Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly line recommendation

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Paxton 
#1 ·
Just received some good news from my daughter who lives in California and who is an avid fly thrower.She just notified us that she will be returning to Mass. for about a month next June for an extended vacation :D
Although she has fished NZ , Calif.and Montana for trout :eek: , she has never saltwater or fished for stripers. I believe that my countless stories of Monomoy and South Beach have finally resulted in her eagerness to join her dad on the flats...praise the Lord :) !!!!!!
Obviously, being the soft touch that I am, she is receiving a 9wt rod and reel for Xmass.
Would appreciate your expert opinions on intermediate line recommendations (brand etc.) I've been using Orvis' Wonderline (intermediate)....have been satisfied but given that it was my first line, I have nothing to compare it's performance to.
Your input will be appreciated!

#2 ·
SA Mastery Series Striper Line..

In the past, I've enjoyed and done well with AirFlo 7000 TS Series.
This past season Scott (at BearsDen) had some good things to say about the new Scientific Angler Mastery Series "Striped Bass" (surf colour)...I spooled up a 9 wt and beat on it all summer and it performed very well.
Very durable coating...Handles/casts well, turns over my large flys, and doesn't turn into a ball of linguini when a determined Albie throws a no-notice line management pop quiz.
I do alot of flatzz walkin' and the stripping basket can create challenging line situations when the coiled line settles in on itself...NO problems with this SA Striper Line! (knockonwood) :cool:

#3 ·
You're a lucky dad indeed! Maybe we can hook up when she's out this way. I'm happy just coming along to take photos of this special event.

I like the 444 clear intermediate and the Rio quickshooter clear tip floater for my standard lines, also carry the sinking line for deep rips and surfside work.

#4 ·
Since there's a million lines I'm sure you could get a million answers.

BUT, as a die-hard Cortland user I threw a floating Orvis wonderline this spring and was blown away by how slick it seemed. Of course that was lawn casting a new line but I had a chance to use a friends "used" Wonderline a few times this season and was very impressed.

I'd suggest you stay with what you know and are comfortable with.

Good luck!!

#5 ·
I tried a Cortland 555 little tunny Intermediate this year and it seemed absolutely great for about 6 weeks (actually caught some LT's) then it got a little "rough". Met someone at the Den that said his was peeling. Might stay away from that one there may be some "bugs" in it. I went to a 444 with an integral clear intermediate tip and that has held up fine. I am thinking off trying a quickshooter for the flats next year because of the shorter head. I think the Triangle Taper lines are short head also.

#6 ·
Thanks guys...appreciate the advice. So far it looks like 444 or S.A.. I do like the Wonderline I have, but as last year was my rookie season, I didn't know if there was anything better out there. I will definetly ax off the "Little Tunny"Line ! So much for truth in advertizing.
Juro....your company would be appreciated. Once I know her arrival and stay times, I'll let you know. I'm biased, but she can really throw a fly line :eyecrazy: She got hooked on fly fishing out west about 4 yrs. ago and has become obsessed :) I am a lucky dad, she has been my fishing partner for yrs until relocating in La-La land. Let's hope the striper Gods lure her to return to New England !

#11 ·
Thanks gentlemen for narrowing down the choices. Looks like I can't go wrong with 444 or S.A.. Hope all of you have a great holiday season and Santa fills your chest packs with all the goodies that you wanted to buy, but said..."I really have enough...don't I?"
Heading down to Sanibel Florida in a few weeks for a bit. Took my 9wt with me last year to no avail...tackle shops said.....bite off....water too cold....it was 68 degrees!!!! How can water be too cold when I'm wading in it with shorts on?? Those fish should try the "tub" in late May!!!!

#13 ·
Last year there were reports of snook and a few redfish. Boaters took them primarily. The key is finding moving water and inlets...sad to say, every likely place I found had a million dollar condo on it with no trespassing /private beach/no parking signs. There is a huge flat on the south side of the Sanibel causeway....saw some fly guys way out.....about 500 yards from shore near rip/bar taking snook.They were up to their armpits(not for me). Not knowing the area I didn't dare to venture out that far.....the water has the clarity of wash water (silty) which makes wading in an unknown area adventuresome to say the least....clarity is about 2 feet at best. This year I plan on going there when the tide is out to check for drop offs etc. Will also try the Sanibel lighthouse area at dusk (heavy boat traffic during day)....deep water off point and also the passes between a series of 3 small islands (bridged) near Ft. Myers Beach. This area supposedly has trout and snook and is a public area. As usual, I found out about this place 2 days before we were to leave last year. One thing I found in common between Chatham and Sanibel, when I spoke with fishmen was.... "you should have been here yesterday" ....Hopefully this year I will have a "yesterday" day, on a today . Will let you know how I do........at minimum I'll get some casting practice which is superior to the snow shoveling practice I've had the last month.
Oh....gotta share this....last year I fished Dingdarling Wildlife Reserve for a couple of hours on Sanibal Island....saw a lot of fish when out wading......and 5 guys fishing from shore....when I came in because it was getting dark.....one of the guys said...."aren't you afraid of the gators?" My wife was very impressed and we had one of "those" conversations riding back to the condo. No matter how exasperating we can have it here on some days...at least we are not THE choice of food for what is in the water!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.