in scope. Juro and I have had a chance to fish together a number of times this year and each time we head out on the water the man unselfishly shares both his time and his knowledge without complaint. This magnanimous behavior also extends to his time off of the water. I cannot tell you how many detailed e-mails he has sent in reply to the questions of this neophyte angler. Impressive. He is an individual that truly seems to enjoy helping and teaching others. That is a rare personality trait in this fast paced day and age. He is a man that is truly dedicated to our Coastal Striped Bass Fishery. He is also a tough bastard that extends tons of personal time and effort towards this site without complaint. Amazing.

Now I am not kissing Juro's backside in the hope that he will reveal some of his most secret fishing locales via secret e-mail. I am just trying to motivate people - people like myself - to help out with the forum and take some of the pressure off of Juro. Think about how much you missed the Forum when the site's hosting company imploded and you could not get on Flytalk for a few days. That episode only reinforced the fact that I truly value and enjoy this site. There would certainly be a void in my life as a friend and a fisherman if this site went down. I bet that you would agree with me on this point.

Sadly, despite Juro's ample talent and drive, I do not think that he can continue to effectively maintain the site with such a Herculean solo effort. Someday the effort will wear him down, the site will suffer, and we will all be to blame. I think that this time is a long way off but I still fear the day that it arrives.

As I sit here in my glass house I am reminded that I should not throw stones. I have not helped out with the Forum in any appreciable ways. Guys like Roop and John Morin kick in ample help and I have not done the same. I vow to do more for the site in the future - even simple tasks that take a few hours of work off of Juro's plate. Maybe I could earn to make sign up sheets for claves or write some HTML code for Juro. Maybe I could be in charge of distributing some of the forum loot (hats). Next season, with a Spring Clave, a Rip Trip and a Bone Clave under my belt I vow to meister a clave or two. Anyway, my point is that I want to help out with the site and I hope that all of you that appreciate the site are willing to do the same. We cannot use family obligations and trying work schedules as excuses for not offering up an hour or two a week because I guarantee that Juro has every right to offer up the same excuses, but he doesn't.

Juro, thank you for your help this season and I commend you on this excellent site. If there is anything that I can help you out with concerning the site I want you to e-mail me or call me and we can talk about it.

Thanks to you all for putting up with my Friday morning diatribe. Hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the water this weekend.

-Mike Doogue
Old 07-20-2001, 07:20 AM
Flats Rat

Mike

Excellent points and the same thought has occurred to me and I'm sure everyone else on the board - it's that kind of group! I know from personal experience how time consuming it is to put together even the most rudimentary web site and this site is infinitely more sophisticated than that. Add to that the the organizational efforts of putting things like rip trips and claves together and your talking some serious hours of dedication.

It feels like we've grown to the point where some divisions of labor are called for. This forum has given me so much and I feel guilty at not giving something back. I'll throw my name in the hat.

This topic probably deserves it's own thread - Juro, tell us how we can help.
Old 07-20-2001, 07:50 AM
Wanna be striper bum

I agree that this topic deserves its own thread and I did not mean to contaminate this one!

Good point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.