Carapace Construction- Crab Apple - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2002, 11:44 AM
President of CAC

Carapace Construction- Crab Apple

For anyone interested.. I make the carapaces first before I even put the hook in the vice... Here I have made 8. I cut one pattern for each size, then cut the others by using it at a model.. then select my feathers..note they all don't have to be the same from the partridge.. The legs are form Indian Cock #1 varient. I use these because of color and size... Put the epoxy on 4 at a time... place the feathers on, not willy nilly but with a viable pattern mostly the feathers will face toward the mouth with some ends hanging over slightly.... then when done flip them over after the epoxy sets and put the legs on with epoxy..size the legs to the crab . There is not magic formula... but note that no two are alike. I do not want to have exact copies of each..I want them ALL different. The next step is the rest of the fly..but I will also bar od dot the carapace with a brown magic marker to fill in the foam showing though..somewhat... also these are done on tan foam and the others are on Brown foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01219.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1097  

Last edited by striblue; 12-08-2002 at 11:51 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Fly chucker

Thanks, John. That clears the process up quite a bit.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:08 PM
President of CAC

I took my dog for a walk this morning and I am staring around...you know , and I start to pick up some Fall leaves... all colors of brown, red, tan... etc..... HHHHmmmm. Nice!... maybe a more good texture, ridges... you know...I will try a carapce with fall leaf frangments....
Old 12-08-2002, 12:21 PM
CND The Spey Underground

John,

Your enthusiasm and creativity continue to amaze me ( I guess that since there is no fishing right now the energy needs to go somewhere). However, as Sandi looked over my shoulder at this last post, her comment was "that is a really bad case of crabs".

Keep up the good work. Even though I will not be back your way anytime real soon the great memories of last summer are constantly brought fresh to mind by lurking at your endless creations! Cheers.

Still Living Large!
Old 12-08-2002, 12:28 PM
President of CAC

Yes.It is abad case..she is right...the fishing is over, the cape house is closed..so this is the next best thing. When you look around and at flies, sometimes I think that there is no better imitation of nature than nature. So, that's what I think about...no one can capture the true colors and shapes...but again...the big question is would a leaf carapace work... I think it would..just as most patterns do ..with the righ appearance ,then the motion and cicumstances come into play..but in winter..all I can do is work on appearance... Since that last post, I gathered a bunch of leaves in 5 minute..my wife is going bonkers and my kids just stare. As I look at them closely....my mind is racing.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:49 PM
Pencil me in.....

John, plenty of leaves in my yard. I didn't get a chance to rake this year:hehe:

Keep up the good work on the crabs. I may give those a shot next year, just completed my first clouser
Old 12-08-2002, 01:13 PM
President of CAC

Just a few monments ago here at home..to my sons..."John.....JImmy.....If you guys want to use my car today you need to go out and get me every different color leaf you can find...start at the oak tree ,move to the mapples...don't forget the scrub trees to....pronto...now "... This is the fisrt experiment...plain light brown..the reds look great....greenish ting also...I am on a roll..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc01222.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	1098  
Old 12-08-2002, 02:33 PM
President of CAC

Here is agreen crab... the front is cut in v's and supported by the epoxy on the surface. There is no surface epoxy on top of the carapace yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dsc01223.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1099  
Old 12-08-2002, 03:21 PM

I must have missed a thread on this crab fly oydessey, what is the carapace?

Must be the foam on which you place the feathers. The foam is marked up with a colored marker and epoxy to get the color into it.

These must sink slowly which I suspect is OK for low water striper flats fishing. Wonder how it would cast into the wind ?
Old 12-08-2002, 06:37 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Johnny Scissorhanz
I hope you are planning on doing a few of these beauties at the show...
I'll be looking over your shoulder taking notes!:eyecrazy:
Old 12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Pencil me in.....

Pine needles for legs next!:hehe:
Old 12-08-2002, 09:59 PM
President of CAC

Hal, the carapace is the Body..hope I have the spelling right...no problem casting these..they are really not that heavy...consider a big clouser with Dumbell and large hook AND epoxy head...These are not a casting issue at all even with an 8 wt. I will use an intermediate line with them..but If I use a depth charge it's not and issue either. They will sink rather quickly...which I want. Hope to do that at the show Pete, and John, I thought of epoxy overed twigs...like craggly crab legs but got a hold of myself... I kept saying It's a fly not a work of art from a P-town art gallery
Old 12-09-2002, 04:52 PM

Crab Photography

John,

Here are two more good books (besides the Kaplan guide) for crab photos. Seashore Animals of the Southeast by Rupert and Fox and Reef Creature Identification, Florida, Caribbean, and Bahamas by Paul Humann

DB
Old 12-09-2002, 05:30 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Dick..that's perfect.. I have been looking at the Audobon Guides on "SeaShore Creatures" and checking all the crabs and there locals... the real issue is to determin if the young ones are the same color as the bigger ones.. But those books sound perfect.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:29 AM

Crab color and shape

The Blue crab which is one of the most common inshore species both in the Keys/Bahamas and the Northeast differs in color from juvenile to adult growing from light monocolor turquoise to darker blue green with blue (and sometimes white/yellow or red) highlights. Many of the mudcrabs which grow in the mangroves are basically brown/tan throughout their lifecycle but also can take on shades of muted color in their local habitat. Mud crabs also have a distinctly different body and leg shape. While blues have oblong pointed carapaces and pronounced killing claws with secondary paddle shaped swimming legs, mud crabs often look more like spiders with rounded bodies and more uniform walking legs.

DB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.