Planted Steelhead missing in action... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2002, 10:06 AM

Planted Steelhead missing in action...

This is the subject of the outdoors coloumn in the Port Angeles local daily newspaper this morning.
I appears that in spite of some small pulses of success there appears to be a lackluster return of "Chambers Creek Clones" to the rivers and creeks on the OP.
Derrick Meneken the "Outdoor Writer" for the local daily quotes Mr. Bob Leland Manager of the WDFW State wide Steelhead Program "I cannot give you an answer as to why those fish aren't coming back right now."
Leland went on to talk about the emergency closures that have been put in place in the past to ensure egg take.
He further disscussed a possible scenario where the WDFW would look at wild numbers more closely in early 2003and possibly implement wild release where wild retention is allowed.
The owner of the Tackle store in Forks is quoted saying that where he usually sees 1,000 hatchery fish this year he has scene 100.
Life goes on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2002, 10:29 AM

Not much better in the Puget Sound area. Floated a nearby river yesterday and did not see a fish even the sleds and gear guys did not touch a fish from what we could gather.

Only thing we had in the river yesterday were falling trees. They were coming down at an alarming rate. Had one fall in front of us that was a cottonwood about 100 feet high. This tree did not just fall into the river but flew side ways and out about 20 to 30 feet from where it broke off its base before landing in the river. The splash it made looked like the splash of a full breeching Humpback Whale off the coast of Maui.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:18 PM

Hmmm....not sure whats going on up there but here in Oregon the hatchery run is in full swing. Talked to a guy who caught 4 on the Sandy on Wedneday. Also, I've heard reports that many of the northern Oregon coastal rivers are chock full of fish. This weekend shoule be great....I'd love to hit it but I'm heading back East for the holiday.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:01 PM

Ditto for the Rogue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cphatts
Hmmm....not sure whats going on up there but here in Oregon the hatchery run is in full swing. Talked to a guy who caught 4 on the Sandy on Wedneday. Also, I've heard reports that many of the northern Oregon coastal rivers are chock full of fish. This weekend shoule be great....I'd love to hit it but I'm heading back East for the holiday.
The rain we had over the past few days has sucked a ton of fresh fish into the lower/mid river. Will be awhile before they get up as far as Medford but understand the river below Grants Pass is chock-a-block with the Beasties already.
fae
Old 12-21-2002, 10:29 PM
Pullin' Thread

There is nothing in the Skagit system yet either. No one has been catching winter fish yet. It seems the hatchery fish have vanished or at least have decided not to return to the river yet. The coho stayed out in the bay until the rains in mid-November. Perhaps the hatchery winter runs will not move in until mid to late January and then do as the hatchery coho did, simply run right to the hatchery.

Glad to hear that WDFW is considering wild steelhead release on those rivers they now allow killing of them. Something good may come out of this year's strange hatchery winter run.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:11 AM

It's also slow in bc, both the stamp system and chilliwack/vedder are slower than normal for this time of year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.