GL Steelhead Nomads/Junkies - Page 3 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2002, 06:32 PM

I think detroiters head to Ontario tribs and Ohio.

Like my xmas avatar ?

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2002, 09:12 PM
removed_by_request

If he heads that way he would not be able to utilize our vast knowledge of streams we fish. Plus we would miss a chance to fish with him.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:42 PM

Notice that ever since Lipripper put up that picture of the wild PM 16 lb buck last week we have been getting more interest in GLs steelheading by our PNW colleagues ?

Wait until I get my hands on him.

Theres no way I am putting up Big Daves 18 lb lake run brown and 17 LB steelie pictures which I have and salivate however every once in a while.

PM Out
Old 12-22-2002, 10:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dansteelieman
not me...

I live about 30 miles north of Detroit and I find solitude on a few of the local streams. I do ok, and when the fish are in I do awesome if I make it out enough. Last year I had a buddy hook a fish about 16-18lbs....but it smoked him and after a few jumps and runs....it was gone. Some streams are overlooked, but that is fine. I always go to the surf that is about 45 minutes away, and do alright there.

Big City expirence with fishing as well!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:08 PM
removed_by_request

I don't think we have to worry, it may pay off if they do.

I would gladly trade them a week here for a week out there. It would be interesting to watch them spey cast the Mo' or Man. Even bring em to the PM for some combat fishing.

I imagine they could shed some pointers on the fine art of spey casting. Every time I see a good caster I pick up a tidbit to add to my arsenal. Plus seeing Fred fish the Mo' with that18' stick would be great. That stick would work great there. Tons of room and fish.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:51 AM

Oops!

Sorry Hal. Maybe I should go down to 6th street and take a few shots of our "scenic" rivers to post.:hehe: :eyecrazy: I got a christmas card with the same pic as your avatar.
Steelieonfly-I just had a buddy from Montana come out to fish for a week. He managed to pick the worst fall in 30 years to make the trek. He had fun though. I think if I were to advise someone on making a venture this way it would be for the spring run....for sure....and be prepared for traffic. I swear guys will just go out to stand there for days until the fish show up. Gotta love our "local" mentality sometimes. My favorite move is: Hook a fish, swim it down around the bend, come back up and BLAM....some dude camped in the spot you just hooked a fish...casting away. Yeah, we've got some world class knuckleheads here. Hey, at least we got some rain....finally.

LR
Old 12-23-2002, 06:57 AM
removed_by_request

Good thing about most knuckleheads is that they mostly fish when the runs are on. That leaves a big window for the true die hards. Plus we need to laugh at something.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:31 AM

Lipripper

Yeah good idea lets get some pictures of 6th street, Childsdale, Tippy, Croton, and Berrien Springs posted when the runs are on. I will work on Berrien Springs. I have some now but none with a big crowd.

I know all about the scenario you described, there are real knuckleheads out there at times. Thats why I am usually not around during the peaks of the runs on the publicised rivers.

PM Out
Old 12-24-2002, 01:23 PM
removed_by_request

I got some Tippy and 6th stret pics at the height of the run. Tippy was taken from a boat so it is a different look.

My founest 6th st. memory is watching some hag change her kids diaper and then tossing the bloody thing right next to the 10 others on the ground.

Also have some pics of Dean Mitchell at the height of the spring run. Lovely site cement factory spewing plumes in the air while yellow poled slack jawed cousin lovers pegged coho after coho.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:30 PM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
Hummmmm Sping?

Well, don't know how the funds will work out, but if I convince my wife she needs to visit the grandkids, and we can get some good tickets. I definitely will be out that way. Now as to the spey casting. Well lets just say my 14' rod will cast them, but my double spey is the pits and my single is ok... Snake roll has a lot to be desired... But spring sounds good. I have to split this one between the Washington area and GL.... Tough decisions.... Hell what am I dreaming about. My wife will probably call the shot anyway? I will keep you posted as to when I can make it though!
Utah Chapter 681
Old 12-27-2002, 07:10 PM
removed_by_request

Get a hold of me prior to your heading out here, I am sure we can hook (pun intended) up.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:37 AM

Steeliesonfly,

Our spring season goes from March through June.

If you know where to fish.

Let us know if your heading out to GL country.

PM Out
Old 12-28-2002, 10:40 PM
President Weber T/U 681

Send a message via AIM to steeliesonafly
Thumbs up Thanks in advance!

Thanks to all of you in advance. Kids are moving out that way in January, and I suspect that wife will want to get out there some time soon. I will try to coach her into a spring vacation up there! Might work, since she never reads my mail anyway! Keep me post you guys! More stories the better.......
Utah Chapter 681
Old 12-29-2002, 10:19 AM
removed_by_request

April on the Mo' is a sure bet. Beg her sometimes that works.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:37 PM

Well this thread has been up since December 11th and no Gls steelhead nomads/junkies have emerged yet.

You would think with the down economy there may be one or two out there but I guess not.

Perhaps a young lad who comes from wealthy family, but I guess they would be playing video games,watching reality tv shows, or chasing ladies at South Beach or on the Riveria, etc....

I guess we will have to wait for one of us to hit the Lotto and be able to go full time GLs steelhead fly fishing and qualify perhaps

PM Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.