New Fly- Feather Brain - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2002, 09:32 PM
President of CAC

New Fly- Feather Brain

This is a fly that I have been thinking about for a while... I have been thinking about the fact that I want the fly head to be more realistic and didn't like the fact that you always see the wraps at the end of the eye hook. Also why have the bodies of Deceivers always have bucktail showing .. The shapes were a things with me... so I decided on this way of tying...This fly is done in three basic stages.. First I tye in a clump of bucktail at the end of the hook at the bend and cover with pearl flash... 360 degrees around... then move to the middle of the shank and tye in a larger clump of bucktail,white and cover that with pearl flashabou.. then two white hackles on each side one at the top of the tie and the other at the bottom..on both sides. Then move to the front of the fly and tye in a corsair spreader. I want the feathers to go right up to the hook eye without any evidence of wrap so I put a small amout of goop and glue in three white hackles on each side of the spreader, one at the bottom on the tye and one at the middle and one at the top... I want the whole exterior of the fly to be saddle hackles while the bucktail inside gives the fly bulk... then I glue in one blue grizzly hackle on both sides at the top.... The hackes fit nicely over the spreader and I then put on a very light coating of epoxy to set the shape and am careful not to foul up the head feathers... after that sets I place on the eyes and put the final coat of epoxy..... This is a surprisingly light weight fly since the epoxy is only on the spreader and not though to the shank.... I will weight these as I tye more and hope to field test these as soon as possible... It is basically tyed with the same concept at the crab and flounder.... I want the head to look real and I think a total hackle outer body gives a better profile and "bullet" fish shape... what do you think?... I named it feather brain because of the predominance of feathers for the head.. I am thinking of Feather brain surf candies right now which will be my selection in the swap. I will use a bigger hook next time since I don't like the hook gap... but started with the wrong hook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01237.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	1111  

Last edited by striblue; 12-13-2002 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 10:14 PM

Very good looking! Keep it coming...
Old 12-14-2002, 03:12 AM
CantAnchorUs

Now that`s gorgeous! John you should put all these together in a book, you could give Pop a run for most innovative tier. Amazing, just amazing. If I were a better tier I`d have dozens of them, in four sizes.
Slinger
Old 12-14-2002, 10:44 AM
President of CAC

Thanks Steve...I am awaiting reactions from Cris Windram and Bob Veverka on this one, as they have had positive comments on my other two flies... I am also going to be contact a name at Umpqua that Chris gave me next week.... I am not done ...the surf candy and sand eel are percolating in my feather brain right now. I still need to perfect this deceiver as this was my second attempt...the first I had to tear up as head did not come out as I planned plus the hook is wrong on this one..gap too close...but I had started out with the wrong hook. I am done coping other flies and time to think things though!
Old 12-14-2002, 10:57 AM

Beautiful John!

I found when I was tying big flies that I had a problem with the "belly" of the fly decreasing the space in the hook gap, I'm sure with your talents and the gaps available in Varivas type hooks you won't have a problem.

Hard to believe this only your second season.
Old 12-14-2002, 11:32 AM

Your kidding this is only Johns second season of tying ?

Very impressive John.

I have been tying 21 years now. I started with the standard published trout, steelhead, salmon patterns but the real challenge and thrill is designing your own flys and then catching fish on them. That adds a whole other dimension to the sport.

Congratulations John you are going to be one heck of a fly tyer.

Hal
Old 12-14-2002, 11:51 AM
BB5 Survivor

John,

an interesting idea.

If the materials are soft and NOT epoxyied by the gap, I wouldn't
be overly concerned....they should simply compress against the shank, clearing the gap for you when a fish chomps down.

--j
Old 12-15-2002, 11:06 AM

John, John Rezinetch(msp), the SofTex guy, ties a series called the "AirHead". They are pretty cool looking.
You might want to try SofTex or "Devil's Sauce" or some other shoe goo toulene mix, to create a softer head that might deform when a fish strikes. Maybe silicone?
Old 12-15-2002, 11:48 AM
President of CAC

Eddie, thanks.. I was thinking of that...but I did not want to copy anyone..as best I could.. the epoxy is more durable and clearer after I coat it with hard as nails..these flies are weighted at the front under the shank so they swim normal. The real change is the hackles on the outside...will not foul as the hackles move back and forth, not up or down..also I am looking for a fly that has action but does not change it's shape inbetween strips...like most Deceivers do with bucktail on the outside.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:07 PM

I don't think that you have worry about "copying" anyone. Refinements and adaptations are what make a fly good. Maybe the soft stuff won't work, but it is very durrable. Too bad this one came up in the Fall. It would be nice to show this fly to some fish!
Old 12-15-2002, 02:57 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...a FAST study!...

NICE ONE Johnny Scissorhanz!
Everyone should be made aware that the CAC Meister's tying experience is like "dog years"...one year for the Right Honourable Mayor is like seven to us mere mortals!
He hardly ever sleeps...'has the energy of a teenager and the metabolism of a humming bird!
Trying to keep up with him at the tyeing table is like trying to keep up with him on South Beach!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chathammayor.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	1123  
Old 12-15-2002, 04:44 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by striblue
The real change is the hackles on the outside...will not foul as the hackles move back and forth, not up or down..
Looks awesome John! I wondered about the hackles fouling (no pun intended). I know my deceiver hackles are always wrapping around the hook bend. Maybe the extra hackles on your fly will help keep everything in place? My lack of casting ability may contribute to my fouling problems. Sometimes when I tie a knot in mid-air it moves down the leader and tightens around the fly . I'm guessing that in some cases the knot makes it past the fly but fouls things up in the process.

Q
Old 12-15-2002, 05:17 PM
President of CAC

We will see when I test it but the epoxy will lock it in...Also..the Hackles seem to move left to right not up or down and most are tied high on the hook... the stong part of the hackles are in the epoxy...this happend by locking in with epoxy and not just tieing down with a little epoxy..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.