Greater Midwest Fly Show - Chicago - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2002, 12:53 PM

Do you want to drink out of my steelheader flask which has had courvesier in it for 15 years now ? I am afraid to any more but I still have it. Don't think my heart could take it like it did 15 years ago on cold michigan winter mornings.

PM Out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2002, 01:09 PM

I never developed a taste for the hard stuff, but I do like an ale or two every now and then. My favorites are Geary's Ale out of Portland, ME, the India Pale Ale brewed and served at RAM in Shaumberg and Wheeling, IL, and Guiness Stout.

While I never drank very many at a sitting, now that I am watching my waistline, one or two in a day, once or twice a week, is about my maximum rate of consumption. On a fishing trip, of course, where I would be getting much more strenuous exercise than is my norm, I am sure I would imbibe more often. (You really burn up the calories chasing Atlantic Salmon. I have yet to fish for or catch a steelhead, so I can't compare the "burn rate".)
Old 12-16-2002, 04:48 PM

Aaah the RAM in Schaumburg I can see it from my office window now.

Steelheading has a high calorie burn rate. Especially after you hook one, watch your backing speed away and start chasing them through deep bend pools and log jams, etc....

PM Out
Old 12-16-2002, 07:36 PM
removed_by_request

If you like stouts, Bells from Michigan makes two both so thick you could float a bottle on it. Also Mad river brewing co. in Ca. makes a Steelhead Stout that is really nice.
New Glarus brewing co also makes some tasty brews.

A good day of steel fishing equals 6 frosty treats and a dram of nectar to ease the aches
Old 12-27-2002, 10:33 AM

No schedule of speakers or events yet, what are they waiting for it is only two weeks away.

MS will be there want to hear his session for sure, right now have Sunday penciled in but if he speaks on Saturday will have to go then.

Several forumn sponsors will be there Rio, Ross, T+T, etc., check it out on the web link above.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 11:04 AM
removed_by_request

MS has been there the last couple of years, both days.

I am pretty sure he spoke on both of them also, never attended so I can't say for sure.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:12 AM

Check out his web site he has updated it with his opinion on our current runs. Sounds plausible.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 11:17 AM
removed_by_request

Not a big MS fan, having him roar by in his jet boat and swamp you tends to do that.

Sorry
Old 12-27-2002, 11:59 AM

Never experienced that. But I understand, did he beat you to favored pool/run ?

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 12:40 PM
removed_by_request

No we beat him, got here at 4am he didn't like bankies fishing his river.

So he motored around from bank to bank stirring up the river and making hellish wakes. Poor bastard didn't realize he pushed a mother lode pod of steel into a pool 30' off shore.

We sore mouthed them for hours after he finally realized we were not going to give up his spot.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:34 PM

LOL,

Done the same to other guides on the PM.

I have heard some of the Michigan guides call non drift boaters,
"bank maggots". That was from a very good source who used to guide in Michigan. It was a different well known guide up there and lodge owner though.

PM Out
Old 12-27-2002, 03:33 PM
removed_by_request

I didn't want to use that term. Funny thing when you are with the guide you aren't a maggot. But if they spy you on the bank 2 days later he mutters bank maggots to his new maggots er clients.

The PM has way too many guides for my taste, such a small beautiful river hosting all those noisy boats. Scraping the redds when they go over them.

Guess you can tell I have no fondness for PM guides. The Mo' and Big M. is another story.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:23 AM

Matt's always gone well out of his way to avoid disrupting my fishing. He'll slow his sled and float tight behind me or far across to avoid disturbing my pool. While I'm not a fan of his or care for all his hype, I want to stand up here for him on this issue. He's a gentleman and professional on the river. I've encountered him many more times on the river than any of you. I've never witnessed him behave poorly towards other anglers.

Repeat clients are the mainstay of any good guide. I cannot imagine any guides I know insulting anglers when they're not with him. The only unprofessional guides I've met are non-locals or amateur part timers. You guys need to fish more and talk less.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:03 PM

West Mich

I've never seen MS on the rivers I fish,so don't know anything about him really, only hear say. I have seen many other guides though most of which did not bother me although I could tell when I was in the area they wanted to fish they were not pleased.

Its true there are way too many guides and DBs on the PM scraping through the redds etc...

If we did not have to work for a living I would be fishing more just wait until we are retired, than you will have to contend with us on the rivers up there which we both know very well.

Hey maybe we will become guides what do you think MJYP ?

PM Out
Old 12-28-2002, 03:57 PM
removed_by_request

Well then MS was having a bad day. My tale is not fancy just fact.

I can't change history, as you can't. This will only start an argument which I don't want. You had a good experience I had a bad one. I can only judge by my experience not yours. As you can only judge by your experience not mine. If the situations were reversed you and I would see a different view.

WM cool your bloody jets, enjoy what you have, for I like Hal will retire and fish the hell out of your rivers. I also won't be 65 when I do retire.

Hal,

Wouldn't want to guide too many bank magg.... dealing with some clients could be a pain. They all expect fish to jump in the boat. Also at times the brotherhood of guides is not a friendly lot.

Last edited by mjyp; 12-28-2002 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.