Fly Swap Flies- Quentin - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 02:10 PM
President of CAC

Fly Swap Flies- Quentin

Here are Quentin's... Please type in the receipe on your next post to this post for the archives..Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quentin.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1185  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2002, 05:02 AM

These flies look like they would be a great for Albies.
FishHawk
Old 12-30-2002, 08:45 AM
_

Well, I didn't manage to get any albies on them, but this fly was very good to me on Chatham's South Beach flats. On one day I broke my personal record for stripers twice (31" and 34") and hooked, but lost, my largest flyrod striper to date (close to 40").

Here's the recipe:

Hook: Size 1 Mustad 34007 or equivalent.
Thread: Clear mono.
Tail: White bucktail tied in slightly forward of bend and extending about one total hook length beyond bend.
Body: Pearl body material. I used a strip of gift wrap ribbon 1/8" wide.
Flash/Underwing: 6 strands Pearl Crystal Flash tied in at head and folded back to make 12 strands. Flash extends slightly past tail.
Wing: Yellow-brown-olive bucktail slightly longer than underwing. This material is from the edge of the brown hair on a yellow bucktail, so its color varies from olive to yellowish brown with dark tips on some of the hairs.
Eyes: 3mm adhesive holographic silver/black.

Wrap the hook with thread and tie in the tail, body, flash and wing (in that order). Apply a light coat of 5 minute epoxy while holding the materials in place. The epoxy should penetrate the materials and extend just beyond the tail tie-in point. I microwaved the epoxy for about 7 seconds to make it thinner so it was easier to apply. While the epoxy sets, pull the materials slightly back and up to form the desired shape. Use a bodkin or similar tool to press hairs in place if necessary. When the epoxy is dry attach the eyes and add gills with red marker if desired. Apply a second coat of epoxy over the eyes and the entire area covered by the first coat, and place the fly in a rotator to dry. I used 2-ton epoxy for the second coat so that I could do a few flies before the epoxy started to set. You may wish to add a third coat of epoxy over the eyes to smooth things out or to build up the head a bit.

Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.