6X saltwater hooks? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Marine Scientist

6X saltwater hooks?

Looking through Popovics's Pop Fleyes book, I'd like to tie a few of the bangers. Trouble is, the longest hooks I can find at the 6X length recommended are size 2, bronze. I've tried to tie this fly on a 4X Tiemco 9394 that I had lying around, which I realize is plated, but still no cigar, and the 911S is, so far as I know, 4X long, so no advantage there in terms of length. What I'm looking for is either a 6X hook in size 1 and larger, or a way to increase the length of the shank of a 4X hook in order to accomodate the live body foam head as well as the dressing. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

TUBE FLIES!
Old 01-09-2003, 02:54 PM
Marine Scientist

Forgive me if I'm a little daft, how does "tube flies" help?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:51 PM

I'll pass on the tube fly question for a more expert response but here's a trick I've tried with big poppers.

Use a standard shank length hook but crimp on some stranded wire through the eye and looped to a swivel. Make the overall length correct for the body of the banger you are building. Use a loo0p of wire to pull the assembly through the popper swivel first. Stop when the front loop of the swivel has just cleared the face of the foam. This allows you to build any body length popper you want with standard shank length hooks. You can even use it for segmented bodies.....
Old 01-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sorry - I have to ration my posting time at work into break periods.

Tube flies will allow you to make 10x or 20x poppers if you want, and you can use any size hook you want. Many bluewater poppers are tied on tubes. I've played with them for stripers and it's a great option. Use nylon tubes for light weight.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Marine Scientist

Bob - Thanks, I was actually toying with the idea of simply making a short steel leader (essentially one long barrel loop) and placing the popper body on that, but the swivel idea is better. I'll have to try that.

Juro - I see what you're saying now, I think. Run the tube through the popper body, line through tube tied to hook, right?

Thanks to you both!

Is there a way to simply extend the length of the actual hook shank that makes it a one-piece deal? I'd like to try that, as well, if there are any ideas.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:33 PM
President of CAC

You can basically use any hook you want so long as you don't pass the hook though the popper... Just carve a little grove at the bottom of the popper where you will superglue it to the shank. The popper rides "on Top" of the shank. Also you can pass the hook though the banger in the low portion of the banger thereby having no effect on the hook gap or screwing up your tail ... If you put the banger on top with super glue and then epoxy in for strength, you can still create a great tail, as Popovic does, by burning holes in the banger and inserting the Hackles in a concentric patern.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Marine Scientist

Thanks all!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.