Favorite Great Lakes Steelhead Flys - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2002, 03:36 PM

OK, I remember now forgive me that was 32 years ago.

Your memory fades when you get my age (55) imagine it at Freds age though (60).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2002, 09:43 PM

Nbrandon

Looks like you are the only spey/hair wing ONLY wet fly steelheader amongst us ?

Been tempted to go fully that way but to be honest I have not been as successful as when using nymphs and egg flys. I use them but only at certain times and situations.

You ought to try my PM Interceptor which was in another fly swap earlier this year. The tying instructions and picture are on the forumn in another thread. I fish it from size 4 down to size 8. Have taken browns, steelies, and kings on it.

Put the name in the search engine and you should be able to find it. If not send me a PM and I will send the tie to you.

PM Out
Old 12-12-2002, 09:46 AM

Thumbs up

Hal,
I was diggin through old tapes last night and I may have come up with a copy of that show! It is labeled "Filmore-Allmans/Dead" I am trying to find a set list online to campare it with. It sounds pretty old and not great quality, but, if it is one in the same I'll send you over a copy to listen too. Maybe you can make out your voice in the crowd noise!:hehe:
Also, after I do some tweaking this weekend I may have a new sculpin pattern for you. I won't reveal til I get a chance to field test it.

John
Old 12-12-2002, 10:29 AM

Lipripper,

Cool you really may have it? Is that the only show they did together ? Did not know I may have been part of history that snowy night in 1970 - Greenwich Village, NYC - Filmore East. Have to tell my brother who is the rock musician, plays in small bands now once in a while. Very good bass player and singer sounds like Paul McCartney sings all of his songs. Went to a few studio recording sessions in NY but the bands he was with it never made it. Played NY area night clubs for years.

New Sculpin pattern, hey maybe a trad for my new egg and shrimp pattern is in order.

Hows the wire prototypes coming ?

PM Out
Old 12-14-2002, 08:38 AM
removed_by_request

Any of you guys try tubes?

tie the same pattern on a tube either plastic or metal. What you get is a fly with a 360d view. Brass tubes are pretty neat, you eliminate the need for those nasty sink tips.

Check out Flydishusa.com for parts and pieces. Just remembr to scale down. You can tie nymphs, sculpins,buggers, on them. Your only limit is your imagination.

The original Allaman Bros. Band was probably the best rock band to come out of the 70's. Once Duane died that was it for them. Also Jim H. was not too shappy.

They have a new Cd and DVD out with his Isle of Wright concert. Bought both, some real top notch stuff.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:32 AM

I got the materials to make my own metal tubes but the amount of work seems to high at least for me withmy limited time, due to work, family, etc... Have some metal tubes from one of our PNW forumn members which will be dredged soon on GL rivers.

Will check it out anything to get deeper and make fly tying faster.

Thanks

PM Out

P.S. Will check out All man Brothers music, checked out their web site could not believe the detail history they have on shows starting in 1969. They have the shows I went to in 1970 at the Filmore east.

There only 2003 concert is at the Beacon Theatre in NY for a week in March. Probably sold out already.
Old 12-14-2002, 12:27 PM
removed_by_request

The new Almans are not the same, get the Live at filmore east double cd and you will see what I mean.

As to tying tubes, I can kick out a good fly in 5-6 minutes, try it you will be amazed.

Get the tool that Mark B sells flyfishusa.com its only $19 and well worth it.
Old 12-14-2002, 01:14 PM

OK, anything to make the tying process faster. Thanks !!

PM Out
Old 12-14-2002, 02:09 PM
removed_by_request

its money well spent. Get some 1/2 brass tubes and have a go.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Hey MJYP,

Holding out on listing your favorite GL patterns from us I see. We will have to go fishing so I can sneak a look into your fly boxes.

PM Out
Old 12-16-2002, 10:39 AM
removed_by_request

The fish usually tell me what the like. Most of my fish have been on a simple caddis pattern tied from a single marabou feather. Go figure. I like speys on tubes they are pretty neat, but if the fish don't like em all I am doing is washing hooks.

I'll give you colors, purple, black, tan, pink, and green. Never all at once, imagine that fly if you would.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:18 AM

Yep those are about the standard colors except I would add "creme". Green I assume is "fluor green" and "olive" ?

I wonder if I could make up a fly which contains all of those colors ? Have to think about it further.

PM Out
Old 12-16-2002, 11:50 AM
removed_by_request

Forgot about creme, the green is olive and a flor type. Both work like magic.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Nope creme nymph bodiies are good to go, believe me.

PM Out
Old 12-16-2002, 07:42 PM
removed_by_request

I have used them and they work, just give me a purple or green and i am good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.