Tan Shrimp---to get us going - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 02:20 AM
President of CAC

Tan Shrimp---to get us going

Here is a shrimp I copied ..hate to say it but it is the one in a picture I posted a couple weeks ago..Dave's Shrimp and got it out of "Art In Angling Journal." Size #1 mustad signature hook, Tan thread 6/0......Take 16 ginger hackles..all fine side points streached out with fingers rubbed down the side and then trimmed leaving about 1/8 inch for hairs..tips left in. Mouth- 6 hackle of the 16 ,2 long, 2 medium, 2 short and tied in...Oh...hook need application of fine lead wire along the shank....Tie in those hackles at the mouth long first then medium, then short. Then two eyes, burnt mono, plack paint then dip in epoxy, and set aside...... after dry..place into position and then two long grizzly stalks for feelers on top on eyer tye....... Then tan Yard from head to hook eye... then invert the hook and take remaining hackles and tie in legs so they splay out,,, 5 legs to a side, 10 altogether... then cut plastic sheet for carapace... carefully tye down moving thread carefully between legs and secure at hook eye.. the carapace needs to be cut so that you have a swimmerette at the back...bueatiful fly..I could not resist tyeing this one and a great original from this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01326.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	1223  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2003, 11:14 AM

Cool

Striblue, thoes legs should ACT nice when striped SLOWLEY
the ones I got for the next swap was w/plastic bag cut on
top also. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"
Old 01-06-2003, 09:35 AM

John,

What kind of plastic are you using for the carapace? Great looking pattern - so pretty you almost don't want to get it wet! :hehe:
Old 01-06-2003, 12:49 PM
President of CAC

Dave, I just used a plastic bag from one of my stickon eye packages..the sandwich bags are to thin to work with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.