Spong Bob Flies - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2002, 11:14 AM
President of CAC

Spong Bob Flies

Here are a new series of flies I have tied... These are based on the Blados crease fly but differ in several significant aspects. First, they are not hollow like the crease fly, second ,they are to act as sliders and not poppers, thirdly, they have a marabou tail for more movement than the usual bucktail, forthly, they have a more realistic fish head. and finally they have my continued thinking on using natural materials for the body of the fly or the colors.. All have natural feathers inside the epoxy for coloration and visual texture. Named after my favorite cartoon..Spong Bob Square Pants. Thanks to Pete..French Creek for sparking me on to this by asking about crease flies. The Back drop is an original Tony Stetzko Water Color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01313.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1193  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Fly chucker

Interesting concept. I see that you're putting some of Joe's fly clips to good use.

Question: You say that the body is not hollow like the crease fly. Does this mean that you've simply creased the foam and folded it onto itself, resulting in a very thin head-on profile?

They look great and should be taken as dead ringers for wounded baitfish. Sponge Bob would be proud!
Old 12-31-2002, 11:39 AM

...and to think that I was expecting to really see a square yellow foam fly.....
Old 12-31-2002, 11:55 AM

Thumbs up

These look great john. The natural color schemes as opposed to the metallic tape would make these flies awesome for FW bass fishing. The middle one's a dead ringer for a wounded perch on it's last legs.

Nice work.

Dave
Old 12-31-2002, 12:10 PM
President of CAC

Yes... Mark ,they are simply folded on to them selves. I want the wounded bait fish slide...Doug..don't start giving me ideas... I might have to try one for the fun of it......I will be tying some this after noon with more saltwater application...just wanted to experiment with different feathers.... I want a buch of these for the show along with the earlier poppers I did with the feathers imbeded in the epoxy.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via AIM to Joshr
sponge bobs

Once again, John, very nice. One thought: be careful about closing the hook gap too much. This is often a problem with crease flies too....even the ones you can buy commercially--if the body isn't tapered properly, you miss a lot of strikes.

You should try an articulated version!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.