leaving, again - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
The Mayfly Swami

Send a message via AIM to cohocola
leaving, again

I'm leaving this forum, again...
I tried to fit in, however I feel outcasted, once again....

I was made to feel that way as mayflyman, and now I feel like my views are being mocked...

Thanks for nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Flats Rat

If you have already left then this is a wasted post but if you should come back - my post on the cloning thread was not intended to mock your point of view - merely to express my own. If I gave any other impression then I apologise.

Everyones opinion is valued here, whether or not people agree or disagree is irrelevent. That's what makes this forum different to so many others - its not about winning debates or being the greatest fly caster or catching the biggest fish or whatever. Just a community of folks who love the sport and enjoy sharing ideas and, occaisionally, holding different points of view.

Last edited by Adrian; 01-01-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Middle Aged Member

I don't get it. Looking at the threads you started I see nothing in responses to support your view. Even threads on topics that have been beaten to death here have been responded to with patience, respect and enthusiasm. If you have read recent threads on aquaculture and restoration of native speceis in the Great Lakes in the environment or spey forums you would understand there is a strong sentiment here toward wild fish (if the cloning thread is the source of your discontent).

Last edited by FredA; 01-01-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:58 PM

Gotta Agree with FredA (if the cloning thread is the source of your discontent).

When I first saw your post I was a bit non-plused. Not because of the question, but that the question - in a direct sense - hasn't come up to my memory.

I thought it generated very thoughtful answers. And that's one of the major strengths of this Board: you can ask some odd (don't touch that you guys! ) questions and you never know what will come back .... or how the thread will wander over time.

Mentally stimulating stuff!!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Whoaaa....

Dude, If your going away please leave that great Avatar it is the best ever! Don't really see what your complaint is based on but whatever works for somw disses others I guess.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:29 PM

I'm not sure why I made the effort, but in looking back at cohocola and mayflyman's posts, I didn't see a mocking tone or any disrepect. This is one of the best things about this site. There really is a very civil and freindly vibe here. I guesse I hate to see any hurt feelings.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:31 PM

Agree, I looked back through Cohocola's posts and the forumn members responses, and saw none that should offend any one.

I only responded to one of the posts and gave a helpful link on Ohio Lake Erie steelheading which is what the information request was. Never received any acknowledgement from Cohocola on that thread.

I also remember Mayflyman who joined about the same time I did in November 2001. Mayflyman just stopped posting for no reason that I could see in December 2001. I responded to the last thread posted to by Mayflyman and went back to see if I had said anything that could have been taken the wrong way. I could not see anything out of order.

Oh well such is life in cyper space these days, here today, gone tomorrow, etc.....

PM Out
Old 01-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mayflyman -

I feel I should reply because I am most likely one of the respondents with whom you feel disheartened. Let me explain my perspective, if nothing for no other reason than to try to have you understand that there is no ill feeling in my replies - only a passion for the topics you happened to bring up.

Let's take for instance the topic of cloning fish for purposes of enhanced sport. To one person this may be an ideal solution, to others it's a violation of what a wild fishing experience is all about. Please do not interpret a passionate response to a hot topic as something that is directed at you the participant - that's simply not the case.

I am very passionate about that particular topic, but in no way did I intend my replies to be received in a personal manner.

If someone replied that they felt all fish should be genetically engineered for maximum sporting purposes, screw nature in response to my post, I would not take it as a personally directed mockery but a counter-point from someone who felt strongly about their perspective. Furthermore, I would volley with my best, because I feel that we've gotten ourselves into a huge genetic mess already.

Yes, we can get fiery about certain subjects here, thank God. These subjects are the ones that deserve nothing less from sportsmen.

I hope you do not take your enthusiasm and energy and leave the community, it's a real asset - but I have to advise that it's simply not realistic to expect avid anglers to do anything less than reply with passion for those topics they feel strongly about.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:14 AM
Fly chucker

I'm lost on this one...

I didn't see anything patronizing or mocking in the replies to any of your posts. Heck, Juro even went out of his way to resurrect a great thread from a while ago (strangest thing caught on a fly) to shed some light on your thread about the same thing.

I also responded to the genetics thread, but that's only because it's something I'm familiar with here in my work (immunology/biochemistry). There was nothing in my response directed at you, and if you took it any other way then I really don't know what to say.

I liked you as Mayflyman, and I like you now under your new ID. It would be a shame to see you leave over something like this.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:33 AM

Several repsected posters have concluded that there was no violation and I agree. Web discussion boards are no place for people with sensitivities that high. Because of the electronic medium, there is no accompanying body language to soften each statement or remark. Egos get bruised. It takes a while to become a little more teflon-esque. Sorry this guy didn't get toughened up before he left. This place is relatively civil and calm.
Oh well...See ya!

Now let's get back to that Mission Statement discussion:eyecrazy:

Lefty (looking forward to the show)

Last edited by Lefty; 01-02-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Sponsor

As a new member and sponsor myself I find the people on this board very knowledgable and very passionate about their views. Like another post said it's hard to pick up on "emotion" of a post because this is just written word on a screen. Hate to see anyone leave and hope to see you reconsider!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.