2004 Fishing Partners ? - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2002, 08:10 PM

I am gaining their confidence with treats and constant petting, they are sleeping together right now against the front door on the cold tile floor. This 20 degree weather is nothing to these guys.

Down side is I had to put all of my fly tying stuff away otherwise they would be having a chew fest on my pheasant skins and squirrel tails etc...

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2002, 05:26 AM
removed_by_request

It's amazing how those siberian dogs like it cold!! Bet you'll be putting in another ac unit this summer. Think BTU's lots of them
Old 12-27-2002, 08:09 AM

True, they lay by the front door on the cold tile against the door where the cold air is leaking in and go to sleep. Last night the two of them dug a hole in the snow and dirt in the back yard and jumped into it. Sat their looking out being cool.

Will take a better picture of them so you can see their faces, they almost look alike twins at times.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 08:10 AM

Thumbs up

Hal,
Great looking pups. They look like Steelhead Dawgs already! I thought you were gonna get one. What happened? Couldn't make your mind up? I will trade you out some Grey Drake hair for some white/red wing material:hehe:

John

PS Keep those pheasant capes WELL OUT OF SNIFFING SNOUT' S REACH! I learned that one the hard way.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:38 AM

Lipripper,

We were planning on getting two pups. My youngest son, Ross wanted a husky. We could not find one until my wife started making calls last week through her animal welfare league contacts. Found that Tala Siberians in Kalamazoo was the only one in driving distance of Chicago with siberian husky pups for sale. They have a web site where you can see their dogs. We also had a search for a chesapeake retriever pup that has now been called off. After seeing the two pups wife and three sons out voted me and we decided to take two of them.

The breeders said they are great out door dogs, love to run and interestingly also love the water and are good swimmers.

I am sure they will like winter steelheading in Michigan. Cold does not bother these boys. They are breeded for that. There ancestors were the dog teams that lead the discovery of the north and south poles. We have 3 books on siberians now interesting history.

Oh yeah they can jump also. I was petting their father "Dief" who is a show champion, stood up, and in an instant he had a jumped up and licked my face before I could react. I am 5" 11''.

Wife just called they are getting comfortable in their new home, day 2, digging holes in the snow etc...

Life is never dull around our house and now will be even more interesting.

Shoot me a PM when the fishing heats up, current reports from there look a bout the same, slow. Oh well if you get a nice day in upper thirties and no wind it still can be a beautiful peace ful day in winter wonderland.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 10:12 AM
removed_by_request

Funny you mentioned a Cheesie, was looking into getting one 3 years ago until I did some serious research.

Found out they needed massive amounts of time both in and out of the water to ease their boredom, I guess the bore easily. Which means they take it out on your favorite toys.

Settled for a Choc Lab, he settled right into a laid back lenny lifestyle. He enjoys his Saturday and Sunday runs in the corn fields, but alos likes laying on his bed sleeping. Bets of both worlds.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:07 AM

One neighbor has a brown lab pub, does not hunt him.

Other neighborhood friend from years of youth baseball and his kid plays with mine on Richards football team. He has a 2 year old black lab that he pheasant and duck hunts with. He is a big hunter.

I gave up huning deer, duck, upland game, etc. in 1972 but I am not giving up fly fishing.

Maybe I will get into dog snow sledding with the siberians ? Pack into those out of the way winter steelhead areas.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 11:34 AM
removed_by_request

The cost of your winter fishing gear just went up.

Save the $$ walk in and buy a T$T 13'er you won't be sorry.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:01 AM

I will be looking for a used T+T, never would buy an expensive rod like that new. You can call me "prudently cheap" if you like it will not hurt my feelings.

Had to puppy sit last night. Heres a new picture of them. People were asking my wife and boys yesterday when they took them out where we got the baby coyotes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	siberian red pups - 12_27_02.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1171  
Old 12-28-2002, 12:15 PM

Talking Use care -

Hal -

Taking young malemutes on a steelhead trip MAY be courting disaster - unless they are fully trained. As I recall, alaskans feed their dogs on frozen fish (salmon), and the dogs LOVE 'em - that I can guarantee. They MAY help you land them, but it sure won't be for catch and release .......

Cute dogs, by the way, and I'm sure you will be happy with them. Keep the faith - it'll only take about a year for them to get over chewing everything in reach, and even chain can't keep them from going where they want!

I speak from experience! But they are so neat, your anger and frustration melts when they vie for attention, as affectionate and innocent as can be.

BobK
Old 12-28-2002, 12:32 PM

Bob K

Thanks, they sure play rough, chasing each other around the back yard playing biting each others tails. They tire each other out and then go to sleep for a while. At least that was our strategy in getting two.

Oops got to go my beloved NY Giants are on now. Hard choice between football and fly fishing for me. Right now its play off football.

Will check in later today.

PM Out
Old 12-28-2002, 12:54 PM

Ah yes, like Sheba they will be 'sociable ones.

'Taking young malemutes on a steelhead trip MAY be courting disaster - unless they are fully trained. As I recall, alaskans feed their dogs on frozen fish (salmon), and the dogs LOVE 'em - that I can guarantee. They MAY help you land them, but it sure won't be for catch and release ....... "

Sheba's pushing 13 and still has bursts of 'puppiedom' when I'm sliding a fish onto the beach. Normally a SHEBA MOVE!! will do the trick ... for a moment or two. Interesting trying to convince/move an excited pooch when you have a 15-16 foot long rod in your hand with attendent line and leader beyond that....and a fish who wants to be anywhere but there.

Been more than once where I've just handed the rod to a bystander and pushed a woofing pooch out of the way so I could pop a hook and release the fish. If you have an 'audience' it will be worse as "they" tend to play to the crowd.
Old 12-28-2002, 02:51 PM
removed_by_request

Brought a dog I had once to the river, darn thing started to eat the dead salmon. Man did that dog get sick. Lets just say the ride home was an adventure.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:42 PM

Another true doggie adventure -

Many years ago, right after Korea and when we first got out of the Marines (just about 50 years ago), my buddy and I left for a weekend early spring trout fishing trip. Nice, warm late April day, we had the top down on his Mercury convertible, and his young good-looking Lab perched attentively in the back seat. We stopped in to visit briefly with our ol' buddy, Basil Croft, who ran a bait shop and tourist trap in the Adirondacks, and while we were inside chatting with Basil, the lab jumped out of the back seat and made a beeline for a big pile of dead smelt, and joyously rolled around in them before we could do anything.

Even with the top down, and after 2 baths, the smell was UNBEARABLE! (Even on the way back, 2 days later when it was snowing out - with the top still down!). The dog spent most of the weekend tied to a tree about 50 yards downwind from our campsite, but every once in a while the wind would shift..... It took a lot of help from some Yukon Jack to make that trip bearable.

Aah, yes, memories of doggies and fishing!

BobK:hehe:
Old 12-28-2002, 10:21 PM

My god I just realized I just started a dog thread on a world wide fly fishing forumn.

Should I delete it ?

Fred informed me as the starter of a thread you have the authority to delete it. I must have missed the forumn's training course on thread administration.

Bob K, good story about the lab, poor dog, he thought he was having fun with those dead smelt.

PM Ou

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.