Anyone a member of RFA? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Fly chucker

Anyone a member of RFA?

Is anyone here a member of the Recreational Fishing Alliance?

If so, what are your thoughts on the organization? I've seen some of their newsletters so I have a general idea what they're about, but if anybody has any insight I'd love to hear it.

I'm not looking to join.....I'm just curious about their mission and reputation.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2002, 04:55 PM

Dble Haul, I'm not a member, but I know the RFA angered a lot of guys this fall when they came out in favor of maintaining the status quo with Ammendment 6. Their basic position seemed to be that things weren't so bad, and that the average joe wanted to be able to keep fish, so they wouldn't support lowering target F.

There was a lot of discussion on the board at www.stripersonline.com about it around the time of the public ASMFC meetings, and it seemed to me like the RFA may have been a little underhanded in how they went about things.

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2003, 06:00 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

I'm an RFA member.

I have been an RFA memeber for a couple of years. I think there mission is to provide a voice for recreational fisherman. Although they don't strike me as particularly conservation minded to the same degree as CCA.
They do make an effort to correct inequities within fisheries management as they see it. I have found some of their research and conclusions lacking, however to their credit I have read some excellent rebuttals to some of their positions in their own newsletter from the fisheries folks for example.

Like any political organization their position on some issues doesn't always match ones ideals, perhaps due in part to bad data and misinformation or a difference in opinion. Anyone can come to the wrong conclusions with incomplete and/or erroneous data.

They tackle issues involving offshore species and international regulations as well as coastal ones within the US.

I am glad to be informed about the issues you would never hear about otherwise and it is a group that for the most part shares our concern toward recreational fishing interests.

Happy Holidays,
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.