Storing Gear for Winter - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 04:44 PM
LT 20

Storing Gear for Winter

What methods do people take for storing their gear for Winter?Do they do anything special with their reels, lines, and rods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 04:52 PM

2 cents only.

If your not going to be using a fly line for a long period of time, clean it and store it off the reel (orig. spool it came on is good). Reels, clean the inside, very light touch of oil or grease, back off the drag to zero! and your done.

Rod back in tube for protection.
fae

An added "I guess," as I do almost zip salt water fishing. Rember way back and when, I'd scrub reels used in salt water (inside and out) with touch of liquid soap, hot water and a tooth brush to get all the nasties out of the working parts. Then the light touch of oil, etc.

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-09-2002 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Bass Assassin

If the cork is dirty, clean it with an old toothbrush and toothpaste.

Neil
Old 12-09-2002, 05:31 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Overhaul saltwater reels completely, re-lube and oil (accordingly). Remove all reels from rod seats. Bring in all waders, inflatables, or other items that are affected by freezing temperatures from the garage. If you have mice that come in from the permafrost in winter, you should have anything that can be chewed into bedding brought in too.

I store all my lines on spools, whether store spools or spare reel spools. It would be better to put them on a bigger spool though for sure. I know guys who unwind them into big loops for the winter. The cake goes to some flyfishing firemen I knew who used the drying tower at the station to straighten their lines for storage!

I use a lot of energy bars and other perishables during the season, this is a good time to dig them out of the pockets and chestpacks before they evolve into new life forms.

I miss the warm west coast winters! Never did any of this stuff because the gear was used year-round.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:55 PM

Never put any gear away for the winter since moving to great lakes country, its 7x24 here if you like cold weather. Many great steelhead and trout rivers are open all year except for nursery head waters.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:24 PM
President of CAC

Craig..I clean down my rods with mild detergent, dry and put on some 333.... then I clean my lines with mild soap and water then run the lines thought a conventional line cleaner..... Take the reel apart and clean and relub...just wiping the old oil off and apply new oil, either the Abel lubricant or the penn lub...then re lube the coak drags with neetsfoot oil. MOST IMPORTANT. the corks that is... then I rub down the cork Handles with rubbing alcohol...cleans them up like new but will not wear them down or rough them up... Obviously this is not done in one day..I spead it out.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:57 AM
BB5 Survivor

A number of points have already been raised, but I would add
the following:

back off the drags all the way

take stock of fly patterns and start re-stocking
(same for leaders/tippets)

clean and lube zippers on your vest/chest pack/fanny pack/etc. of choice

order any parts/items/tying materials you want NOW

complete log for this season

downloads next year(s) tides
(when the doldrums set in, start planning when and where for next season based on same)

run checklist for boat (that's a whole other can of worms)

general closure on the season just ended and make plans for the forthcoming one

-j
Old 12-10-2002, 03:58 PM
LT 20

Good points made by all, thanks guys!
Old 12-16-2002, 07:48 AM

Smile My Semi-annual Maintenance Program

Since I fish Lake Ontario tribs, fishing is a year round experience.
So, I give my trout rods and gear a cleaning in the fall when I put 'em away, and my steelhead gear a maintenance in the spring.

Rods - a quick washing with clean water, dry with paper towels, and a waxing and polish with paste wax, followed by paraffin on the ferrules. Check all guides for any chips, snags, etc. and replace as necessary. Cork is cleaned by mixing a little baking soda with water to make a paste, and applying, polishing, and rinse and dry. Store them in rod case.

Lines - remove from reel, wash in mild detergent, and dry. Coil loosely (empty 3-pound coffee cans marked with line brand, weight and type, nailed to the joists in my basement works perfect for storage!) I then dress the lines when I put them back on the reels.

Reels - clean and relube as described in previous posts.

Old leaders - dispose of the used ones, retie a supply for next season, make sure of inventory of tippet material.

Vest - clean the darned thing out and reorganize - maybe even - dare I say - wash it! Recheck inventory, and replace any items that need it. A good time to also "cut back" on all of the junk we end up carrying! (I know this is heresy!)

Flies and fly boxes - sort out, get rid of old beat-up or rusty ones, keep an inventory of what must be replaced by tying during the off-season.

Waders and brogans (wading shoes) - wash well, make sure they are clean and dry inside and out, try to hang up waders in a cool, dry place (again, my end of the basement, from the joists).

Nets - spend a few minutes cleaning, rinsing, and making sure there are no holes or rips in the bag. Time to replace the bag? It might be - and, depending on the net, it may be an inexpensive option, and a quick project.

Whew - I think that's it. Part of the joy of being retired - I now have time to properly do these things.

BobK
Old 12-16-2002, 09:24 AM

Bobk,

Hows the new Redington reel, did you get my private message?

Supervisor (aka Pmflyfisher)

PM Out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.