The Hunt for Big fish - cited for abuse - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2000, 08:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Hunt for Big fish - cited for abuse

Hey did you hear that Larry Dahlberg got written up for abusing a native BC steelhead? He and his camera crew fought it three or four times on a C&R river to get the shots they wanted. Some of the hardcore sporting mags and websites are up in arms calling the official a nutcase, defending Dahlberg. I'll admit I've found LD entertaining at times but if he's so friggin hung up over shooting film he shouldn't be on a native BC C&R steelhead stream to do it. If so, he should settle for the shots he gets instead of keeping a trophy fish on the line four times longer than it needs to be. Larry - go to the Cowlitz, then eat the damn hatchery fish. Or do like us and catch three more for the film!

Kudos to the BC game official! In fact I am going to look him up and maybe we should send him some congratulatory emails. He has received a huge ration of crap from ESPN'ers and even the news media in BC. We should award him the Forum's Esteemed Steward of the Year award... (something I just made up!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2000, 11:04 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

RE:The Hunt for Big fish - cited for abuse

ABSOLUTELY! Dalhberg isn't alone - a lot of steelheaders have heard of Guide Bob Piggott fishing the FLY FISHING VIDEO MAGAZINE couple on the Sol Duc river for steelhead. When they couldn't get into fresh fish, the started targeting fish on their beds. Got a LOT of flak for that - so much so that Bob's disappeared from the town of Forks.

These Bozos need to be setting an example for the rest of the fly angling public! And the idea that Anything you do is Worth It to get good video doesn't stop with Dahlberg and Piggott. Check out some of the Bubbas posing for pictures with their guides. Fish is out of the water, being passed from Guide to Client, often for over a minute as they get the shots they want.

So I agree - give the game official an award. We need more like him!
Old 04-26-2000, 04:40 PM

I would guess the best way to curtail this activity is hit them where it hurts, the $$$. The question is how do it without creating an image of flyfisherman who fight fish to exhaustion? I would guess the majority of "professionally produced" videos impact individual fish in a negative manner and can teach poor CNR practices as well.

freak'n hillbillies
Old 04-26-2000, 04:54 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What kills me is that of all the reviews of this I bumped into over the web, we're the first to take a clear stand AGAINST the ESPN actor and his film crew. Fortunately, I know the fly angling community in the pacific northwest would almost unanimously oppose that kind of behavior.

<center>
<font size="1">Ed Ward and Andre work through a gorgeous Skagit RIver run</font><!--1--></center>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.