Why flyfishing? - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Fly chucker

I can think of three reasons...

It's a perfect blend of strength and delicacy.

While some fishing can be passive, flyfishing is always active.

There are many times when other gear would be more productive, but when the conditions are right and the fly is what can be fished the best it's just simply one of the sweetest things in life.
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2003, 09:32 AM

what fishawk said....

I'm in it for the ZEN. The feeling of total insulation from the rest of the world when your senses are ultimately in tune with the flex of a flyrod and the pursuit of your quarry.

The ongoing sound if the river in your ears when you step away from a raging freestoner after fishing and camping on it for a few days straight.

The strange effect a tidal flat can have on your senses after you've been scanning fish for hours on end, trying to find the zone. And the good tired feeling when you get back to the car after a long day in the sand, salt and sun.

Random encounters with nature and witnessing the cycle of life being carried out day to day basis, unnoticed by the rest of the world.

And most importantly the sound my drag makes when a big fish takes a fly that I tied the night before - at the picnic table with good friends and a couple of brews.

It doesn't get any better than this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2003, 12:19 PM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
Why do I fly fish?

For me, it's the only control I have in the surreal world I forged for myself.
I deal in abstracts and caos on a daily basis.

Fly fishing offers me an escape, a way back to days long ago.
A time to think and reflect.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:18 PM

Great responses from all
Old 01-10-2003, 05:09 PM

Cool On Fly Fishing:

Locations, Observations, Romatization,
Frustrations & Celebration.

Plans, Preparations & Traditions.

Relaxation, Fraternization, Dedication,
Participations & Explanation.

Exertions, Hesitations & Realizations

Tension, Contemplation,
Meditations, Endless Iterations.

Still no explanation!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Recent Member

why flyfishing?

I totally agree with all comments to date. My wife bought me a flyfishing package for my fortieth birthday last year. The inlaws chipped in for a vest and my sister and brother in law a selection of flies. Since that time (October 2001), I have spent hundreds of hours in the water enjoying the sport. It's the only thing I do that I don't have my cell phone by my side (that and marital relations of course..). I used to spin cast and still do a bit in LI sound and out at the vineyard, but there is something "pure" about flyfishing.

I don't care if I catch a fish or not. Standing at river side prior to entering the water, lining up the rod, one begins to feel the rythem of the water and nature. Striding into the water, you become part of the flow of the river.

I have seen bald eagles flying overhead, and had lines of geese "blow ballast" as they suddenly become aware of my presence when flying upstream. I have seen beavers eating vegetation in the ripples I am fishing. The light changes as the day progresses, and in doing so, different aspects of the riverside become more prevalent. Like watching a movie...

One observation, when entering a stretch of water with other flyfishermen in the water, there is little or no interaction. Get the same guy in the parking lot or at the local fly shop and the conversation flows, based on the mutual appreciation of the sport. Why is that?

Tight lines all...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.