Blue Crab---#2 - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2002, 03:33 PM
President of CAC

Blue Crab---#2

This is a better picture of the cut of the carapace.. I changed the swimmerettes, propped the eyes up over the carapace and put a light coating of E-Z paint before I epoxied the partridge feathers down. Capturing the true color of the blue crab is hard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01264.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1158  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2002, 06:02 AM

Question

Nice work. I have a question. Is the natural a blue green or more on the light blue shade? I saw a blue crab photo in one of the mags. and it was more blue green. However, this crab came from Florida.
FishHawk
Old 12-25-2002, 11:56 AM

John, wow, it gets better and better. I have a freind who does about 20 days of permit fishing a year. He has been playing with a molded carapace crab that a dentist friend of his is developing, and I see some terrific similarities(like minds think alike). I really like the way you incorporate the organic materials to give your patterns "life". The dentist's look a little dead to me, but the permit seem to like them. I suspect that they would love yours(with a little more green for Belize).
I read that Del Brown has been tieing all his merkins with the Eagle Claw LC 413 hook recently. They have a sharp bend at the eye and I have been having very good luck with them. Hook rides up. I wonder how that would work for you. PM me you adress again and I will send you a few after the holidays. What size are you tieing these in?
Old 12-25-2002, 08:24 PM
President of CAC

Eddie,Thanks for the comments.....can you bring some to the show? the Crab is usuually tied with a #1 or #1/0...but those are Varivas with the wide gap..
Old 12-25-2002, 10:13 PM

I can see how a wide gap could be important if the fly is rigid. I'll bring some anyway.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:44 AM
_

Re: Blue Crab---#2

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
Capturing the true color of the blue crab is hard.
That's because they all look a little different! I used to go crabbing when I lived in Maryland and the carapaces of the crabs down there were more of a greenish/orangish/reddish color. Only the big claws (on males) and the swimmers were really blue in color. They also have quite a bit of "white" on the face, claws, legs and belly. Check out some of the online photos and you'll see how varied the coloration is.

BTW, I've tangled with a few angry blue crabs and I can't imagine how any fish would want to try to eat them! (but I guess they do!)

Q
Old 12-26-2002, 09:06 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Q..I suspect they are the same on the Cape...The little browns I have seen... but I will fool around with the colors on the blue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.