Winter Midging on Upper Yakima - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Recent Member

Winter Midging on Upper Yakima

Spent winter solstice stalking wild 'bows on Washington State's upper Yakima River. Water temp was 39 degrees, flows were steady at around 460 cfs, and there was roughly 7 feet of vis. After about an hour of observation, sighted two BIG noses taking single midge adults. (Didn't see any clusters.) Both trout were holding in the edgewater of a tailout. First trout took a #20 Griffith's Gnat (w/sparse grizzly hackle) on 6x, but uncorked after three violent head shakes. I misread the riseform on the second trout and put it down with an off-target cast.

Mark Pederson
Chief Guide & Instructor
The Dry Fly Angling Company
www.dryflyangling.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 03:29 PM

Mark, Nice to hear a fishy story this time of year. You may want to refrain from posting your business link. The board is supported by sponsors and it really isn't fair to them for someone like yourself to promote a shop or guide service a la frebie. I think it's in the terms and conditions of use but who reads those anyway. :hehe: I'd love to hear some more fish stories and the board can always use quality sponsors. I'm sure the management will chime in on this.

Good luck out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.