Monomoy--All Nighter--7/7 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2001, 01:20 PM
President of CAC

Monomoy--All Nighter--7/7

Well, with high expectations I met Hawkeye at the Barn Hill Road ramp at 11:30 PM last night and we headed straight out to anchor the boat at the Powder Hole and Fish the South Monomoy Rips from shore on an outgoing. Thinking 2:30 AM would be perfect and with calm seas and a partial full moon we we looking forward to it. As we left stage harbor the wind seemed to pick up and by the time we got past the Crib we were in windy 3 foot swells in a small boat. I looked at Hawkeye and he looked at me and we both concluded that the trip would have to be North Monomoy and South Beach. 2 hours from departure with our return trip tougher than our out going we set up drift between North Monomoy and SB. Nothing. Tide starting to move out and everything is text book. Fished everywhere and I picked up one fish at the north corner of North Monomoy. Seal everywhere. By day break we were drifting what looked like perfect conditions with birds working everywhere in the Crib..... Nothing... incredible..So back we go and I get droped of at 6:30 am while Hawkeye will wait for his brother Mike for a third trip out. He had started out before my trip with him about 5 pm that previous day and reported huge fish in the Crib that would not bite. I even used my Yak hair black clouser with purple comes alive... with a rattle in it. I want to thank Hawkeye for an enjoyable evening and good company. The conditions felt like late September with us wareing polar tec and rain gear to keep warm. We have planned to try again for South Monomoy at night to fish those rips from shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2001, 09:57 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like a hard core outing! A whole other side of things that the shuttle crowd never sees.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:44 AM

John you are a true Iron Man. Must of been awesome without all the people around.
FishHawk
Old 07-09-2001, 08:21 AM

What a night!

The attempt on the tip probably should have ended sooner than it did but desire and perhaps a bit of bravado kept common sense at bay. Luckilly common sense won out and we headed in which, as John mentioned, was worse than heading out.

On the inside we were greeted by a lot of seals and no fish. John got one bump and near first light one fish. A lot of effort for one fish but that's what the sport is all about - putting out the effort and taking away a lesson or two for the next time.

Prior to the all nighter I did fairly well on the south end of Monomoy with fish in the 25 -27" class once I figured out that despite the extreme shallow water I should be using a sink tip due to the current. I had one bass make two two foot salmon like leaps when I pinned him - it was awesome!

Gregg
Old 07-09-2001, 08:36 AM

Hawkeye -

When you went to the sinktip was that during the dropping tide current? I found the same thing. The flood was another story though, and although it's more work each could be done with intermediate given the setup put the fly at the right level IMHO.

Also, I also meant to mention that I had a striper do a salmon leap recently - first time ever for me. I hope they breed
Old 07-09-2001, 10:24 AM

I was getting the occasional fish using the intermediate and I didn't switch to the sink tip until the rising. The current was really moving and when I switched to the sink tip my hit to cast ratio went up dramatically. I'm sure the intermediate could get in the zone but it was much easier to get it there and keep it there with the sink tip.

I forgot to mention the fly - 6" jelly belly.

Gregg
Old 07-09-2001, 01:15 PM

Thanks Hawkeye.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.