This Weekend? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2001, 06:41 AM
Craig

This Weekend?

Hey:

What are everyone's plans for the up coming weekend? The forcast looks awesome! Will there be a Rip Trip scheduled? Then again the tides do not look good for the Rip. When will we set up a yak/canoe clave?

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2001, 08:43 AM
President of CAC

Craig.. I will be around .. Will do south Beach... ocean side.. had good luck this morning... or Yak... let me know... I will pass on any Rip Trip.. if there is one.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:27 AM

I'd also be in for joining you guys. Either RiP Trip or At the usual local hangout.
Drop a line back
Thanx, Brian Z.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:29 AM
President of CAC

Will do Brian
Old 07-19-2001, 06:32 AM
Craig

Juro:

Maybe this weekend would be good to put together one of those $20 a man deals. ;-)

Where will all the serious fishing take place? Would like to meet up with you.

Brian and John:

So far it looks like we will be meeting at the usuall spot, what time should I meet you there?

Craig
Old 07-19-2001, 06:51 AM
Middle Aged Member

My weekend is turning to crap. Turns out a Sunday pm birthday party in RI is actually Saturday and somehow I have to be picking my son up at orientation in Boston at the same time. I may give up on Saturday altogether and go to North Monomoy Sunday. Anybody else considering NM Sunday. Haven't been there yet this year.

Fred A.
Old 07-19-2001, 06:52 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
As it stands now, I'd be up for meeting you at the usual this weekend as well. I am also interested in a Yak attack somewhere, and it will probably be with me this weekend.

Nick
Old 07-19-2001, 10:43 AM
President of CAC

OK.. I am very flexible... I am here... I would like to fish the light house in the morning... then I am game for NM or whatever.... I would consider yaking to North Monomoy as well.. gives a lot of options... have to look at the tides.. the yakers could meet the walkers at NM .. plans are wide open.. too many places too little time.
Old 07-19-2001, 11:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bayside flats, Monomoy, South Beach - all great candidates for people who want to work on their sight fishing this weekend. As many will agree, it can be very humbling to see hundreds of bass and land very few... but like all things it takes time invested to unlock the little secrets of the game and it's only time wasted when you aren't trying something new or different. Those who hire guys like Randy get the fast track to this knowledge, and those who go for a ride on a flats boat like Todd's see a whole other side of the refuge. The rips that surround the area hold huge populations of fish and no one knows them like Capt.Bruce. Lots of options on a hard running tide like this weekend promises to deliver!

The Chatham lighthouse will be pretty skinny by dawn IMHO (early morning minus tide), the channel is so far out this year that you'd have to wade out to the shallow bars or better yet walk south down the beach toward the inlet and you'd have to be back before they ticket or tow you. Good for those willing to take an early morning hike.

With outer beaches like Head of the Meadow showing a lot of structure, you might get lucky and find big ocean fish trapping bait in bowls pre-dawn but the fishing is pretty limited if they are not.

Sunken Meadows just off the rotary a ways has been bringing those bayside fish onto the beach with the incoming, which is timed this weekend for a pre-dawn walk-out and a steady incoming thru the morning, should be lots of action by breakfast time when the tourists get their turn on the sand.

Brewster Flats and Quivett Creek should be at their best despite it being a little late in the season the big fish have not left the shoreline flats this year as far as I can determine. This is also a dangerous tide as well, a lot of water will come in quick once it gets past a certain point. The good news is you can walk out the the edge at pre-dawn and fish the prime time at the start of the flood, nice way to start the day.

South cape beach should have a raging shoreline current west of the lot. Yakking the morning flood around Craigville beach would be a winner for bass and blues. Loop beach flat should see some blues at dawn with big bangers and wire tippet. Wacky's been it's usual wacky with fish and B-bay has not gone doggy yet either.

Off-cape on the north shore I hear the bait has been really thickening up and my guess is that all those fish in the harbor are going to make an appearance around Cape Ann and beyond with August just around the corner. Should be another great fall up there on "the other cape".

Of course the harbor has been lit up lately by all accounts too, south shore fishing real well. Must be the heart of the season, and the good news is that I have yet to see anything worth calling "the dog days".

Lots of options! Here's a little mantra I made up to remind myself of the rules when I moved back from steelhead country and had to re-learn striper fishing... "early or late, moving water and bait". This time of year, that's about all one needs to know ;-)

GOOD FISHING!
Old 07-20-2001, 07:08 AM
Middle Aged Member

Looks like I'll spend some quality time with my wife Sunday. Fish the creek at dawn (should be an ideal tide), take my wife to the Marshside for breakfast, futz around with the kayak and relax. Next week it's off to Maine. Anyhow, hope every one has tight lines and screaming drags. See you all in a couple of weeks.

Fred A.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My friend Tom who took a week off down there last week says the fish have been actively tailing around the new shoal / channel structures out there on the flood, which should be timed perfectly for your outing. He said he was surrounded with fish and they were aggresively eating sand eel patterns cast toward them in super-shallow water. Gotta love that! He had no problem finding legal size fish, a bit unusual for the bayside flats this time of year on foot but they just don't seem to want to leave this year. Fine by me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.