Supinski's book - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 11:00 PM

Never fished the dog in the mid 80s I was all tied up with 3 boys in baseball/football and international business travel. Glad I missed the drift boat parade on that creek. Don't even want to think about a jet sled on it. Poor waders, would have needed to increase my life insurance before fishing there.

I wonder what happened to Jed Davis, he must have gotten out of the fishing business ?

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 11:16 PM

I would like to comment more here but won't. I'll just say I'm surprised any serious steelheader would discover new information in the book. My positive comment: The book has many glossy color photos.

BTW, here's a pro's hint that Matt didn't publish: Use an ultra wide angle lens for all your photos and hold your fish out towards the camera. Makes all your fish look big to downright huge.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:42 PM

:hehe: I got a big kick out of Matt's creative photography too. My favorite part of the book was the fly plates in the back. My first GL Steel book is still my favorite. Linsenman and Nevala's Great Lakes Steelhead. Isn't there a book of GL patterns coming out soon by some guy from Indiana?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:09 AM

Yes Dustin Harley from South Bend - Ripple Guide Service has one in the works. I almost sent him so of my patterns last winter when he was soliciting input and then I thought why am I doing this, and did not.

Hows the new sculpin coming ?

Getting some new materials for christmas for you know which pattern we have been discussing off line.

Have a good holiday.

PM Out
Old 12-24-2002, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by West Mich

BTW, here's a pro's hint that Matt didn't publish: Use an ultra wide angle lens for all your photos and hold your fish out towards the camera. Makes all your fish look big to downright huge.
BTW, that's a nice 10" fish in your avatar.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
Yes Dustin Harley from South Bend - Ripple Guide Service has one in the works
PM Out
Had a trip with Dustin - he' a god guy and we had an excellent day. He however, was not having a good year, having broken about five rods and a motor. He told us to take a 4 wt. with us so we could play with the little guys if things were quiet. I had to move around in the boat at times, trading places with Dustin and on each occasion, I'd pick up my 4 wt. and move it with me. Didn't trust Dustin near it. :hehe: Told him why at the end of the day and he near bust a gut laughing.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:13 AM

Hal, Haven't worked on the sculpin again. I had a couple noble efforts, but, both protoypes had things go wrong when I fished them. It is too much time investment to have em fall apart on the 5th cast. Live and learn. . I have a feeling ole St Nick might bring me a few things to start wrapping my own sticks. I have wanted to do it for a while and now is the perfect winter for it. Not alot of fish so........ I had a cool little idea pop up the other night when tying "those" patterns we talked about. We should agree to come up with like 6 original patterns and swap em. Wadoyathink?

John

Have a holly-jolly......
Old 12-24-2002, 10:23 AM

Lipripper,

Hmm a michigan secret "original" steelhead fly swap. Sounds interesting. Lets discuss off line.

I built a couple of fly rods and believe it or not they are still together, amazing. Even after multiple encounters with the bg kings.

It is not hard get the book/ video and just take your time. Maybe I should do that for a new spey rod but a 13 footer has a whole lot of guides to wrap which takes most of the time.

Have a great holiday.

PM Out
Old 12-24-2002, 12:18 PM
removed_by_request

Hal,

The Dog was a sweet little hide away until he wrote that dam article. They ought to take away his jet sled for a year for that intelligent move.

Jed moved and decided to concentrate on fishing for big PNW bows and fishing the sound.

He used to write articles from time to time in STS. This business is like every other one, how many new wrinkles are there out there?

He hit it right with the spinner thing, which peaked and ebbed. Used to buy his parts until he had a one time going out of business sale, where he jacked up the prices 20%. Goota love capitalism.

As to MS I could not agree more; his tatics are no big thing if you have been chasing the silver ones for years. I also don't like that he guides on Trail and writes articles on it. Thats all that place needs is more fisherman.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:16 PM

Re: Supinski's book

Quote:
Originally posted by peter-s-c
Just treated myself to "Steelhead Dreams" ..

Would have been glad to lend it to you....

I've heard and read mixed reviews on Matt's book yet I've found the first quarter of the book that I've read so far to be packed with useable info. I'm a bit surprised why some people dump on this book. Maybe because it challenges some assumptions? [/QUOTE]

Even with my very limited knowldge of fly fishing,
I found his book interesting. My biggest problem with
it is understanding what he is trying to say in some
cases. Take a look at the spey casting section, try to
pretend you don't know anything about the casts, and
see if there is anywhere near enough information to
understand what they are, even the basic of them.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
MJYP

One other surprising book is Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout - Jed Davis. It has some excellent technical information on PNW and michigan steelhead behavior and how to fish them etc. Jed is a michigan native who I met accidentally in 1981 at the Deer Lick run, we fished together and he told me he was moving to Oregon in 91, so this was one of his last times fishing you know what river. Did not who he was until the book came out in 1985. Not sure what he is doing now he started a tackle company in Oregon.
Yes, that is a decent book, with some novel ideas. For some reason Jed D. reminded my of Jim Teeny. He was hard to talk to on the phone, tho, even when placing an order. Running a spinner/parts company didn't really fit his personality, I think. He ended up selling his spinner company to someone else who changed the name.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: Supinski's book

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Pavlov

Would have been glad to lend it to you....

Even with my very limited knowldge of fly fishing,
I found his book interesting. My biggest problem with
it is understanding what he is trying to say in some
cases. Take a look at the spey casting section, try to
pretend you don't know anything about the casts, and
see if there is anywhere near enough information to
understand what they are, even the basic of them.
I've about a third of the way in (been reading Skues lately). Just took a look at the spey section and it looks like he's just glossed over a bit Maxwell's .Art and Science of Speycasting book. It isn't the strength of the book.

Welcome to the spey clave, btw.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:49 AM
removed_by_request

Have to agree about Jed, the way he breaks down the presentation is akin to fly fishing.

Spinner fishing taught me the nuances of proper presentation which I applied to fly fishing.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:02 AM

My 20 years of catskill trout rivers nymph experience prepared me GL steelhead fly fishing techniques. Also fished a lot spinners on ulta light spinnning 2 lb test trout gear back east. What happened to that technique any body do it anymore. ?

PM Out
Old 01-02-2003, 02:45 PM
removed_by_request

Once you hang up the spinner gear its hard to bring it back.

Best way to fish NW Ind. creeks is with a spinner hands down. Too brushy and log strewn to fly fish properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.