Seattle Show Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Chief of E.P.

Seattle Show Flies

We are hoping to put together a couple of display boxes of steelhead flies to raffle off at the Seattle Show. If we can get enough quality offerings, I would like to possibly have a winter-run dozen and a summer-run dozen. The flies would be nicely displayed along with the pattern name and the name of the tyer. One member has also graciously offered to prepare a 5 fly collection of Glasso styled spey flies. The proceeds from these raffles will go towards a dedicated server to support the site.

So far, I have commitments from around a half dozen artisans of hook and feather. I am posting here a request for further submissions to the cause. If you would like to donate a fly or possibly two, let me know via pm or e-mail and I will get you on the list.

I anticipate that there will be more flies donated than can be displayed in two boxes. Should this happen, some will be displayed in a grand prize display case, and all of the others we receive in additional fly boxes.

In any case, any and all contributions will be appreciated and put to good use.

Thanks in advance!
Duggan

Last edited by sinktip; 01-08-2003 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2003, 05:08 PM

Wink

Sinktip,
As you know by now the world is just not ready for my fly tying creativity. After you complete and publish your new fly tying book, "OC and the Second Day of the New Moon" then just maybe the world will understand.

If needed I will go back to the fine tradition of traditional Alantic salmon or early traditional steelhead flies. I think I still remember how. But if there is something else I can do to help out Flytalk3 I am more than willing.

I can do mime, model active wear for older folks who are getting fat, put on a casting clinic with the many long leather whips I own and last but not least walk around the auditorium with one of those wooden signs that people used to wear with advertising on both sides attached by leather straps for the shoulders. It could say whatever Juro feels confortable with.

Seriously, I will give a hand and two feet for whatever is needed.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM

Talking

Nothing wrong with a sure thing.

Can't say as anyone would want anything tyed by me.

It would be great if some fly collections were for sale as well as raffle. I would seriously consider purchasing say a 9 fly collection of sinktip's favorites and/or flytyer's 6 favorite winter spey collection (or whatever) with proceeds going to support this forum.

ws
Old 01-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I think it adds complexity if we wanted to start selling things per se, but we might consider accepting all fly contributions (maybe even my humble dressings) and putting them into flyboxes so there are additional cool prizes for those who participate in the raffle. In other words, we will draw winners for these after the grand prize display case winners are drawn, more chances to win basically.

Something to think about.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Juro, you may be right about the complexities, etc.; I'm just looking at it from the consumer/attendee perspective (and bringing home something to show the SO).

Were it offered, I would likely purchase a 6-fly boxed set from the likes of sinktip, flytyer and/or others priced in the $20 range, knowing the proceeds would go to a great cause such as this forum. I would likely buy two such collections for a cool $40 going to supporting flytalk (besides my few raffle tickets). Think about it as another source of funding.

ws
Old 01-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Pullin' Thread

Watersprite,

If I tie the 4 Glasso Herons, 3 Glasso Soc Ducs, and the Glasso Polar Shrimp that would give you an 8 fly collection of the Glasso flies. My favorite speys for winter fishing are the Orange Heron, Brown Heron, Soc Duc Spey, and Polar Shrimp Spey of Glasso. To this I add the Red Knight of Don Kaas, my own Cop's Light Bar, and Walt Johnson's Red Shrimp and Deep Purple Spey. I know that is 8 flies, not the six you mentioned.

Then there are the Ally's Shrimp in orange, red, purple, black, claret, and pearl bodied purple. And the G.P. in orange with pink (called the Sean' Prawn) that I also carry and use in winter.

The offer of a Kelson Purple Emperer or Kate in additoin to the Glasso speys still stands as well.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:11 PM

Flytyer,

For this fund raiser, I'm thinking 8 such flies in a simple box would go for $25 - $26 with all proceeds to the forum. I'll place an order now for two (2) sets of eight (8), your selection.

As to the clave, I will be attending it as well as the show. Possibly bringing my 15 year old son along. I'll PM you regarding the possibilities of us sharing the rides, hither and yon.

ws
Old 01-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds great! My only concerns were about what is involved in conducting a retail business, etc.

If you are buying from another member, no problem!
Old 01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Pullin' Thread

Juro,

These flies are only going to be sold at the show with all monies going to the forum. I no longer tie commercially because I simply do not have the time with my current job responsibilities to tie 20 or more dozen spey flies/week during the winter. I still love to tie though and my skills can help out the forum without my being swamped with shop orders.

Watersprite,

I'll have the two sets for you at the show. Also, I look forward to being able to car pool with you and your son. If we ever get any fish in the river this winter/speing, let's get together sometime on the river since you live upriver and I fish from Birdsview up to Marblemount.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:51 AM

Question

flytyer, are you willing to take an other order?. If so i will buy 2 boxes of the Glasso flies. I can not make it to the show but i will pay for shipping, tight lines,brian
Old 01-09-2003, 07:39 AM

Looks like I have to back out of this one. For real, the licensing issue and tax liability could be a bummer for all what with those Tim Eyman initiatives pulling the teeth of the taxman and creating all those budgetary worries in Olympia. No one needs the tax authorities in a feeding frenzy. Just have to buy a bigger bunch of raffle tickets.

ws
Old 01-09-2003, 10:47 AM

At the Thompson River "Steelhead Shuffle" fund-raiser this fall, we auctioned a set of 29 flies donated by anglers over the course of about two weeks at the Log Cabin Pub. I can't remember the exact figure, but unbelievably for me, they sold for over $400 CDN. Don't underestimate the value of well-tied flies.

I'll send a few of my flies down with Dana or Tyler, but I guess blue heron is a no-no...

Poul
Old 01-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Pullin' Thread

Whisky Dick,

Yes, I'd tie you two sets as well, PM me with your address so I know where to send them. The money from these will also be donated to the forum.

Watersprite,

I have a tax number from the state of Washington and it could be used to get the fly sets with me then simply donating the proceeds to the forum so it doesn't become income to me. The tax man is happy, you get the flies, and the forum gets the money. The other way around the tax man is to simply call the flies a 'gift' and you then make a 'donation' to the forum when you get there and pick up the flies. After all the object of my doing this is to help raise funds for the forum.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:41 PM
The Speyshop' Speybum

Cool Sound Great

Where does a humble weaver get in line with all these high power spey tyers.

I think I might get togeather a few woven flies for the cause.
Speybum
Old 01-09-2003, 10:33 PM
Chief of E.P.

Speybum,

I have heard about your fantastic woven offerings. They would be most welcome.

If you are cool with it, drop them in the mail to:

Duggan Harman
22515 45th Ave. SE
Bothell, WA, 98021

Please include the patterns name and your full name so we can get it right for the display.

Duggan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.