Bonito/albie leader and knot questions - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2001, 06:52 PM

Bonito/albie leader and knot questions

Gentlemen,
Which brand fluorocarbon leader material are you using for bonito and/or albies? Leader length? Knots?
Thank you in advance!
Doug Burgess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2001, 07:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Although not the cheapest, I opt for the non-bulk spools rather than the spinning-reel filler brands. Probably due to convenience in my chest pack as much as anything else, I could be losing $ but I go thru so little of it the relative cost doesn't bug me. I don't like to go under 12# in SWFF, use the 15# mostly (tippet). I have had good luck w/ Climax brand.

Not sure what the consensus will say but frankly a fresh maxima ultragreen 12# tippet wouldn't keep me from casting at tunoids and it hasn't seemed to affect their response last year.

Being without a boat right now I am not sure my experiences are the best to consider. Tunoids are primarily a boater's game and fishing knowledge comes from trial and error. Boaters get to try and err a lot more than shore schleppers so should have more (albeit anecdotal) experiences to share.

When it comes to big finicky stripers on the flats, I use flouro in 15# tippet because 12# is awful light for some of those big dogs cruising for a bruising.

The only reason I don't just use Maxima UG 100% of the time is that it does tend to have a shine under certain conditions that flouro doesn't.

On the contrary I noticed that flouro is significantly more visible at the blood knot than Maxima UG, when joined together the side that shows is the flouro side.

Short answer: I've had no problems w/ non-bulk 12# or 15# flouro, and maxima UG has always done well by me too (before all the flouro craze caught on).

I'd also ask the charter capt's for their take. Experience is the best teacher and they got a lot.
Old 07-13-2001, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info, Juro!
....and for reminding me of my "shore fisherman" status.
DB
Old 07-13-2001, 06:54 AM

Orvis Mirage has worked well for me over the past few seasons. I think that all of the brands are very similar, personally. I only use fluoro for the tippet, and I hit the knot with superglue at home. Can't remember ever having a problem.
Old 07-13-2001, 08:05 AM

Juro,
Blood knot? Is that what you use for tippets?

Lefty
Old 07-13-2001, 08:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Absolutely Lefty, I've gotten so I can tie them quickly. It's kind of a two-handed alternating away/toward wrap thingie using two fingers and a thumb from each hand. I tie all my own leaders so have gotten pretty fast with it.

Are you a surgeon's knot type of guy? I use that for trout leaders and to secure wire tippet in salt but not mono/flouro in 12# or 15# (or sometime 20#) tippet sizes for stripers. I like the straight-coupled blood knot over the surgeon's knot especially on larger diameter leaders like SWFF leaders. May be dumb but a lot of it is aesthetics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.