Not Stripers but........ - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2002, 09:14 AM

Not Stripers but........

Received a call from my uncle on 12/21 to do a little fishing. Well I decided that despite the bitter cold I would tag along and feed my ever growing need to bend the rod. We arrived at the resevoir and proceeded towards a sand point where to my amazement there were gulls diving and cartwheeling into the water 30 ft off the shore! What in the earth was feeding underneath the birds I asked? My uncle calmly answered... you'll see. I rigged my 11'6 noodle rod with a crocodile and let rip. No sooner did I get finished humming the chorus of Smoke on the Water ( was told to humm the chorus and start reeling at the count of 7 ) did I feel a hellacious jolt. My little Penn reel sang that old familiar song as my 6lb flouro leader strained under the pressure of 4 sizziling runs. Still unsure of what was on the end of the line I gently beached the beast. To my surprize a healthy 4lb german brown lay before me with its belly the color of a morning sunrise and spots the size of dimes!!! No sooner did I have the line back in the water I was in again.... this time the trout won the fight and made off with my spoon. Re-tied and 15 minutes later landed another this time the fish went 4.7 lbs. All in all I landed 7 fish and lost another 4 or 5. Since I rarely keep any fish and after checking the regulations at the fly shop I did keep both of the larger fish as per the request of the shop owner who asked if I would bring one for him for the grill. I kept the other so I could invite a new love interest over for a nice trout dinner. Ahhhhh yes this upcomming year is really shaping up nicely. Just a good day fishing you say? Maybe, but I think someone upstairs gave me an early Christmas present that will rival any gift that money could buy.

I would like to wish everyone on the forum a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and a big thank you for all the great flies and the informative reports you have all contributed.

Tight Lines.
Steelhead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2002, 02:46 PM

Steelheadmike, SOUND GOOD. I also need to feel the STEEL, will be haeding up after the holidays for a week end. an play in the river, see some OLD friends ,have a great holiday
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.