Chatham-7/18 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2001, 10:14 AM
President of CAC

Chatham-7/18

Out at 4 this morning to the light house... past the point.. late outgoing.. continued for about a mile down the ocean side of south beach. one guy I spoke with headed out just before me and stoped at the point.. walking in the dark just before the point I heard a loud bark and growling .In the dark I bearly can see a huge dog or I thought a coyote come out from the dunes and walking slowly. low, and approaching this guy who stops and stares back at the the dog... I pulled my knife and started to move quickly to the guy.. the dog is a huge german shepard I think and stops.with its head down and deep growling. A stare down with the guy.. the dog then slowly moves off back into the dunes.. scared the bejesus out of me and him. Anyway, that got the adrenilin flowing.. too early for that though. Oh.. this is a fishing report.. caught 3 30 inch fish among the seals, I walked the beach and picked the holes where the seals were.. paid off. would have liked to stay but the tide was moving in quick. I when out at knee high and came back in at chest high... to close for me.. need to smarten up.. Back tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2001, 10:25 AM

Interesting story John!
What is the deal with this w/e.
Is there a Rip TRip and if so are there still spots available?
Thanx
Brian Z.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:28 AM
President of CAC

Brian.. I don't know right now.. I have not spoken to Juro... we can certainly schedule one... Juro.. please contact me.. I can make arrangements with Keith... What are the tides, weather forcast, etc.?
Old 07-18-2001, 06:50 PM

Chatham-7/18 (When dog's attack)

John, I'm glad you're ok!

FWIW: I train GSD's in Schutzhund and feel obligated to point out that this staring is exactly what you should avoid doing in this situation. Staring is taken as a challenge and usually leads to an attack immediately. It's a tactic we use to lead dogs to attack in training in fact. It's possible this was a bitch protecting pups and may not have even been a GSD, even if you think it looked like one - esp. with the variance in the breed.

If it was approaching snarling and crouched down (low as you say) it was scared. Very dangerous.

Just be aware of the dogs presence and location, do NOT turn your back on it (triggers prey drive), yet do not make direct eye contact. Just remain still, it's the best advice for most people (i.e., w/o training in interpretting a dog's posture). Usually, they will go away. Never run or make quick movements. In your situation, I wouldn't have walked slowly toward them with your knife in sight (keep in mind that it's likely you will NOT get a chance to stab the dog before it's torn you up pretty good. Most people think in their minds they will be able to subdue a dog when it attacks if they are armed ... they are sorely mistaken. I used to think this way too, "Hey, they don't have thumbs and I can stab/shoot him a few times even if he bites me." - nope. Their bite is lightening fast and it's likely they will bite the hand with the weapon. I've seen totally untrained dogs do this by instinct. My dog bit me once during training and I didn't even see it happen - you'd think he was in The Matrix or something. Just blood pouring out of my hand was all I saw. This is also a dog that doesn't feel much pain either (bred for that actually for police work) and if you stuck him, you'd better hit a major artery, because otherwise you'd just piss him off).

Anyway, I've had too much coffee and typing way too fast for my own good... just glad you weren't hurt.
Old 07-18-2001, 07:52 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Can you say BEAR MACE!!!!

I thought I had enough junk to carry while fishing........?

Glad to hear all is well, though. Be careful out there.

~Mark
Old 07-18-2001, 08:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John -

From your description it sounds like this beast was bigger than the coyote that was probing around south beach two weeks ago at dawn. Remember her? Unless coyote males pee like female dogs, it was a she coyote (believe me I am no expert but this was a coyote).
Old 07-18-2001, 09:14 PM

Quote:
juro (07-18-2001 09:02 p.m.):
John -
From your description it sounds like this beast was bigger than the coyote that was probing around south beach two weeks ago at dawn. Remember her? Unless coyote males pee like female dogs, it was a she coyote (believe me I am no expert but this was a coyote).
Not surprised. Mass is having a population issue with them, esp. with new housing construction pushing them out of their dens. Had one in my backyard a few weeks ago and then one in the street a week later.

FWIW: males often pee squatting as well. Also, coyotes don't bark or growl, so it was likely a dog.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:15 PM
President of CAC

Great.. that's all I need to hear... Walk toward it??? I have got to read that again. I am going out tomorrow morning again. I might bring a baseball bat with me or a machete. That probably won't do any good.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:21 PM

Quote:
striblue (07-18-2001 10:15 p.m.):
Great.. that's all I need to hear... Walk toward it??? I have got to read that again. I am going out tomorrow morning again. I might bring a baseball bat with me or a machete. That probably won't do any good.
NO!!! Sorry, typo, I'll fix it.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:26 PM
President of CAC

Tin Man, what will walking toward it achieve.. scare it more or will it start waging it's tail, or will it think it has met it's match.. what happens if it starts walking toward me as I walk toward it.. are we then committed. Neeed to know. How about walking in the water up to my knees or something. Please advise. I want to go at 4'
Old 07-18-2001, 09:30 PM

If it's anything like my dogs just bring a soapy brush and some water and they will run like hell!

I should be serious...
Old 07-18-2001, 09:31 PM

Quote:
striblue (07-18-2001 10:26 p.m.):
Tin Man, what will walking toward it achieve.. scare it more or will it start waging it's tail, or will it think it has met it's match.. what happens if it starts walking toward me as I walk toward it.. are we then committed. Neeed to know. How about walking in the water up to my knees or something. Please advise. I want to go at 4'
Hi John,

See post before this one and my original response. I changed the working a bit. Sorry about that, trying to do too many things at once at this late hour.

You said you had walked toward the two possible combatants and my suggestion was that if you still insist on doing that, at least go very slowly so as not to surprise the dog. I can understand if you wanted to get closer in case the guy needed help.

If the dog starts towards you because it suddenly saw you, I don't think it would be a slow process at that point ;-). But I'm guessing the dog was being defensive and was also scared, so it's not likely to leave it's territory.

The mace suggestion isn't a bad one by the way. Red pepper spray is cruel, but if you don't have a choice. It would be sad to think this is an abandonded dog that's just trying to scrape out an existence. More common than you want to hear about.

If you really want on the spot advice, I'll have to come with you to your secret places in Chatham
Old 07-18-2001, 09:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
please remember... mace is not always (though it is usually) effective, and can really piss off an already agressive animal. just don't get cocky. tinman, I've been around alot of dogs, many gsd as well. been bit about 4 times. I agree, lightning fast... be carefull guys. Tom D
Old 07-18-2001, 09:36 PM

How about a compressed gas airhorn? At close range they are head-splitting loud.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:42 PM
President of CAC

Mike, Thanks ,that is good advice even if I don't encounter it again. That knowledge may come in handy at a later date... hopfully not. Juro... I never thought of that.. good idea. I will get some really nice smelling soap. But only if you come with me, and Mike that's a deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.