Michigan - Grayling - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2002, 09:17 AM
removed_by_request

Concentrate on big Steel, Tarpon will make you loose focus of the 20# goal. You'll be in Fla. in Feb. when that big dawg is waiting for you in a down stream lie on the PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2002, 04:22 PM

Gotta admit that I've gotten old enough so that the idea of looking for 20lb fish in Feb. in my shirtsleeves is a bit more enticeing to me than chasing after them bundled up in fleece! But I certainly put in my time over the years looking for the warmest socks, the perfect fingerless gloves and debated the relative merits of breathable versus neoprene waders for winter steelheading. Breathables won, by the way.

Don't know if you've gone salty at all, but these fish down here are incredibly strong. The one advantage is that unlike the PM or Big River there are no streamside snags or sweepers to foul a leader. Oyster bars can take a toll on your leaders and flats boots, however. And wading down here involves doing the "stingray shuffle" to avoid unpleasant encounters.

Are any of you planning to attend the fly show at the Southfield Civic Center March 8-9? It's entertaining and informative. If you haven't been there, it's worth a short "vacation" to check it out.

Tight Loops,
CapT
Old 12-29-2002, 04:56 PM

Tony

I agree on the breathables for winter steelheading, but then again I am a cold weather guy USAF cold weather flight line assignments, skiing, etc...

Hmm first week in March you could probably guess where I might be ? Chasing you know what through those log jams. :hehe: :hehe:

PM Out
Old 12-29-2002, 05:15 PM

No question that early March steelheading can be fantastic. It's probably my favorite time to chase them. A bit warmer than Feb. but a LOT less crowded than April. But, I've gotta be at the show. Might (cap letters MIGHT) have a day or so the previous week to run down to the PM. But I've already got some charters booked in Florida and can't spend too much time back in Michigan right then, and already have some business visits in the Petoskey area scheduled. Just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Tight Loops,
CapT
Old 12-29-2002, 06:00 PM
removed_by_request

Only one draw back to breathables versus neo, the boots are not as warm.

I know get a size boot bigger than your shoe size to enable the wearing of layered socks.

My shoe size is 14 eee not too many boots in size 15 out there. Let alone the wide size. So my feet feel the brunt of the cold while the rest of me is toasty.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:10 PM

My breathables were made in Canada. Wardell waders by Springbrook. Don't think there are any in the States now. They are breathable uppers with neoprene lower legs and feet, with rubber-like knee pads. The best of both wader worlds!

Bueter's Outdoors, a fly shop in metro Detroit, had 'em in inventory. Don't know if he still has any.

CapT
Old 12-29-2002, 07:31 PM

I have Wardell neopremes boot foot. Over ten years old had to fix a few leaks but they are a great product line at least in my experience. Don't see them sold much in the states.

Bought mine in Vancouver, BC, used as a back up now, they are little small on me, gained a little weight.

I like stocking foot for their better wading and walking stability on those trails and hills etc. I can live with cold feet, I am used to dealing with it.

PM Out
Old 12-29-2002, 08:41 PM
removed_by_request

Problem is once the feet get cold your body starts to feel cold. I can deal with it, it's just a pain in the rear. if only someone made a size 15eee wading boot. I would be warmer. I have Simms gore tex best thing going, and bare neo's.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:04 PM

My breathables have neoprene lower legs and feet, which makes them the best of both worlds.

John Bueter's Outdoors in metro Detroit had 'em. Don't know if there are any left.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:52 AM
removed_by_request

Tony,

I read what you first posted, the issue I have is getting boots bit enough to fit 14eee feet. Small boots restrict the circulation of air around the feet. I like my Simms would not trade them for anything, except the new model Simms has coming out.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:53 PM

I can see where 14eee would pose a bit of a problem! Wish I had a suggestion for you, but I'm sure you know WAY more about footwear outlets than I ever will.

Fished in Sarasota Bay today and could have used waders. Water was very chilly, all things considered. Probably why we didn't catch anything to speak of. Oh, well. It's supposed to be 80 tomorrow--maybe I'll take the boat out and see what we can find.

CapT
Old 12-31-2002, 10:27 AM
removed_by_request

It kind of stinks, all the wader manfactureres make big boy size waders they fit fine. But they forgot about our feet, been toying with the idea for a while of a line of oversized wading shoes. I wonder if there is a serious market for them?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:33 PM

In this day and age, I'm positive there's a market for 14, 15, even size 16 wading boots. Getting a mfg. to produce them is another story. It's called "market share" and most people are in the "market" for size 10 through 12. Maybe you could start a class action suit claiming discrimination. I mean, what the hell, everybody else does!!

About the only other thing you can do, I guess, is go to a store that sells basketball shoes to kids. Gotta believe they've got xxxl sizes. Not much protection against rocks, but at least they'd fit.

CapT
Old 12-31-2002, 01:37 PM

I'm a size 10 -10.5 regular shoe/sneaker and size 11 for wader shoes. Makes a big difference getting the larger size to give your feet more breathability. My old wading shoes were a 10 or 10.5 and my feet got much colder quicker. Now I am a nice an toasty.

MJYP looks like you will have to get out of the water more and warm the toes up while I stay in there and get more drifts.

Anybody try those hand/foot 8 hour warmers on tope of their their wading socks ? I bought a few and will try them next time out.

Pm Out
Old 12-31-2002, 03:33 PM

Heated socks

Tried a pair of electrically (battery) heated socks when they first came out. Problem was, they had NO HEAT FOR THE HEELS!) Design flaw, I guess - I did cuss 'em out for quite a while!

Next came a pair of the "chemicals" that worked pretty well. Problem was that when they started to cool down, feet realy got cold in a hurry.

Now I have tried a pair of nice ones - too nice, in fact - my feet really sweat in 'em. Nuts! Can't win.

So, rather than being a tester for warm socks, I decided to use the "old way" - wear a pair of wool 'stretchables" by Simms next to my feet, and a pair of heavy wool outside. Plus a pair of wading shoes or waders one size above normal for me.

Not necessarily the best for everyone, but works for me (I was a young Marine in the "Frozen Chosen" when temps ran down to -60 degrees F.! Don't lube anything, and "wear" your food and drink next to your body!)

BobK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.